WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Winter boots

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    My Zamberlan Vioz (GRX Plus RR) size 10 come in at 3 lbs 8 oz. The EVA boots shown say 4.5 lbs. I spent two winters backpacking in Sorel packboots and found them to be clunky compared to regular leather boots---although I never tried a pair of EVA boots. Who knows, maybe they fit like moccasins and move thru the woods like running shoes---and don't weigh 4.5 lbs.
    4.5 lbs is the shipping weight including the box. I'll throw them on the scale tonight and show you.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    4.5 lbs is the shipping weight including the box. I'll throw them on the scale tonight and show you.
    Like I said, I'll weigh them tonight, but here's some comparable boots from Rapala... 1.75 lbs / pair. I think mine weigh just over 2 lbs per pair.

https://rapala.ca/products/insulated-eva-boots

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    As I mentioned in my post, 520 quality has gone down significantly in the last several years. I would NOT recommend this full leather boot.

I had a pair two years old and pulled a long trip in the Mt Rogers area when this happened---

And then a year later on a long trip in the Cohuttas this happened---Hence my Zamberlan recommendation.
    I used the 520s as a "class" of boot, not necessarily as a plug for them. I understand the 520s had some glue failure issues in 2012-2014 and the more recent problems in 2016 with the Asolo Fugitive, however its been a long time since the 520s had problems and my experience with them I get between 1,200 - 1,400 miles on the several pairs I have had over the years, a lot of that mileage in winter conditions. I am comfortable referring anyone to that class of boot using the 520 as a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Traveler, you nailed one of my pet peaves on the head. I really don't like and rarely ever use knee-high gators and strongly discourage the use of waterproof gaiters, although waterproof and breathable isn't horrible.

Knee high gaiters significantly increase foot warmth, which is a good thing if you get cold feet while hiking and a bad thing if you are fighting sweaty feet. When actively hiking, snowshoeing or skiing, many of us fight sweaty feet more than cold feet, even in weather well below freezing. On many winter hikes, I have climbed/hiked with people that were afraid of cold feet or lack of tractions and thus wore heavier boots with crampons and/or knee high gaiters only to fight sweaty feet and blisters while I was dancing along in running shoes, microspikes, and my favorite winter gaiters which are only ankle high and NOT waterproof.

As for waterproof. Yuck! If I am wearing gaiters so wet snow is not getting down inside by footwear but just brushing across a fabric shell, waterproof gaiters do not reduce the wetness of my feet or legs as there is very little water soaking through them - the snow mostly brushes off. If it's raining, gaiters wont keep my lower legs and feet dry because water will be running down my legs - I then need rain pants, not waterproof gaiters. In fact, the only thing I can think of that is a useful use for waterproof gaiters is walking through wet grass where my lower legs and feet will get soaked and I don't need rain pants to keep my upper legs dry. Finally, the problem with waterproof gaiters, other than being completely unnecessary, is that you end up getting wet from the inside from condensation (less so with waterproof breathable, but you can still get pretty wet). And, if you are in deep snow, it's nice to keep the top of your knee-high gaiters closed, but if they're waterproof you get all that much more wet from condensation without them being able to vent out the top.

So in the end, I would suggest NOT considering knee high gaiters as necessary, but consider them helpful if you want more foot warmth or are doing a lot of deep (especially wet) snow travel. However, for many of us, lighter footwear and lower gaiters are a significant advantage over the taller gaiters, and waterproof gaiters contribute to much wetter lower legs than highly breathable (non-waterproof) ones do.

One other reason to avoid knee-high gaiters is that finding quality ones that are not waterproof is almost impossible because for some crazy reason, people buying gaiters seem to think waterproof is an important feature instead of a significant detriment.
    I understand your point and agree I should have cited GoreTex/breathable gaiters,which is what I use. Outside of that, I have not had the same experience with gaiters you have with overheating or the yuck factor with waterproof gaiters, though I do get that with plastic bags on my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I used the 520s as a "class" of boot, not necessarily as a plug for them. I understand the 520s had some glue failure issues in 2012-2014 and the more recent problems in 2016 with the Asolo Fugitive, however its been a long time since the 520s had problems and my experience with them I get between 1,200 - 1,400 miles on the several pairs I have had over the years, a lot of that mileage in winter conditions. I am comfortable referring anyone to that class of boot using the 520 as a starting point.
    All I use for most of my backpacking are Asolo Fugitives because I can get them in Wide sizes. They are fairly light and fairly stout for my heavy loads---and very comfy right out of the box. I think I'm on my 12th or 14th pair. All the old ones are out in the garage. For deep winter it's the Zamberlans of course.

But Asolo's quality control might need some tinkering as here's a recent pair of my Fugitives after 3 months of use---pic taken during the trip---

TRIP 168 186-XL.jpg
    I repaired with thread and an awl but now the awl holes let in water thru the GTX liner.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I was thinking of getting the lone peak RMS for Winter hiking.
    I have a pair of those. Waterproof is not how I would describe them. I walked through a two inch deep stream the first time I wore them and had wet feet immediately. They are super comfortable, but in no way waterproof. Maybe I got a bad pair, or they have improved them over the last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmelee View Post
    I have a pair of those. Waterproof is not how I would describe them. I walked through a two inch deep stream the first time I wore them and had wet feet immediately. They are super comfortable, but in no way waterproof. Maybe I got a bad pair, or they have improved them over the last year...
    I always thought eVent to be better than goretex but I guess with the Altra Lone Peak mesh shoes it's not. One advantage to a good goretex boot is being able to do what you describe---wading thru a two inch stream---or a 5 inch stream--and keeping the all important socks dry.

P1000250-XL.jpg
    Don't try this in trail runners.

The reason this is important for backpackers in the Southeast is because many little creek crossings are 2 or 4 or 5 inches deep---and a good boot can keep the water out---especially on dry winter days when it's butt cold but there's no deep wet snow or rain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++