WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default There has to be a story here

Two friends and I did the Coosa Back Country Trail last week.Just before Calf Stomp Gap we found a campsite that had a FORTY FIVE pound barbell laying next to a tree.There has to be some sort of story associated with it,I mean,who would have done that?Did someone lose a bet?Anybody know?

oops,sorry I posted thread in wrong place;don't know how to move it or take it down.

I moved it for you.

I don't know, maybe they were training for their red card.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Did you leave it? I'm heading up there and can pick it up if still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    oops,sorry I posted thread in wrong place;don't know how to move it or take it down.
    Inadvertently post in the ultra-light forum??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I moved it for you.

I don't know, maybe they were training for their red card.
    Thanks,I must admit to being digitally challenged.
    One of the members of our party really did not like the barbell being left there,but I must admit that it made me laugh out loud when I saw it.

Finally a thread to share my hiking and finding a dumbell story...

Hiking in a coastal provincial park in Nova Scotia (Crystal Crescent)... It is a short hike (10-12km) so I've done it a bunch and know the majority of the promontories. In the distance I spied that one of them looked a bit odd like someone had built a wall on the top of the head about 4km from the start of the trail. Climbed up to take a look and found a "fort" with three walls each about 4' or 5' high made of stones each weighing 60-100lbs. Inside someone had carted in sand from the little beach about 60' below and made themselves a beach inside the fort. Along with the sand, also inside was a pair of 35lb iron dumbells. I was livid and proceeded to demolish the place in order to get rid of this blight on this landscape. As I was shoving, carrying, rolling and lifting these huge rocks I started envisioning the lunkhead(s) who must have built this place and realized I was exhausted just dismantling the place while they had carried these heavy rocks up 20 - 40' to get them to the top of the head. An incredible effort and likely representative of a herculean physique. I decided the best course was to hurry the demolition and hustle away just in case my righteous vandalism of their castle was soon noticed. I doubt I would have been able to hold my own against the cyclops who built that fort. I chucked the iron weights into the sea to rust away with the other metal debris off the coast and continued along the trail.

That was a few years ago and the fort never returned thankfully. It was a lot of work to take it down so I'm glad they never rebuilt it even though they, and I, might have some more muscles if they had.

Also... a thought. If they had carried up several tons of rock and hundred of pounds of sand what the heck was the point of curling 35lb dumbbells?

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Did you leave it? I'm heading up there and can pick it up if still there.
    You better hurry before someone beats you to it!

If they can carry it out, I'm not going to fight them over it.

Images

Came across a guy hiking with two large duffle bags, one with a lot of heavy gear, another one all full of books. HYOH.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hiked with a guy with the trailname of Deadweight. His brother/brother in law saw him off at Springer, and said "your pack straps are messed up, let me fix them for you" and proceeded to place a three pound rock in his pack, upon his back. Upon reaching his destination at the end of his first day, he found the rock, laughed, and told the hikers around him about the prank. The following day, he again stopped for the day, and found the same rock in his pack, placed there by his new trail friends.

Upon meeting him, and hearing the story of his trail name, I got in the habit of checking my pack before departing in the mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Hiked with a guy with the trailname of Deadweight. His brother/brother in law saw him off at Springer, and said "your pack straps are messed up, let me fix them for you" and proceeded to place a three pound rock in his pack, upon his back. Upon reaching his destination at the end of his first day, he found the rock, laughed, and told the hikers around him about the prank. The following day, he again stopped for the day, and found the same rock in his pack, placed there by his new trail friends.

Upon meeting him, and hearing the story of his trail name, I got in the habit of checking my pack before departing in the mornings.
    I don't normally LOL, but I sure did after reading this!!! if I had been drinking something, my computer would be soaked!!!

Well, the 45-pound weight has been removed. Thanks to my buddy "The Big B" for getting me close in his 4-wheel drive. A short downhill hike, followed by a much-longer (or so it seemed) uphill slog, and the trail is clean once again.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Well, the 45-pound weight has been removed. Thanks to my buddy "The Big B" for getting me close in his 4-wheel drive. A short downhill hike, followed by a much-longer (or so it seemed) uphill slog, and the trail is clean once again.
    Thanks,Skater.I will always wonder who put it there and WHY.

-

you could have "adjusted the straps" for Tipi and he would have carried this out for you, would not even notice the extra weight

Just a thought, maybe someone was setting up a blind for hunting season & the dumbbell was to keep him warm & busy while he waited.

An olympic barbell huh...only thing I can imagine is an ill-advised photo shoot and it was either forgotten or intentionally left behind.
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++