WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 299 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell
    No, I would say not; but after 1100 posts , his bail out on last years plans, his exhaustive posts on everything under the sun, and his claim to being used to very cold conditions, I imagine people are curious about his progress. Since he started early, and most people who drop out do so before they hit NC, I can see why we are getting the "play by play". Oh well. Like I said before: ain't scrutiny a bitch?

25 to 1 neo

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    25 to 1 neo
    I keep seeing these odds...and I'll take them.

I'll put down a $10 donation to Whiteblaze if he makes it. I'll take on the first 4 to bet against him, I'll even let you pick the odds. Lone Wolf and Neo have already given theirs.

A potential $40 donation to Whiteblaze.net is in the balance, against donations of about $1000 if he kisses the Katahdin sign - unless the odds start getting lower when real dough's on the line.

Step right up, don't start getting shy now. Show me the money!

Who's first?
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-21-2006 at 21:19.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

He'll yellow blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    He'll yellow blaze.
    Yellow blaze, I lose. So you're in? 25-1?

Journal Entries
    Images

hey lone wolf, what if blue blazes along with the yellow and an occasional whiteblaze..............you think that might count???????

Hey guys, I realize that because of some of his posts, and sometimes his strident tone, that Smitty wasn't the most popular person here at Whiteblaze.

But am I the only one who thinks that openly betting on someone's chances of success or failure on the Trail is more than a little mean-spirited?

After all, say what you like about him, but at least he's out there, and in February, too. Whether he makes it to Maine or not, the very fact that he IS out there, while the rest of us are sitting somewhere warm and toasty in front of a computer, ought to score him some points, and maybe a little more respect.

Personally, I have no idea if he's gonna make it or not. But even if I did have some kind of insider knowledge or speculation, I'd probably keep it to myself.
    Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me.

Images

He'll yellow blaze.
    25 to 1 neo

Images

He'll yellow blaze.
    maybe he will brown blaze with shank and quest
    still 25 to 1. neo

Journal Entries
    Images

Is he doing something special that we need an update every 10 miles as to his whereabouts?
    yes, he is a scientist you know...........there are two types of people who will probably never do a complete thru and those are the thinkers and the ones who want to be totally recognized as this is the greatest adventure of my lifetime and "you need to know about it"........................

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    But am I the only one who thinks that openly betting on someone's chances of success or failure on the Trail is more than a little mean-spirited? ... Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me.
    I agree, I was trying to make the point that talk is cheap. The bottom line is that as of this moment, despite the odds being thrown around, nobody is willing to bet against him.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-21-2006 at 21:56.

I hope he makes it and the experience is transformational.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey guys, I realize that because of some of his posts, and sometimes his strident tone, that Smitty wasn't the most popular person here at Whiteblaze.

But am I the only one who thinks that openly betting on someone's chances of success or failure on the Trail is more than a little mean-spirited?

After all, say what you like about him, but at least he's out there, and in February, too. Whether he makes it to Maine or not, the very fact that he IS out there, while the rest of us are sitting somewhere warm and toasty in front of a computer, ought to score him some points, and maybe a little more respect.

Personally, I have no idea if he's gonna make it or not. But even if I did have some kind of insider knowledge or speculation, I'd probably keep it to myself.
    Whether or not he stays the course is mainly up to him. For folks here at WB to be guessing---or betting---over his chances seems kind of unseemly, but maybe that's just me.
    your right bj, we shouldn't be pantering the guy..................you know though , i think he's gonna show 'em up........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    I hope he makes it and the experience is transformational.
    I'll second that, and to me this is really the important part of his hike that has nothing to do with the bit of fun seen in this thread. Lets face it, its refreshing to get a few good natured jabs in at MS after all his 1100 posts. He's hiking, so we don't have to endure his long winded replies. As to laying odds? I imagine MS laughing about that. We reap what we sow.

Images

Oh, and good luck MS, I hope you have a great journey.

Like him or hate him... he's already out there... and I am stuck here with a month to go! Good luck MS.*** the naysayers.

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    25 to 1 neo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    The bottom line is that as of this moment, despite the odds being thrown around, nobody is willing to bet against him.
    I got 5 bucks says he don't. And I never even met him. Who am I betting with, L. Wolf or Neo?
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Images

I also want to throw out the thought that it's possible - only possible, mind you - that some people have signed onto Whiteblaze and created on-line personalities that bear little resemblence to their real-life pesonas. In other words, their on-line forum time was a performance art.

Trolling is another term for it.

Imagine the chagrin of the rubes suckered into that bit of play-acting!

This post may be completely off-topic.

Maybe. So, back on topic. $10 a shot here! Funny how many mouths are open until people are asked to stick money into them, isn't it?
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-21-2006 at 22:40.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler
    I got 5 bucks says he don't. And I never even met him. Who am I betting with, L. Wolf or Neo?
    You're betting me. So you want 0.5 to 1 odds? Not even willing to post even money? Boy, those odds against MS sure have have fallen fast! They've dropped 50-fold in one hour!

You're on. That's one. Three more slots available. Next?
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-21-2006 at 22:42.

Images

You're a good man, Jack, well said!
    It's a great day to be alive !

Default I'm Not Betting

I'm not MS -- thank goodness for that -- but if I was MS and someone bet against me and I quit -- I believe I'd be sitting at home sitting in my lazyboy recliner with a beer in one hand and the Companion in the other and type "updates" until I "summitted."

And I won't even mention that about 99% of those who report their hike to the ATC haven't met the requirements for doing so.

Page 3 of 299 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++