WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Never said don't wear orange. I wear it myself. Too much fear talk is bad carma.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Roller View Post
    How many hikers have been shot by hunters on the AT. ..SNIP...Grow a set people.
    Not the AT, however...
    According to this article from a hunting-focused website:

In 2010, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife reported that in the past 20 years, 81 percent of victims in vision-related hunting incidents were not wearing hunter orange clothing.

Unless the laws of physics are different on the East Coast, a person would be wise to wear some blaze orange during hunting season.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I was just thinking, since it is fall and the woods are orange and yellow, wouldn't orange be like wearing camoflage?

I wear blaze orange during deer hunting season, mostly because my orange hat is too warm to wear in bird season. I want to be seen before a hunter shoots at his deer. But, in the areas I hike, I rarely see hunters. No one wants to shoot a deer and then drag it two miles. I can't think of a less worthwhile and joyless endeavor. I never like dragging a deer 100 yards to my truck. Too much like work.

I have been seeing a lot of ruffed grouse on my hikes, but no hunters. Saw a Spruce grouse on top of Old Speck on Saturday. Still a stupid bird.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I was just thinking, since it is fall and the woods are orange and yellow, wouldn't orange be like wearing camoflage?

I wear blaze orange during deer hunting season, mostly because my orange hat is too warm to wear in bird season. I want to be seen before a hunter shoots at his deer. But, in the areas I hike, I rarely see hunters. No one wants to shoot a deer and then drag it two miles. I can't think of a less worthwhile and joyless endeavor. I never like dragging a deer 100 yards to my truck. Too much like work.

I have been seeing a lot of ruffed grouse on my hikes, but no hunters. Saw a Spruce grouse on top of Old Speck on Saturday. Still a stupid bird.
    Come to NC and you'll see some carnage---

TRIP 140 107-L.jpg
    Big Fat Gap on the BMT in NC.

TRIP 152 067-XL.jpg
    Kirkland Creek in TN. Bear guts?? Hunters left the pile right next to the creek.

Two hikers have been accidentally shot on the Appalachian Trail by deer hunters. One was a young, novice female backpacker, off-trail a bit in the morning, in Georgia, in November. One was an older male, an experienced backpacker, on a day-hike, in Virginia, in January. Both came close to losing their lives, and their lives were permanently altered. I knew the older male hiker, and he was still in serious pain and walking with a cain, with difficulty, five months later.

As I understand it, neither victim was wearing blaze orange.

Journal Entries

Not AT, but here's a story of one Maine hunter aiming for turkey, but manages to shoot another guy in the chest. Pellet caused welt, did not penetrate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++