Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NOBO versus flip flop mid April 2019 hiking buddy

Planning on thru hike 2019. Just retired and AT is on my bucket list! I'm fit, active but not a lot of back backing experience so a little nervous. Have my gear, and learning the ropes on how to navigate with a full back pack. Boy those ounces quickly add up to pounds. I want to avoid large crowds, but don't want to be hiking alone (hubby not interested in long distance hiking). Two plans, one is to have later start in Amicalola Falls on April 15th and hike NOBO. The other plan is to start in Harper's Ferry on April 28th, after the flip flop fair. Hike NOBO to Katahdin then transport back to Harper's Ferry and SOBO to Mt Springer. Only thing holding me back from flip flop is the logistics of transport back to Harper's Ferry. To me it looks like the easiest would be car rental. Would love a hiking buddy to start out with until I get a few days under my belt. Anyone else planning late start of Flip Flop would love to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    Planning on thru hike 2019. Just retired and AT is on my bucket list! I'm fit, active but not a lot of back backing experience so a little nervous. Have my gear, and learning the ropes on how to navigate with a full back pack. Boy those ounces quickly add up to pounds. I want to avoid large crowds, but don't want to be hiking alone (hubby not interested in long distance hiking). Two plans, one is to have later start in Amicalola Falls on April 15th and hike NOBO. The other plan is to start in Harper's Ferry on April 28th, after the flip flop fair. Hike NOBO to Katahdin then transport back to Harper's Ferry and SOBO to Mt Springer. Only thing holding me back from flip flop is the logistics of transport back to Harper's Ferry. To me it looks like the easiest would be car rental. Would love a hiking buddy to start out with until I get a few days under my belt. Anyone else planning late start of Flip Flop would love to hear from you!
    I am arriving in Harpers Ferry either Friday or Saturday and leaving NOBO on the 28th of April. I want to be in PineGrove Furnace State park the following Saturday to attend the Mid Atlantic Hammock Hangers associations spring event. MAHHA, mmmm! There should be a dozen or more folks heading North on the same weekend as you. That's one of the nice things about leaving on a flip flop is less of a crowd and mild weather ( I hope). Some of the early thru hiker departures that make good miles may be in the mix but you never know how the weather was in the south. You won't be alone as you'll make friends as you hike. Plus meet thru hikers at the festival. Don't over think things. Pm me if you need any gear advice. I will probably also rent a car to get back to HF when the time comes. Peace, Two Tents and my little black dog, ben.

Thanks for advice, especially about the overthinking

-

springer in mid / late april will be hot

logistics back to harpers is not that tough, just several steps - you have to do just about the same to get home anyway

AT lodge shuttles you to medway - cyr bus to bangor - concord trailways to boston - plane, bus or train to DC / harpers

going to harpers, the Amtrak from Chicago is a nice ride and cheap

The only real problem with a flip flop is when you flop back to VA, it's blistery hot and insanely humid. Of course, starting NOBO in Mid April, you hit about the same area about the same time, so there's no way to avoid it either way.

However, having hiked PA in May and having hiked PA in June, hiking PA in May was significantly more pleasant, with just enough others about to keep from getting lonely.

Harpers Ferry to Katahdin is a good hike in it's own right. Concentrate on getting that far and you might find yourself saying "that was nice, but I've had enough".
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

-

or take a vacation from your hike and start back sobo from harpers in sept to beat the heat - and crowds

Thank you for all of the tips. Like the laid back plan. Will see where this journey takes me next April.

You're my a year too early for me��

Journal Entries

Check the AT Conservancy website for thru-hiking options. One flip flop option has one starting at the bottom of Shenandoah NP. Good way to get your trail legs before Harper's Ferry. If you start early April, you'll be ahead of much of the bubble, and you'll get to HF in time for the festival. Something to think about. have a great hike. I may see you out there.

I’ll be NOBO from HF around May 1. Not sure if I’ll take in the flip flop festival days before. Perhaps we’ll run into each other
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Images

I am looking at a Flip Flop starting south of Harpers Ferry Mid April to arrive around flip flop festival. I definitely like the flexibility of flip flop with no rush to reach Katahdin. I attempted NOBO in 2017 and had to leave my hike due to death in the family. I learned from that attempt I did not like the large crowds in Georgia starting late March. The tenting areas filled quickly - never looked at shelters which had higher crowding rate. Also found myself rushing to make miles to reach hostels to secure my spot I had reserved. It took away from the hike as I was on a "time schedule" which was one of the things I wanted to get away from. Logistically I plan on taking a little time home before flying back to Harpers Ferry for SOBO portion. Options to Washington airport and train to Harpers Ferry also shuttle options for returning to the trail. Hope to see you on the trail.

I am thinking Mid April Harper's north if that works. Did Georgia to Harper's spring 2018

Thanks for the info!

Would be awesome to hook up with you. Avoiding crowds is one of my biggest reasons for flip flopping. Were you thinking of starting at bottom of Shenandoah?
    That sounds appealing to me.

tentative plan is to start April 28 at Harpers after the Flip Flop Festival. Hope to see you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    You can always do the Modified Cool Breeze thru hike recommended by the ATC. This way you would avoid both extreme heat and cold. Here is a link to there webpage with various different thru hikes.

http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...iking/flipflop

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    or take a vacation from your hike and start back sobo from harpers in sept to beat the heat - and crowds
    I have that sort of plan in mind when I retire: hike for 2-3 months at a time, rest up & recover for a month or more, and get back out. By doing that, I hope to hike the AT and PCT and more, in sections, at more or less ideal times of year, without beating the crap out of myself. At 65+ years old, I'm not sure the body will appreciate 5-6 straight months on the trail.

Thanks for sending link. I had looked at these before, but was good to review.

I too am looking for a partner. I completed from Springer Mtn. to Clingmans Dome, and all of Shenandoah National Park, in 2016. I am an expert woodsman. My plans are not firm, but when I started out I did as much "slackpacking" as I could - doing a segment of the trail every day or so, then getting off the trail in the evening, by having my car pre-positioned at my exit point. I did this by using shuttle drivers to help me stage my car in the morning. There are a lot of areas in N. GA where one can do this. There are also areas where you have to be out for 3 or 4 days as there are no roads intersecting the trail. It was a good way to get my trail legs working. In spring in 2019 I am planning on going to Damascus, VA, and doing a week or two or three of slack packing, as it will still be very cold yet, and I will be getting some miles in every day and then getting off. I plan on hiking south until mid April or so, and then going back to Damascus and heading north until I get to Shenandoah. I may also go to Harper's Ferry instead. I really really want to avoid the big wave of hikers that start from GA in the spring. They tend to talk until late at the shelters, keeping people awake, and the shelters are all overflowing. In 2016 I hiked solo and slept solo, rarely near a shelter. I sleep in a hammock. It is the ONLY way to stay completely dry during a pouring thunder storm. The shelters are FULL of field mice, which are about half the size of a rat. The mice are covered in ticks, and some of the ticks are carrying Lyme's Disease. The mice will eat a hole in your pack, even if there is no food in it. There are no field mice issues when camping away from the shelters. The shelters often have big rattlesnakes or copperhead snakes under them, as they are there to prey on the mice. Also, there is crime on the AT, and almost all of it has occurred at shelters, and especially shelters within a mile or so of a highway. As a solo hiker one is more of a target to robbers and serial killers, which are out there on the trail. Rare yes, but they are out there. I am not a fast hiker. I was averaging about 9 or 10 miles a day. But I stop and take everything in if I see something interesting. Many, most actually, hike the trail like they are on a military mission, trying to get in as many miles per day as they can, and they spend the whole day looking down at their feet. I am a combat veteran, 6'2", and am very comfortable in the woods. I am a retired geological engineer. What would work extremely well is for two hikers to hike together, taking two cars. Leave one car at the place where you enter the trail each time, and position the other car up ahead, where you plan on getting off the trail. This would be much much cheaper than paying a shuttle driver $30 to $60 dollars every time you need help moving your car. It is very nice to have a car when you get off the trail for resupply and going out to eat in a decent restaurant. Some of the trail towns are real nice and with a car you can explore those towns too, when you are off the trail for resupply. Plus you can drive to a WalMart and get food much cheaper and fresher than what one encounters in the stores and shops close to the trail. Eating trail food every day gets old very quickly. Most hikers get off the trail every 3 to 5 days for resupply, a shower, and a bed. My name is Will Wright. I live in Sarasota, FL. 941-321-5001 is my cell. If this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, no worries. And I am very flexible about most everything - I'm retired.

Journal Entries
    Images

I, as a past thru hiker, would recommend not to flip flop. I started my hike NOBO from Springer on April 13. Hiked in back of the bubble. Never thought the trail was crowded. During this part of my hike I met many new friends. At Doncannon, PA I decided to flip to Maine in order not to be pressed for time. Hiking SOMO starting July 22 I met fewer hikers on the trail. Most hikers were going NOBO. I missed all my hiker friends from my NOBO hike. It was nice to meet some of them as our path crossed again, but these
    meetings were brief. I met very few lasting friends during the SOBO portion of my hike. The friends I met going NOBO never matched the ones I met going SOBO. I regretted that I didn’t do my hike as a triditional NOBO hiker.
    Before you decide to flip flop I would advise talk to others who flipped.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++