WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Most helpful

Default Most helpful

Are there a particular set of maps of the AT, National Geographic set, Gutthook, Gaia, et cetera that you found the most useful in your travel of the AT. I have hiked many many miles in the GSM and have always used the Nat Geo map. Was curious what the opinion was here.

Gutthook is definitely worth the money. Actually, it's a bargain.

I still like the AWOL printed guide for reference at home, but Gutthook on the trail for sure.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

FWIW - Given their dependability, I prefer paper maps over electronic. I've used the ATC maps for years and found them to be an excellent reference with the added benefit of supporting ATC trail maintenance efforts.

Images

I like the Nat Geo booklet maps, well designed and cover long stretches of the AT. I like seeing an overview, and I like paper. I combine that with the Guthook app for figuring out where I am and the Companion for what's in town.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Good input. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I have used Guthook on three LASH's totaling 1,875 miles of the AT and find it invaluable for locating water, exact position, campsites and shelters and when I occasionally wander off the trail, it helps me find my way back. I use the AWOL AT guide for planning mostly.

I had maps for the White Mountains, which were supposed to be sent in a provision package just before I hit the range. Unfortunately, the package did not arrive until I was in the Wildcat Mountain range. I think the Nat Geo maps are always good to have, but I really missed them in the Whites due to the many trails that shoot off the AT and join the AT. It can be a little confusing at times.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I used the .pdf version of AWOL's guide on my thru hike. A few that I hiked with had the Guthook app and my brother (I hike with him a lot) uses the AT guidebook. To me, AWOL's guide is very cut and dry, more of a "get the job done" from point A to point B type. Guthooks I found was a lot more informative especially from the comment section. People in front of you can post up and say if a the water source is good, etc.... The AT guidebook has a lot of historical information (which I really enjoy) about the trail, connecting trails, towns, etc... These were the main differences that I found and these are the only 3 I've actually used from time to time. My brother also carries an elevation map (Guthook and AWOL have this), so I never really used it. Just some differences that I've found, all 3 have great info though.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I've always been quite fond of the Keystone Trails Association maps for PA. They're compact but very detailed and extremely durable.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I am a section hiker. My sense of direction is good and I am confident in my navigation skills. I started out using ATC maps but they were TMI for me and bulky/heavy. I used Guthook in Maine and liked it. I used Gaia GPS for one section. I used Google maps to plan sections and nothing on the trail for about 300 miles (never got lost, never lost the trail). Most recently I used Anti Gravity Gear maps and have the sections for the remainder of the trail. These have enough info for my needs, are light and hold up well on a rainy day (or rainy week if you are passing through GSMNP). I expect to buy no more maps.

I prefer the pdf version of AWOL’s as phone numbers and gps coordinates are hyperlinked. You just tap on the number and call or tap on the gps coordinates and your preferred maps will show up and you can get directions. With Guthooks having an interactive design, there’s no need (in my opinion) for the paper AWOL book. For the gram weenies, you can save 2oz by swapping the 8oz paper AWOL for a 10,000mAh powerbank.

Antigravity gear maps.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

++ New Posts ++