WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default F.U.D for little girl

For those curious- https://www.backpacker.com/gear/the-...nation-devices

My daughter is four and a half and wants to pee on a tree like daddy and her big brother.

Anyone buy a she-wee/P-style type device for a little girl who has any recommendations or tips to share? They seem to be 'one size fits all'

Might be too personal- but I recall others mentioning learning to pee without a device. Urban legend or anyone have any practical advice there?

My wife is pretty useless on this front unfortunately and tends to seek out a bathroom rather than put the time in to master her P-style.
    On the plus side, for whatever reason I ended up potty training my daughter so she's comfortable with that. I've been considering trying to get her something and letting her practice sooner than later so she's ready to go come springtime... though maybe a bit young yet.

The adult model pstyle is a bit large and pinches things up and then blocks her urethra so she sprays rather than pees.
    I suspect she'd 'miss' too often with a funnel style like the Pibella but it might allow her to open up with one hand and use the device with the other.

Journal Entries

I ain't a little girl no more, and don't really remember those years so good, but here's my two cents:
    1) Daddy and Big Brother pee on the ground instead of a tree, so they can be just like her instead of her trying to be just like them.
    2) Put a stick on the ground, and tell her to pee on that.
    3) The P-style is the only device I've used, but it's not error-free. Anatomy and clothing can complicate things. I don't know that I'd trust a little child to use a device consistently. If she's not reliably error-free, you'll probably have to carry a change of clothes, or two. On the other hand, if she has practiced sufficiently off-trail, maybe...
    4) For me the advantage of the P-style is that I don't have to take off my pack, don't have to drop my pants, don't have to squat, don't need tissue. For a 4-year-old, modesty isn't as much of an issue, and she's probably not carrying much. What does she gain?

By the way, how DARE YOU post this in the general forum!
    Just kidding, Just Bill.

Default F.U.D for little girl

I bought a device for my daughter, can't remember the name, but it has animal heads that fit on the lid. she's 5 this month. she just laughs when trying to use it and can't concentrate. we always wind up putting it away and she pees on the ground. I hold her hands so she can do a deep squat and not get her shorts wet.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I bought a device for my daughter, can't remember the name, but it has animal heads that fit on the lid. she's 5 this month. she just laughs when trying to use it and can't concentrate. we always wind up putting it away and she pees on the ground. I hold her hands so she can do a deep squat and not get her shorts wet.
    I do the hand hold thing with my son, but my daughter is super bendy. She can sit on her heels no problem... but then that leaves clothing in the way.
    She actually likes it fine when I pick her up with her legs up in the air and just let her rip. Quite fun, but not really discreet.

So actually peeing sans bathroom isn't really a problem... just figured might as well teach her to do it herself.

If you think of the device name let me know... but I too am leaning towards simply sorting out a way to do it without a device to deal with (or lose).

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I ain't a little girl no more, and don't really remember those years so good, but here's my two cents:
    1) Daddy and Big Brother pee on the ground instead of a tree, so they can be just like her instead of her trying to be just like them.
    2) Put a stick on the ground, and tell her to pee on that.
    3) The P-style is the only device I've used, but it's not error-free. Anatomy and clothing can complicate things. I don't know that I'd trust a little child to use a device consistently. If she's not reliably error-free, you'll probably have to carry a change of clothes, or two. On the other hand, if she has practiced sufficiently off-trail, maybe...
    4) For me the advantage of the P-style is that I don't have to take off my pack, don't have to drop my pants, don't have to squat, don't need tissue. For a 4-year-old, modesty isn't as much of an issue, and she's probably not carrying much. What does she gain?

By the way, how DARE YOU post this in the general forum!
    Just kidding, Just Bill.
    I believe my pink forum privileges are still mostly in effect... but why push it. Sides... gotta figure I'm not the first fella to have a daughter.
    And generally speaking I believe if you can't talk pooping and peeing you might as well take up a different hobby.

As you say... good general skill to have for many reasons and she does already carry a little daypack at times so getting about time. Ticks are prevalent enough around here that waggling one's ass in the grass isn't always ideal. Nor is my squirming, squirting, ladybug routine I mentioned above. (I never implied I was a good parent).

Perhaps getting her a hiking skirt like her dear old dad may be the better choice too. She's our younger and generally irresponsible wandering child... so she isn't trusted without pants... but not having them in the way would be more conducive to learning. She has a bomber bladder so accidents are not an issue unless I ask her to piss all over her clothes... but a few spare undies and a quick dry skirt might be good enough.

When we hang out; she just wants to "go in the corner" like her dad and brother( or stand around the toilet in a public restroom and have ghostbuster crossing the stream fights). It's the little things, and joys of childhood you know

Most importantly....

How can she grow up to kick Anish, Jen, and all the boys asses if she doesn't learn how to pee standing up? Not sure I can teach her to walk and pee... but if I can even Skurka is screwed.

Somewhere on this site, in the Women’s Forum no doubt, are directions for taking a Wishbone salad dressing bottle, and cutting it to the appropriate shape, so you don’t have to purchase any of the commercially made ones. So, you have obviously seen different versions, look around for an appropriately sized plastic salad dressing bottle or maybe a Heat bottle, and see if you can make one to size. It sounds like a good “Dad” project.

Reading this makes me think I waited too long to introduce this topic to my fledgling hiker daughter. She is just getting to the point where she would be shy about such things.

Images

Might be too personal- but I recall others mentioning learning to pee without a device. Urban legend or anyone have any practical advice there?

i am a guy.........and without a daughter (or any kid for that matter)...

but some of my female friends---i have seen them peeing while standing up...........they just sort arch their back a little and point their crotch out and let it fly....

but, they are also older than 4 years old so guessing it took some practice....

seen it done plenty of times at festivals and/or other outdoor type gatherings...

and yeah, a skirt would make it much easier.......

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Somewhere on this site, in the Women’s Forum no doubt, are directions for taking a Wishbone salad dressing bottle, and cutting it to the appropriate shape, so you don’t have to purchase any of the commercially made ones. So, you have obviously seen different versions, look around for an appropriately sized plastic salad dressing bottle or maybe a Heat bottle, and see if you can make one to size. It sounds like a good “Dad” project.
    No heat gun here... though I recall the idea/concept. A heet bottle sounds like a better plan. Though it's not exactly expensive enough that I need to call macguyver.

As Ms. Lurkerville 2002 (not many know she is a former beauty queen BTW) mentioned though... one of the main advantages to these devices is discreet use. The 'she-wee' knickname comes from the unzip the fly and whip it out (or whip it in in this case) concept. I'd think working the butt end of a salad dressing bottle into my pants is hard enough, can't imagine getting that thing into an adult women's fly let alone a four year old's
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Reading this makes me think I waited too long to introduce this topic to my fledgling hiker daughter. She is just getting to the point where she would be shy about such things.
    A bit of my thoughts...being the one who potty trained her figured I'd knock this out before it got weird. Or me being me... weirder. I'm wondering if I can start one of those tax free things they have for college tuition but for therapy. My son is a great kid, my daughter less so.

But as my dear mom says, 'Payback is a bitch named Alana'.

I probably shouldn't have named my daughter Alana since my mom has been saying that for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i am a guy.........and without a daughter (or any kid for that matter)...

but some of my female friends---i have seen them peeing while standing up...........they just sort arch their back a little and point their crotch out and let it fly....

but, they are also older than 4 years old so guessing it took some practice....

seen it done plenty of times at festivals and/or other outdoor type gatherings...

and yeah, a skirt would make it much easier.......
    Yar... I agree. Not much of a myth as I've seen it too, but I've found women tend to consider it offensive when I tell them how to pee. Seemed to be mainly a matter of bladder control and flexibility... least that's how the yogi explained it to me who could do it.

Everyone is built a hair different though, and some (like my wife) have a bit of upbringing and some sort of strange sense of propriety that discourages them from making the attempt. To be fair; I suppose birthing two of my spawn has altered things for her as well and the toilet is a good place to softly weep while she reviews all the poor choices she's made in life. Hard to do that while arching your back, pushing your bladder, and standing against a tree. She's a good mom and tries not to cry in front of the children... so I think this one's on me.

Thankfully I can get to this young lady early before she's taught too many good manners.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 10-04-2018 at 22:24.

No heat gun, I meant the heat stuff you burn in an alcohol stove. If you cut off the bottle part, and carefully trimmed the neck of it, it would be small, as you said. The thing about the Wishbone bottle is that you had excess material to trim. Again, for a little one, only the neck would probably work. It sounds like you aren’t interested, which I can understand, but I wanted to clarify that you don’t need to use the whole bottle, and the plastic trims pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    No heat gun, I meant the heat stuff you burn in an alcohol stove. If you cut off the bottle part, and carefully trimmed the neck of it, it would be small, as you said. The thing about the Wishbone bottle is that you had excess material to trim. Again, for a little one, only the neck would probably work. It sounds like you aren’t interested, which I can understand, but I wanted to clarify that you don’t need to use the whole bottle, and the plastic trims pretty easily.
    Yar, I follow you. The technique I saw involved using a heat gun (after trimming) to help you roll the edge over.
    That was a generally tongue in cheek reply... it's a silly topic really. How the hell did women pee for millennia before the flush toilet was invented? It's inconceivable!

Though... you make a better point this go-round regarding the heat bottle. The wishbone bottle was cut into a scoop shape and still pretty decently sized, but it was more of a hospital style than hiker style idea. I've also heard of girls using coleman fuel funnels and the wishbone bottle was pitched as something comparable.

Loping the neck and a bit of the bottle off the heet bottle would basically give you a pibella style shape and would potentially work fairly well. It could be cut a bit large and worked down.
    Really the goal is to teach her to stand rather than squat.

I still like the idea of heating and rolling over the edge... might even be able to do a heet bottle with a spoon and a torch.

I wonder if she'd prefer a yellow or red shenis.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I do the hand hold thing with my son, but my daughter is super bendy. She can sit on her heels no problem... but then that leaves clothing in the way. . .
    ?? Only drop the pants to the knees, then a deep squat places all the plumbing well below the clothing. Works for guys going #2 also.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    ....As Ms. Lurkerville 2002 (not many know she is a former beauty queen BTW) mentioned though... one of the main advantages to these devices is discreet use. The 'she-wee' knickname comes from the unzip the fly and whip it out (or whip it in in this case) concept. I'd think working the butt end of a salad dressing bottle into my pants is hard enough, can't imagine getting that thing into an adult women's fly let alone a four year old's

A bit of my thoughts...being the one who potty trained her figured I'd knock this out before it got weird. Or me being me... weirder. I'm wondering if I can start one of those tax free things they have for college tuition but for therapy. My son is a great kid, my daughter less so.

....Thankfully I can get to this young lady early before she's taught too many good manners.
    Beauty queen, ha! You make me laff!

About clothes:
    Close-fitting pants/shorts don't work well.
    Either an unzipped fly or a pulled down waist can result in fabric/zipper preventing the device from discharging fully - so urine pools and can spill when trying to remove the device. That can be hard for a 4 year old to manage.
    One solution is to drop the pants enough so that the zipper or waist doesn't interfere. But dropping the pants an inch or two interferes with free leg movement, making it harder to stand with legs apart, which in turn makes the spray vs pee issue more of a problem. It does take practice.

You're right to address this with her now before things get weird-er.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    ?? Only drop the pants to the knees, then a deep squat places all the plumbing well below the clothing. Works for guys going #2 also.
    Except that it's not so easy for a female to control whether the stream goes straight or off to the side. Long pants and socks are potentially within range, especially for a little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Except that it's not so easy for a female to control whether the stream goes straight or off to the side. Long pants and socks are potentially within range, especially for a little girl.
    There are always caveats. That being said, I was taught to squat by an experience female outdoor guide that would consistently stop to go pee at the same time I did and she was always done first. So I asked her the secret and she shared with me how experienced outdoor women squat with their pants only to their knees. AMAZING how well it worked. But alas, I am not a woman and have never been a little girl, so all I can do is pass on wisdom I have heard from others and experienced only to the limited extent my male anatomy provides.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Boys and girls should be taught to pee and poop in the woods without any devise or hand holding. Just teach them to burry it. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Roller View Post
    Boys and girls should be taught to pee and poop in the woods without any devise or hand holding. Just teach them to burry it. Unbelievable.
    It's unbelievable that parents would hold a young child's hand to help them?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I can not believe I am adding to this discussion but here goes.
    I have heard the trick to chicks peeing standing up is somehow using a finger to press or push or whatever right above the, well, whatever the pee hole is called. Something like directing a nozzle. Then again I am a guy so what the hell do I know.

Only on Whiteblaze!

Bill...you are a great dad.

A shory skirt over tights, or short length tights, is pretty and practical. Slip the tights off when peeing, this way area is covered and pants/ tights don’t get wet. Use wet wipes (I like the Huggy’s brand baby wipes) to clean area and any misses. Pack out wipes of course in a separate small ziplock bag. Never get alcohol gel on the private parts - hands only. This is my current best go to. Some ladies like to hike without underthings for ease of toileting, I’m not comfortable with this personally, but the little miss may like going lady commando, kinda like guys who rock the kilts. HYOH never rang truer

It's okay to use big kid words we all learned in anatomy or health class Gary.

Yar- one of the reasons I got potty training duty (besides being the oldest of 18 cousins and babysitting rather than mowing lawns as a kid) is that my daughter is a straight shooter and my wife got sick of her pissing on her, the wall or the floor.

Don't feel too bad though as the simple trick of using two fingers to manipulate the skin around the labia didn't occur to my wife either.
    That's the basics though of 'aiming'... move the labia out of the way to expose the urethra (pee hole).
    So in many ways, I already trained her to pee standing up and we just have to start working on it. The same trick she uses to ensure her pee gets in the potty rather than sailing over the seat should come in handy... providing I'm patient enough to remember she's only 4.5 not 45.

Fer Mr. Sherry... generally yer a shooter or a dribbler and it isn't always clear which it's gunna be on any given attempt. My daughters legs aren't quite long enough to pull her pants to her knees AND keep her feet wide enough to shoot the gap. Works fine if you're more of a dribbler... though if you're a shooter you need to find a way to pee down rather than out. So full squat and she's most likely to pee on her self as that's basically what her issue was during potty training. If you want a simple mansplination; if you've ever had a pleasant sexual dream and woken with some seminal fluid gumming up the works... you got a pretty decent idea of what going pee is like fer a lady.

We tried a few times this weekend but she kept getting stage fright. Even with me and her brother joining in. Gave it a shot at the park, on a hike, and at the gym in the family shower. Just need to convince my wife to join in until she gets comfy with it.

Having had this discussion and a few experiments I think we are better off just going for it rather than trying to find a FUD.
    Though still curious if there is a kid sized version just in case. Sometimes having a toy to practice with sparks interest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++