Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have done three section hikes at the bottom of the AT.
    Starting in the End of February one time and the mid march the other two.

There are enough people about and your pace and stamina dictates weather you walk with others.

I'm all for mid to end of March start.

I started April 13th and finished October 5th in a traditional Nobo hike. Unless you're really concerned you won't be able to finish in six months, I would recommend a Nobo hike just because Katahdin was truly the most amazing (and challenging) mountain of the whole trip, and it is a worthy finale. Finishing anywhere else would feel anticlimactic to me. In mid-April, the trail was not too crowded at the beginning. After the first week of April, there were 20-25 people starting per day, instead of 50+ like almost every day in March. Considering how many shelters and campsites there are in the early part of the trail, nothing was ever overflowing with people. For the most part, I only saw full shelters on rainy nights. Except for the Smokies and Shenandoah, I never felt like we were in the "bubble" until Pennsylvania or so, when we started catching up to big "tramilies" of March starters. Even then, it wasn't all the time. Some days, there would be two or three other hikers at a shelter, other days fifteen or twenty.

That said, any thru hike is better than none, so if you feel more comfortable with the flexibility of a flip flop, go for it! The main advantage I could see there would be weather-related. Going Nobo was very hot from mid-VA until basically Vermont, and you're at the lowest elevation during the hottest, muggiest months. It would have been nice to do NH and Maine in August and really take advantage of those beautiful lakes while it's warm enough to swim. That said, from what I've heard, you don't want to get to New England too early or you'll get eaten up by the bugs!
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Thank you for all the great information. Still not sure of my final plan. Wish I would have seen your post earlier as I was in Sarasota this past week visiting family. We could have met up. The car plan is appealing and a subject I broached with my husband. Will touch base once I get things figured out.

Hi. I am planning to Flip Flop Thru Hike in 2019. I anticipate starting in Harpers Ferry on April 28 or 29 after attending the Flip Flop Festival, and heading NOBO to Katahdin. I'd then transport back down to Harpers Ferry to SOBO to Springer. Not sure if I'll be flying or arranging something else for the flip. I am currently 58 years old, and I want to do this hike before I reach 60. Everything I've read says a flip flop is a good way to go. Hiking with fairly good weather, avoiding crowds, easier terrain to develop trail legs early on. (The ATC has a good article encouraging a Flip Flop). I'm in pretty decent shape. I've done various section hikes of the AT, no longer than a week at a time. But I feel it's now or never to do a Thru Hike. I like the idea of knowing others on the trail, even if we don't actually hike during the day together. It's especially nice to meet up at a designated shelter or campsite for the night. (I'm still working on overcoming fear of camping alone). So anyway, if you decide you might like to flip flop, I'll be going down at that time if you'd like to meet up. (I'm sure there'll be quite a few leaving around that date).

I'm planning on heading north from HF April the 26th or 27th. I'm 21, and not in the best shape so I expect I'll be on the slow side. Glad to see there will be some other women heading out around that time though. Hope to see y'all on trail!

I'll be are starting in Amicola on Sunday April 14 if you are interested in joining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++