WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Food Bags

I classify my food bags in Liter sizes---so for a six day trip I would probably take a single 20 liter sea to summit silnyon UL bag.

Without resupply on a 21-24 day trip I take one 20 liter bag for my cookables (stuff to cook---dinners mostly), one 35 liter bag for my snackables---and a third long thermarest stuff sack for my loaves of bread and third food bag.

Food bags are disposable items and I've been thru dozens over the years. In the old days I used sleeping bag stuff sacks.

TRIP 120 016-L.jpg
    Here's a typical long trip load---about 50 lbs. Very difficult to get much bear line height without climbing rope and a pulley system.

TRIP 107 084-L.jpg
    One time I met Sgt Rock and his son on the BMT near Slickrock Creek.

TRIP 107 083-L.jpg
    Rock just started going UL and here's his hung food bag for a 5 day trip. HA HA HA JUST KIDDING . . . it's his bear line throw weight.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Here's a typical long trip load---about 50,000 lbs. Very difficult to get much bear line height without climbing rope and a pulley system.

Tipi's bear bagging set up:

https://chainhoist.com/50-ton-elepha...rotection.html

I use a Ursack Major but I'm thinking about switching to a Zpacks bag. I can squeeze six days of food in it along with my Jetboil, toothbrush & other smellables ... but I can barely hoist the thing up a tree when it's that full. I don't like carrying that much food either. It's just too heavy. I don't notice many other Ursacks in bear boxes, so I don't think they're used a lot. I'm thinking about switching to a Zpacks bag because of the problem mentioned earlier about bear slobber & pulverized food. Like, I might be better off just hiking out & starting the food thing over if a bear gets my bag.

i've 13Lt dry bags and the zpacks food bag. i would prefer the zpacks bag was a bit taller. both work fine though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++