WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Uber along 395?

Default Uber along 395?

Does anyone know if Uber serves that section of 395 between Lone Pine and Independence?

We didn't find any Uber or Lyft drivers in Lone Pine. Perhaps there were no drivers on at the time but we searched more than a few times?

We also asked at a The Grill restaurant in Lone Pine if there were any drivers. The person we asked didn't think there were drivers for either company in Lone Pine and some other wait staff concurred.

She did mention a local who would give rides for a fee if she was not working, but we didn't pursue that much further because our plans changed when we couldn't get a rental car in Bishop.

This of course doesn't mean drivers for Uber or Lyft do not come to Lone Pine at all...I just was sharing our experience trying to find drivers. For reference this was around Aug 23-25, 2018.

Images

That might be a good summer job for my son.....

Thanks! Shoot, maybe I’ll go drive out there. Gotta be better than DC!

When we were in Bishop a few weeks ago and trying to figure-out how to get from our hotel to the ESTA pick-up site the following morning, we were told there are no regular Uber drivers in the area (and a quick check verified that, although we heard that occasionally one from another distant town will drop someone off and look for a return fare) and there are also no regular taxi companies, and our hotel (a nice one) had no shuttle . . . luckily we could walk to the bus stop . . . but there does seem to be an unmet need in some of the 395 towns -

Images

We had no problem getting shuttle drivers in Lone Pine last week. Got several phone numbers from Strider at Mt. Williamson Hotel in Independence and also from the folks at Whitney Portal Hostel in Lone Pine. After a couple of calls, we had rides back-and-forth as needed.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks Rainman! Did you happen to shuttle between Lone Pine and Independence? If so what’d run as far as cost?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Thanks Rainman! Did you happen to shuttle between Lone Pine and Independence? If so what’d run as far as cost?
    Yes, once to LP snd later back to Indy. I think one was $20 and one was perhsps $40. Different shuttlers.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Try Lone Pine Kurt.
    It is what it is.

Standing outside the LP Country Store and WP Rd/395 junction(by the USPO) at either of the gas stations I've got quick talk up a rides. There're also buses that run between the two. In Indy you'll find a taxi service and local shuttlers. Check out the usual hiker haunts(hotels, etc). It's common for vehicles traveling between the two that are hikers. It's your type of crowd.

395 along the Eastern Sierra is a simple hitch (minus Lee Vining). Also got a ride from the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce in exchange for a nominal donation to the Chamber.

No Uber but the easiest hitchhiking I’ve encountered anywhere. In September, I easily got rides between Onion Valley and Independence, Independence and Lone Pine, and even between Lone Pine and Lancaster on a day the bus wasn’t running.

Looking for links or hard data for a ride from Whitney Portal to Onion Valley this August. Anyone have phone numbers for any of the above mentioned excellent suggestions?! May just google Lone Pine Chamber and call and ask. Seems weird but so am i.

Looking for links or hard data for a ride from Whitney Portal to Onion Valley this August. Anyone have phone numbers for any of the above mentioned excellent suggestions?! May just google Lone Pine Chamber and call and ask.

https://www.eastsidesierrashuttle.com/

They do that route by reservation.

We shared a shuttle with someone from Independence to the Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass trailhead using this service.

I contacted lone pine Kurt!

++ New Posts ++