WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bobcats Scream?

Default Bobcats Scream?

Can anyone confirm for me that the scream of a Bobcat sounds like that of a woman screaming bloody murder? I heard this recently in the Maine woods after dark...nuff to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck!

I would say it is pretty close. Another weird sounding noise at night is Rabbits being attacked by a preditor. My cat got out one night and got into a Warren of rabbits and it sounded like people screaming. It was horrible, who knew that fluffy was such a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy
    Can anyone confirm for me that the scream of a Bobcat sounds like that of a woman screaming bloody murder? I heard this recently in the Maine woods after dark...nuff to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck!
    There are other blood-curdling screamers in the Great North Woods. From owls to fishers, it would be difficult to say with any certainty that what you heard was a bobcat.
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy
    Or it could have been a Banshee, hungry for fresh souls
    Throwing pearls to swine.

I think Topcat might be onto something here. If I were a bunny in the jaws of a Bobcat I might be screaming for all I was worth till the final chomp.
    There were 7 of these screams ...starting out high pitched ...ending low pitched ,lasting about 5 seconds each. Awful!

if you heard 7 like that back to back, could very well be. Nature is beautiful but cruel, just like my first girlfriend...:-)

Know what ya sayin, had one of those once too. Meaner n a vicious Bobcat. By the way... Saw the cat tracks next morning in fresh snow so it could be narrowed down to one of the two. At least we know it's not a Yeti waiting for a thru hiker in the Bigelows.

'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I heard one that sounded closeby one night while in a shelter in GSMNP (anout the only time you will catch me in a shelter). It screamed twice, and the first time I was convinced it was a woman. The second scream sounded more like an animal, but I was not convinced as to what it was until I came off the trail and heard a mountain lion sound clip.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

I would guess that what you heard was a Fisher. I've heard both Bobcats and Fishers, and I would definitely describe the noises a Fisher makes as a "screaming woman" more-so than a Bobcat. I can't find a soundclip of a Fisher online to show you, but everyone who has ever heard one describes it exactly as you did - a woman screaming bloody murder.

Journal Entries
    Images

A rabbit can screem pretty good too. I don't know if any of you have ever heard a rabbit screem. They make a pretty earie screem when something is coming down on them.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

a fox can make some unusual sounds as well
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Off-topic, but my wife's grandmother used to have a pet bobcat back in the 60s. They even trained it to use the toilet. They were even on the cover of the Atlanta Journal and Constitution. They said it played just like a normal cat and didn't go on wild rampages trying to eat them, but they raised him from a kitten.

I heard the same screaming woman sound in Hanover, but it turned out to be Blister Sister screaming.

Actually, I did hear the same sound a day before I got to Upper Goose Pond Cabin. They said it was a mountain lion, but didn't get more specific than that. I'll tell you what, though. I was camped by myself and it sounded close and it scared the crap out of me.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I heard what I attributed to be a bobcat at the Tagg Run Shelters in southern Pennsylvania in June 1979. The scream ended abruptly when a small squeak signalled that it had caught its prey.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    There are other blood-curdling screamers in the Great North Woods. From owls to fishers, it would be difficult to say with any certainty that what you heard was a bobcat.
    The old saying "Hard tellin not knowing" applies here.
    Without a visual on this screamer, it could be any number of animals.
    Thanks for all the input...anybody else whant to take a stab at it?

woodsy

Many owls scream in ways that'll make your hair stand up. Check out the barn owl call here:

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Tyto-alba-3.mp3

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Bobcat can sound about 5 times it's size. My wife wanted to move after the first time she heard one below the house. Thought the sound came from something large enough to bust down the door. Now a peacock can sound like a woman screaming........scary!

I woke one night in a cold sweat trying to figure out what the noise I was hearing was coming from. I described as either a woman or a baby screaming for life. The next day, I was told it was a couple of bobcats mating. I can see how this could be true as I've heard the sound of common house cats when they mate and it's rather disturbing as well.

Default Barred Owl?

I was in the Adirondacks last summer, and in the early evening I heard the most awful screaming and crazy laughing coming from across a pond. At first I thought it was beer-crazed yahoos, but it slowly dawned on me that it was an animal. I decided that it was a pair of owls. I had never heard barred owls before, but there was an old-timer there that confirmed that they were making that noise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++