WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 299 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default MinnesotaSmith Update

He's at Woody Gap today. Said he got a touch dehydrated one day and took a zero at Gooch Mtn. shelter. Sounded in good spirits. He's hoping to connect with the Hiker Hostel for tonight.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

20some miles out and he's looking for a hostel. 1 in 25 chance.

It's nice that you're looking after him DWM. You are truly one of the nicest folks I have ever met on any trail at any time. And I mean that - 100%.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Ah, shucks, Mowg...

So I should cancel my plans to raise funds for Whiteblaze by selling t-shirts with a cartoon of Prophet Muhammed hiking the AT?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

I'm sure he will love thier dog. Watch out Maggie!!

And then there is Neel Gap!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    I'm sure he will love thier dog. Watch out Maggie!!

And then there is Neel Gap!
    Wonder how he feels about frisbees?!
    Best of luck to you, Minnesota .
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default I'm at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega tonight...

It's a VERY nice place, with people to match.

FYI, Lone Wolf, I started at Amicalola, making it to Black Gap shelter the first night, about 7 miles. There was snow alongside the Trail (and often on it) almost the whole way from the Falls to over a mile past Stover Creek shelter. Yesterday I hiked in sleet for about 90 minutes, and in freezing rain for four hours. I heard that there is 3 feet of snow in the Smokies right now, with some hikers stuck at Fontana and Erwin. I'm carrying a tarptent, so even though I've got a 0-degree bag (spent 13 hours in it last night), won't camp in subfreezing temps if I can avoid it right now (I've never hidden being a shelter weenie). Too, I preferred not to try to make the ~11.6 miles from Gooch to Woods Hole in a single shot, as 8 or so is my upper limit right now, with a pack with winter gear and the conditions, not to mention my not-yet-gone gut.

I've met in person these thruhikers: Red Blaze, Sunset, Trek (on his 4th thru -- great guy, talked with him for hours), a young couple (no trail names yet) from Connecticut (the girl was named Elizabeth), Lone Star & another guy from WhiteBlaze (trail name starts with G or B), and one other guy. There's a guy named Bruno from Germany I've twice missed by one day. Anyway, my clothes are done washing, and it's time to attend them.

My hiking staff is working out like a charm, DWM.

T-Mobil cell phone (likely getting mailed home at Neels) worked on top of Springer, and at Woody Gap, and that has been it so far.

Good night, all.

tideblazer
    Images

Good going, MN! Keep it up!

Wookie
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Default Thanks, Wook...

Encouragement never hurts.

That other thruhiker I met was Crutch. He broke a heel bone on his thru attempt up in PA last year, and is trying again this year. Nice guy, knowledgeable about the Trail, and a fast hiker.

Default Plus...

No mosquitos/gnats/chimpmunks/bears/flying squirrels/raccoons so far, and very little mouse activity in the shelters I've been in.

Journal Entries
    Images

minnesotasmith, i wouldn't worry too much what ole lone wolf has to say...through his discouraging words he may help you to want to do it that much more........it's his form of reverse psychosis.........

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    He's at Woody Gap today. Said he got a touch dehydrated one day and took a zero at Gooch Mtn. shelter. Sounded in good spirits. He's hoping to connect with the Hiker Hostel for tonight.
    Thank you DWM. It's an important service for many of us to know exactly where and when not to hike this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    your right neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    It's a VERY nice place, with people to match.

FYI, Lone Wolf, I started at Amicalola, making it to Black Gap shelter the first night, about 7 miles. There was snow alongside the Trail (and often on it) almost the whole way from the Falls to over a mile past Stover Creek shelter. Yesterday I hiked in sleet for about 90 minutes, and in freezing rain for four hours. I heard that there is 3 feet of snow in the Smokies right now, with some hikers stuck at Fontana and Erwin. I'm carrying a tarptent, so even though I've got a 0-degree bag (spent 13 hours in it last night), won't camp in subfreezing temps if I can avoid it right now (I've never hidden being a shelter weenie). Too, I preferred not to try to make the ~11.6 miles from Gooch to Woods Hole in a single shot, as 8 or so is my upper limit right now, with a pack with winter gear and the conditions, not to mention my not-yet-gone gut.

I've met in person these thruhikers: Red Blaze, Sunset, Trek (on his 4th thru -- great guy, talked with him for hours), a young couple (no trail names yet) from Connecticut (the girl was named Elizabeth), Lone Star & another guy from WhiteBlaze (trail name starts with G or B), and one other guy. There's a guy named Bruno from Germany I've twice missed by one day. Anyway, my clothes are done washing, and it's time to attend them.

My hiking staff is working out like a charm, DWM.

T-Mobil cell phone (likely getting mailed home at Neels) worked on top of Springer, and at Woody Gap, and that has been it so far.

Good night, all.
    t-mobile sucks,i have used my cingular from georgia to newhampshire so far neo

Images

good luck minn.smith,hope ya make it dude, neo

Images

Keep on truckin'!

Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    30 second laugh on that!!!

Hang in there Minnesota..remember that you are doing more than 99.999% of the people in the country. And you are doing it in lousy weather.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by digger51
    Hang in there Minnesota..remember that you are doing more than 99.999% of the people in the country. And you are doing it in lousy weather.
    Yup. Absolutely true. Which is why I think April 1 is probably the ideal start date. There's little, realistically, to limit what dedicated humans can do. But the wisest among us don't go out of our way to make things more difficult. MS. You are on your way. Stick with it. But truly take your time. There is no rush. Katahdin will remain, now, as forever, "the mountain of the people of Maine.": Percival Baxter..

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 02-20-2006 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    But the wisest among us don't go out of our way to make things more difficult.

Weary
    I believe that to be an opinion and far from fact. To each their own.

Page 1 of 299 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++