WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    For some reason, I can't stop thinking about this story. The picture of the lady and her daughter with whom she was hiking before she got lost really hit home. I think this is an example of how quickly things can go wrong in the mountains, particularly if one isn't prepared.

I am really holding out hope for a miracle here. This is her fourth day now out in the wild.

The longer she is missing the more concerned I become.

With apologies to TNhiker, the WATE TV story illustrates the weather difference in altitude. In one scene they are interviewing the park service spokesperson in sunny Gatlinburg and the next scene is at the Clingman's Dome parking lot with high wind and dense fog.

And that was before the cold front came through dumping 2 or 3 inches of rain.

Images

No worries....

our orignal story shows basically the same thing...

https://www.wbir.com/mobile/video/ne...ies/51-8264938

Images

For some reason I couldn't get that video to load yesterday, I see it now.

I'm not clear on how far they hiked before they separated. Forney Ridge trail descends from the parking lot then at the junction with Forney Creek trail it climbs to reach Andrews Bald. It might be easy to take wrong trail but I would think it should be well marked.

I've been there 4 or 5 times but it's been a while. Typically that area is not overgrown. Very rocky from my recollection.

She could have stepped off trail to answer call of nature then turned wrong way on returning to trail. But if she was still on Forney Ridge she should have met her daughter.

Forney Creek trail is steady downhill for about 7 miles before it intersects with Jonas Creek and passes a couple of backcountry sites along the way. Had she gone that way you would think she would have realized that at some point.

Andrews Bald is the same area where Trenny Gibson went missing in 1976.

Just got back from a week long hiking trip out in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. Thought about the smokies the whole time. Sure didn't want to see this when I logged onto here this morning. Sad news

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mitzie-...ee-2018-09-30/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wo...ark/ar-BBNMhaY

https://usa-newnews.com/2018/10/01/m...eed-to-know-2/

Mitzie Sue Clements, 53 years old, is still missing. Above are links to the most recent CBS News, Newsweek and USA articles. National news coverage for a missing hiker is unusual.

Am I the only one (let's be honest here) who has thought - the daughter was the last one to see here and the search is based off the info she has given, could the daughter have done something? And the other thought I had was in remembering the dude who killed like 3 hikers (or more) by kidnapping them off the AT (and possibly another trail) probably 15-20 years ago?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I will also recall the search for the older woman on the AT in ME a few years back and how close she was to the trail when they finally found her body, so that's always possible but these searchers should have a GREAT idea of where to search.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

-

as this was not a distance hiker (little or no gear to sustain life) - have to figure she is done - and as there is no hunting in the smokies, so not much off trail travel, I would say by now it is unlikely for remains yo be found

-

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Am I the only one (let's be honest here) who has thought - the daughter was the last one to see here and the search is based off the info she has given, could the daughter have done something
    watch a lot of TV huh

Am I the only one (let's be honest here) who has thought - the daughter was the last one to see here and the search is based off the info she has given, could the daughter have done something? And the other thought I had was in remembering the dude who killed like 3 hikers (or more) by kidnapping them off the AT (and possibly another trail) probably 15-20 years ago?
    And the wild speculations begin.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 10-01-2018 at 13:40.

Am I the only one (let's be honest here) who has thought - the daughter was the last one to see here and the search is based off the info she has given, could the daughter have done something? ...
    What a ****ass thing to say. Why don't you ****.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Am I the only one (let's be honest here) who has thought - the daughter was the last one to see here and the search is based off the info she has given, could the daughter have done something?
    Possible? Yes
    Inappropriate to bring up in a public forum? Yes

But I'll make a few points:
    1. If you commit a crime along Forney Ridge Trail, you risk witnesses to the crime itself, and you'd have to expect searcher to find physical evidence.
    2. If you commit a crime outside the park and simply come to the park to report a missing person, you risk witnesses contradicting your testimony of where, when, and with whom you had been.

Images

Its fair to wonder about the daughter, but seems much less likely to be a criminal scenario than simply a younger person with less patience for walking slow, and possibly wanting some alone time. As an introvert, that's the first thing that comes to my mind - just being honest.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Read a book a few years ago about several SAR cases in GSMNP. In a few cases, remains were never found. But based on the time of year, and just how large the park is, I believe her chances of still being alive are significant. Let's hope!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Its fair to wonder about the daughter, but seems much less likely to be a criminal scenario than simply a younger person with less patience for walking slow, and possibly wanting some alone time. As an introvert, that's the first thing that comes to my mind - just being honest.

that seems the more logical answer....

fwiw-----the daughter has been (im being told at least by my crews) at the command center at least up til friday......not sure if she was there over the weekend or today..

It seems inconceivable that she'd be on a trail and not yet found. That would leave only the unlikely scenarios. I wonder if they have found anyone else that remembers seeing or talking to her at Clingman's dome.

Images

I wonder if they have found anyone else that remembers seeing or talking to her at Clingman's dome.

thats kinda the answer i cannot get........as in, not sure if my people have asked about it or not...

let me ask around my people....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    It seems inconceivable that she'd be on a trail and not yet found. That would leave only the unlikely scenarios. I wonder if they have found anyone else that remembers seeing or talking to her at Clingman's dome.
    I had backcountry permits for AT through the Smokies last week. I received an email with details of her disappearance and asking if any backcountry permit holders had seen her and if so asked them to contact the Park ASAP. So they were attempting to contact those that were known to be in the area at the time.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

fwiw----the Park issued a new press release at about 3:20 pm eastern time, but other than listing a few new agencies that are helping, and the description of her shoes, there isnt really any new info...

so i didnt bother to clip and paste it in this thread....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    I had backcountry permits for AT through the Smokies last week. I received an email with details of her disappearance and asking if any backcountry permit holders had seen her and if so asked them to contact the Park ASAP. So they were attempting to contact those that were known to be in the area at the time.

that's one benefit of the new reservation system.......

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++