WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defense?

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I keep a cup of gasoline and a lit candle in my tent at night. You never know.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Alot of people are spending alot of time explaining how rare and unlikely it is to be attacked by a bear. This is all true. However, in some rare instances, bears DO attack people. It probably won't happen, but if it does you'd beg for a can of bear spray. And before you all write back saying that spray won't work, do some research.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Images

Default self defense

calm down Man!your right kirk it has happened and will again,but far more people fall off cliffs than are mauled,If your worried bring a can for yourself!its not a major problem along any major hiking trail.

I can hardly imagine a worse way to go, than being killed by a bear.

Lots of people get killed by falling trees every year, too, Kirk.

Til you get past your fears, you might want to avoid certain wooded sections of the Trail, where the threat from potential killer trees exists.

However, on the roughly one and a half percent of the Trail that is free of trees, I suspect you'll do fine.

Images

Default self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin

Til you get past your fears, you might want to avoid certain wooded sections of the Trail, where the threat from potential killer trees exists.

However, on the roughly one and a half percent of the Trail that is free of trees, I suspect you'll do fine.
    your right B,Jack and their are so many other forms of fears one could have!but thats what being in the woods is all about to me,I enjoy a little adrenaline rush from nature time to time. ky

Recognizing a potential danger and trying to be prepared for it has nothing to do with fear. Pretending that no danger exists, is simply not a logical option for me. FEAR is what you'll feel if your attacked because you'll realize that your totally unprepared, perhaps your last thoughts will be of Mcquest's vain attempts to appeal to you.

P.S= If by carrying a small spray bottle, I could eliminate some of the chances for a tree to fall on me, I would

Yell loud and carry a little stick

Hey, Kirk, try and carry a sense of humor, too.

A little bit goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest
    Recognizing a potential danger and trying to be prepared for it has nothing to do with fear. Pretending that no danger exists, is simply not a logical option for me. FEAR is what you'll feel if your attacked because you'll realize that your totally unprepared, perhaps your last thoughts will be of Mcquest's vain attempts to appeal to you.

P.S= If by carrying a small spray bottle, I could eliminate some of the chances for a tree to fall on me, I would

I suggest the kevlar body sock. It'll protect you from bears, dogs, and falling trees less than 6" in diameter. I designed it and will sell you the prototype for only $19,999.99. In addition to protecting you, it'll provide amusement to the other hikers, thus adhering to the thru-hiking gear rule. Everything you carry should serve more than one purpose.

As soon as I get your measurements and a 10% ddeposit, I'll start work on it.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm considering a suite of armor, less costly. I'm also proposing a plan to have the trees removed for safety purposes.

Images

I have been sprayed w/ full strength police issue pepper spray(10% capsaicin)... (no, not for that reason! Had to be sprayed in order to carry it). While it does feel like your skin is on fire, it is in no way incapacitating. I could still function (defend myself and fire my weapon).

Most spray defenses that the public can buy are not near the strength of police or military issue. Most bear sprays used the same ingredient (2% capsaicin oil) as the public issue spray. I think that if I can stand up to the heavy-duty stuff, its not going to do much to the bear. Hopefully it would be enough deterrant to make them leave you alone.

The other problem is getting it out of wherever you have it stored, aimed in the right direction and "firing" it all before the attack happens. Unless you practice your quick-draw, I dont see that happening.

Oh, and when you hear "TIMBER" run like hell, cuz a tree is comin at ya!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Hey, Kirk, try and carry a sense of humor, too.

A little bit goes a long way.
    I didn't realize that the prospect of being mauled by a bear was the occasion for humor. I thought we were having a serious discussion about the probabilities and solutions to bear attacks.

If you've followed any of my antics on this web site, I think you'll find my sense of humor to be extremely well developed. Here's a dancing banana to prove it!

Images

bear spray is just gonna piss em' off. go for it McRev.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Quote Originally Posted by Geohabit
    I have been sprayed w/ full strength police issue pepper spray(10% capsaicin)... (no, not for that reason! Had to be sprayed in order to carry it). While it does feel like your skin is on fire, it is in no way incapacitating. I could still function (defend myself and fire my weapon).

Most spray defenses that the public can buy are not near the strength of police or military issue. Most bear sprays used the same ingredient (2% capsaicin oil) as the public issue spray. I think that if I can stand up to the heavy-duty stuff, its not going to do much to the bear. Hopefully it would be enough deterrant to make them leave you alone.

The other problem is getting it out of wherever you have it stored, aimed in the right direction and "firing" it all before the attack happens. Unless you practice your quick-draw, I dont see that happening.

Oh, and when you hear "TIMBER" run like hell, cuz a tree is comin at ya!
    I've also been sprayed and found myself in EXTREME pain. Bear spray is not guaranteed, but its proven to be reasonably effective

Quote Originally Posted by general
    bear spray is just gonna piss em' off. go for it McRev.
    I can see how you've confused the Rev. with myself, since we both made a monkey out of you in previous threads. I guess it follows that your mind would combine us into one frightening entity.

Here's something even more scary, there's two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by general
    go for it McRev.
    The McRev. That's a new sandwich they sell down here at McDonalds. It's two slices of fried baloney served on New York wry, er, I mean rye, with a touch of bear spray for spiciness. It sounds good, but it's not very substantial .

Images

I havent looked up the info, but I am sure someone here can find it... I do believe there are bears in every state along the trail... If its the bears you fear, DONT GO!!!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I don't know if I ever told you guys this, but I crack myself up. My wife says I'm the funniest guy I know.

Pepper spray can be made to extreme concentration by anyone with a basic knowledge of chemistry, or by doing some research on the net. Better than pepper spray...there are a variety of household chemicals available at any supermarket or hardware store that can be even more effective in making the bear go away.

HOWEVER, as has been said, you gotta have good timing and good aim. I read somewhere about a person defending themself against an attacker sprayed themself in the face. The attacker was freaked out and took off.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++