WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Hammock @ Baxter State Park

Hi guys, I'm not finding a lot of information ... actually, I can't find ANY information ... on whether or not hammocking is allowed at Baxter State Park (specifically, South Katahdin Lake leanto). Tried calling the park directly, but no answer. Anyone able to help me out with some info?

I stayed at Roaring Brook CG this summer. Two guys in the tent site across from me were hanging.
    More walking, less talking.

HQ answers the phones 8-4.
    You need to stay inside the footprint of your site. You can't rent a lean-to, for instance, and hang in the trees out back.
    Call, and ask about your specific campsite.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I was able to hand at Katahdin Stream CG in 2010.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Baxter does answer the phones 8 to 4 but that doesn't mean you will get through. They only have so many employees in the office and the typical phone calls are long. It may take several attempts to get through. They have one published phone number for the public. I wish they would have an number for information and a number for reservations. I am not sure about the office but the park has a lot of seasonal workers who leave before labor day. They are replaced by other folks but suspect they are running short staffed through the closing of the park in the late fall.

It would be nice if they start a FAQ on the website and update it as questions are asked. I find the most recent revamp of the website a bit excessive on style versus substance, it would be nice if they put in search bar (rather than using site specific google).

++ New Posts ++