WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Images

Sorry for your loss... I know how that feels having lost my mom 12 years go.
    Sort of a moot point at this point... but was there no autopsy, nothing that would had done a blood test that might have at least said what her blood sugar was like?
    But then I guess an autopsy isn't normally performed if its highly suspected someone died of "natural" causes.

thanks...

these last few months have not been good for me as its the hindsight of what i could have done better for her...

and yeah------the funeral guy said an autopsy would not come back with a distinct cause of death...

and yeah, since it was a natural death---an autopsy wouldnt have been performed.....

Images

BTW: I've found another new story that lends additional credence to the idea she was likely travelling down hill while off trail:

yeah...

that's what most searchers have told me.....

and Dwight McCarter, who was a park ranger that helped out in alot of searches (now retired) has said the same thing...

and i think thats how they do most searches once they the search crews finish up doing the on trail stuff....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    while the dollar map is pretty generic (and to me, its actually one of the best maps of the Park)
    Agreed... even though I know most of the trails pretty well, I never go into GSMNP without the trail map. Combined with the signs at each intersection, it's all you GENERALLY need to avoid getting lost.
    There are a few man-ways or old re-routed trails that can trip you up... but with situational awareness, you can usually find you're back on the main trail (because the unlabeled trail has been rerouted) or you quickly find you're at a dead end and simply back-track to the last intersection.

Images

and that the sign is still in place}

from my experience----people really dont rip the signs down in the Park...

they do rip them down and destroy them in wilderness places like Joyce Kilmer and Slickrock...

which is kinda ironic because for the most part----trails in the Park are easy to follow, while stuff in wilderness area (just do mainly to usage) is not necessarily so....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    thats how it was with my mom-----nobody had heard from her in a day or so, so i called police to do a welfare check (cause i knew thats what police does) and called neighbor who was a volunteer firefighter....he was already out the door when i called as he heard it come across his radio...........and they found her on the floor.....

thats the key----knowing how to read it and such....

while the dollar map is pretty generic (and to me, its actually one of the best maps of the Park)-----some people cant read and comprehend it...........and some people dont have a sense of direction....

sadly, my crew who is doing a follow up story today probably wont know to ask what she had on her...

i gave my guy some questions to ask but doubt he will (didnt tell him to ask about map though)....

They found my father in law on hotel room floor, had hit his head on table corner when collapsed, so they knew it was sudden.

Lots of times get cell signal on ridgeline in park with verizon. Her phone might be interesting

I downloaded google maps area for offline and used my phone gps for comfort on some dayhikes in middle east. So easy to do....with a little forethought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    This image almost makes it look like you have to run into the sign coming up the bypass trail.
    {And of course this assumes my suggested sequence of events is correct and that the sign is still in place}
    I hiked the AT through there the day before she disappeared and the sign was there.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

They found my father in law on hotel room floor, had hit his head on table corner when collapsed, so they knew it was sudden.

that was one of my questions i had for the people that found her (police, neighbor, and funeral guy)-------she was found beside her bed and near the nightstand......but there was no trauma of hitting her head....

sad part, her "ive fallen and cant get up button" was on that nightstand.....she had taken it off to take a shower.......she had a couple of falls last year and had gotten that button......

sorry to hear about your dad, Muddy........guess the "good" news it was sudden and didnt suffer........i hope the same for my mother...

Images

Lots of times get cell signal on ridgeline in park with verizon. Her phone might be interesting

yeah.......

and i doubt the general public will never know details such as that that hopefully the Park has in its investigation....

Journal Entries

Sad situation...maybe the park should charge an extra buck and issue a whistle on a string with the permit , emergency use only.Such a basic, lightweight item...may well have helped people find Geraldine Largay up in Maine and possibly this lady.....I love my peace and quiet along the trail but everyone should carry some kind of system to alert others in times of need.

Journal Entries

She [geraldine], could also have helped herself by lighting a fire......always carry a firestarter of some kind...

Images

maybe the park should charge an extra buck and issue a whistle on a string with the permit

god no.....

in the Smokies-----one would hear nothing but whistles from people trying them out to see if they "worked"........

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    She [geraldine], could also have helped herself by lighting a fire......always carry a firestarter of some kind...
    Shelter and insulation is a lot more important than a fire. Communication would likely have solved the problem all by itself. And, if it's wet, there isn't much chance of the average person being able to get a fire going. Can you tell that I think fire starter is over rated as a survival tool?

In the end, we can come up with all kinds of "if only" statements, which really don't mean much since the whole reason this person got into trouble is likely specifically because she didn't do any of those "if only" things. . . If only she stayed with her daughter. If only she didn't go hiking that day. If only their car broke down before they got out of the driveway. There are endless and thus meaningless "if only"s.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The evidence shows that she did. Why did you assume otherwise?

Journal Entries

Sadly, Geraldine had shelter and was found in her tent in her sleeping bag..close to the trail...so a whistle may have helped, who knows....if it's dry, a fire would certainly help from the air. If it's wet, as in this case, a whistle could surely have done no harm.
    True, "what if's" don't solve all the problems.....but it may help future hikers to at least be better prepared.

Journal Entries

I did read about geraldine...and also read that there was no fire ....perhaps I was misinformed..

I did read about geraldine...and also read that there was no fire ....perhaps I was misinformed..
    Pretty sure Largay had a fire at some point, could be wrong

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Pretty sure Largay had a fire at some point, could be wrong
    She apparently tried to set fire to a big tree.
    Which, if you ever try, isnt easy. Even in not wet conditions.

You have to start small, and gradually make much larger. Getting large enough fuel to her fire may been issue at some point.

If she only had a general idea of where she was on her map, she should have been able to find trail again. She was truly not qualified to hike alone. Very sad.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-03-2018 at 17:32.

Journal Entries

Found close to the trail, as was geraldine largay...my thoughts and prayers go out to her family...sad ending.

We know where her daughter last saw her, we know where she was found. Anything else is pure speculation.

-

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    We know where her daughter last saw her, we know where she was found. Anything else is pure speculation.
    for us, if dogs tracked her, the path would be known by the searchers

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++