WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default SOBO couple with dog must tent in this flash flood

There is nobody near that allows dogs. I am posting this so folks know some of the issues with bringing a dog. This is a big storm dumping tons of rain, trees falling and the like. Not all shelters are waterproof enough to stay in in a windy storm. They are near Dalton Mass.

Journal Entries
    Images

I guess i could say "you made your bed, now you must lay in it."
    Grampie-N->2001

As of Monday evening, there are no storms nor any flash floods in Massachusetts. The remnants of Florence are far to the southwest, have merged with a front, and will be an issue in Mass. on Tuesday. The folks in your report should have had time to deal with the situation before it deteriorated, if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    There is nobody near that allows dogs. I am posting this so folks know some of the issues with bringing a dog. This is a big storm dumping tons of rain, trees falling and the like. Not all shelters are waterproof enough to stay in in a windy storm. They are near Dalton Mass.
    ain't no storm there yet. i call BS

Nothing wrong with tenting.
    Unless you didn’t bring one.
    Wayne

forecast for tomorrow (which is the worst weather on the 10 day forecast) in Dalton is for less than an inch of rain and winds below 10mph

Journal Entries

There is nobody near that allows dogs. I am posting this so folks know some of the issues with bringing a dog.
    Theres a kennel for dog boarding in dalton, as well as almost everywhere.
    And as quick search yields a plethora of hotels within 10 mi that take pets. They may charge , but thats life.

What you meant perhaps , was there is no place FREE? Or dirt cheap?

Welcome to the real world
    Where having a job, money, and ability to pay for things when needed has advantages.

Call an uber, head to hotel, eat at restaurant, problem solved.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-17-2018 at 22:13.

...or just carry a tent. For those times when things turn to Poop.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    ...or just carry a tent. For those times when things turn to Poop.
    Wayne
    you can say that again

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    As of Monday evening, there are no storms nor any flash floods in Massachusetts. The remnants of Florence are far to the southwest, have merged with a front, and will be an issue in Mass. on Tuesday. The folks in your report should have had time to deal with the situation before it deteriorated, if they wanted to.
    golly gee willikers, 24 hour prior to storm is dealing with it prior to forecast! They did and are dealing with it. I wonder if people are literate?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres a kennel for dog boarding in dalton, as well as almost everywhere.
    And as quick search yields a plethora of hotels within 10 mi that take pets. They may charge , but thats life.
    What you meant perhaps , was there is no place FREE? Or dirt cheap?
    Welcome to the real world
    Where having a job, money, and ability to pay for things when needed has advantages.
    Call an uber, head to hotel, eat at restaurant, problem solved.
    please reread, “near”
    ‘the post was not about whining.
    it was about complications in dealing with bringing a dog on a thru hike.
    using Uber and hotels on a thru hike can cost 10k or more, low price hostels and walking or getting picked up by hostel included in price is what is mostly used every 5 to 7 days on a thru hike.
    PS the forest is the “real” world, you must live in the fake one.

Images

?? The title clearly says “must stay in a tent”. Missing your point?
    tenting is not”perferred” when 4 inches of rain is in the “forecast” with damaging winds.
    ‘Trust me they have walked many days in the rain, even sent home rain coats, as they were useless in the heat.
    ‘They were on the top of saddleback in a huge lighting storm, they hide in a cave on blue mt. In a huge thunderstorm, walked out at midnight, no places to camp on the ridge. Thru hikers pay there dues!
    ‘Skyline drive is closed on account of this same storm, many trees lay across the road right now.
    There are times when it is advised to get off the trail and wait out a storm.

Images

please reread, “near”
    ‘the post was not about whining.
    it was about complications in dealing with bringing a dog on a thru hike.
    using Uber and hotels on a thru hike can cost 10k or more, low price hostels and walking or getting picked up by hostel included in price is what is mostly used every 5 to 7 days on a thru hike.
    PS the forest is the “real” world, you must live in the fake one.
    $195 is one quote from one of the hotels 10 miles away, that is ridiculous!

Well, it is the Berkshires and rooms go for a premium price out there. I paid $90 for a room in Dalton a few years ago and it was in the off season in late May or early June. Kind of a dump too.

There's a cave on Blue Mt? Maybe a rock overhang. It's hardly rained at all this summer. Couple of thunderstorms, but nothing like a typical summer up here.

Sounds like you know this couple or you just following a blog or trail journal?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well, it is the Berkshires and rooms go for a premium price out there. I paid $90 for a room in Dalton a few years ago and it was in the off season in late May or early June. Kind of a dump too.

There's a cave on Blue Mt? Maybe a rock overhang. It's hardly rained at all this summer. Couple of thunderstorms, but nothing like a typical summer up here.

Sounds like you know this couple or you just following a blog or trail journal?
    i hiked Rangley Ma to Hanover my with them, and she is my daughter. Some rock overhangs ~ cave like good protection from downpours .

The Shamrock Village Inn in Dalton has one room they set aside for people with a dog. The Inn is very hiker friendly. I stayed there earlier this summer and a woman in my bubble who had a dog stayed there as well.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Not really
    Its what the market bears in a competitive area
    So by definition....its right

Some hotels will charge up to $75 /night for pet as well. Nice way of saying we will take it, but rather you went elsewhere. My wifes shih tzu travels with us sometimes so im used to being charged, and paying to stay in pet friendly places when i could have stayed free at IHG property without the dog.

When i finished my CT hike a couple days earlier than flight out, i stayed 2 nights in Durango, hotel was $180/night for holiday inn. There was cheaper...but I stayed free so didnt care about price.

$105/night for motel in Silverton, $95 in Lake City, etc.

Again....having money when needed at spur of moment is advantageous. Trying to save money on vacation is counterproductive sometimes to enjoyment.....the reason you went.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-18-2018 at 12:20.

1234:
    Slow down. Catch your breath. Type coherently.
    Surely the flash flood watch has passed. Was it a Watch or a Warning? There’s a difference.
    Is your daughter carrying a tent?
    While shelters may be open on one side, they do provide better protection than a poorly located tent.
    Relax. Breathe. The catastrophe is gone or didn’t happen.
    If you’re in Virginia, there isn’t much you can do. Except maybe PayPal her money for a room.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

A lot of hikers carry a flat tarp in order to make the 3 sided shelters more storm worthy by blocking part of the opening. They should consider picking up a cheap blue tarp from a hardware store. I say this because you can't always avoid the really bad weather in town and there will be more as they move forward. I hiked through Vermont after another hurricane came through, so I know how bad it can be. This isn't going to be the last storm they'll face if they continue, so they should start preparing for the next one now so they aren't caught off guard.

New England is expensive to stay overnight in compared to the rest of the trail. This applies to all hikers, it's just with the dog, they are more limited in their options, but they knew that when they decided the dog was worth it. But other hikers experience a similar situation when they hike through in the NOBO bubble which reduces the supply. You do have to budget alot more for that part, which comes down to doing your research ahead of time. I certainly spent more than I planned or wanted to due to being wet at least part of everyday from the NH/ME border down into MA with the exception of a single day.

PLEASE! Do not shelter from thunderstorms under rock ledges. It is a very dangerous practice. See The Complete Walker (Later editions) for details.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++