WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense?

This deters humans from ever causing a problem, and if per chance in the slightest chance in the darkest depths of hell that i do get attacked by an animal, and providing I have time to get it out of the sheath on my sternum strap, I might have a tiny bit of a fighting chance. Never understood why people carry bear spray and strap it to the back of their pack, personally I can't even reach my camelback hose when it's back there When they find the body and roll it over they'll say "And the victim did have bear spray but unfortunately was unable to reach it in time"

If your gonna carry protection make sure it's available to you at all times, otherwise it's useless packweight
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...&cutoffdate=-1

I've seen a couple people mention firearms for self defense while hiking the AT. Regardless of what anyone tells you, keep in mind, you are ultimately responsible. Whether you're defending yourself or others from another person(s) or an animal(s), or you screw up somehow by, I guess, by dropping it or something and it goes off, you are the only one responsible for the firearm, and your actions. Best advice for anyone carrying on the AT is carry it concealed IF you are licensed, research and know the reciprocity states and laws in the States you're traveling through, and keep it concealed. Don't broadcast that you have it by showing everyone or telling everyone like a two year old and if you are uncomfortable carrying, please do not carry because you'll only endanger yourself and those around you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    I've seen a couple people mention firearms for self defense while hiking the AT. Regardless of what anyone tells you, keep in mind, you are ultimately responsible. Whether you're defending yourself or others from another person(s) or an animal(s), or you screw up somehow by, I guess, by dropping it or something and it goes off, you are the only one responsible for the firearm, and your actions. Best advice for anyone carrying on the AT is carry it concealed IF you are licensed, research and know the reciprocity states and laws in the States you're traveling through, and keep it concealed. Don't broadcast that you have it by showing everyone or telling everyone like a two year old and if you are uncomfortable carrying, please do not carry because you'll only endanger yourself and those around you.
    You cross posted the same post in more than one thread, that is frowned upon around here. No need to say the same thing in more than one post, especially if you are the one that resurrected the dead post.

Virtually everyone that does carry a weapon legally on the tail already knows they are responsible and they don't brag about it or tell anybody they are carrying a concealed weapon. Also, It is virtually impossible for a modern handgun to "go off" by dropping it. Almost all modern handguns have an inertial firing pin block. The only way to get them to go bang is to pull the trigger.

I did not post the above comments for you. I posted it for other new members that have not been down this road on here yet. Posting like this is called being a troll, Only a troll joins a forum and digs up ancient controversial posts with no particular reason to do so, and then cross posts to get a bigger bang for their buck.

You started your post by creating a straw man with "Regardless of what anyone tells you, keep in mind, you are ultimately responsible", since no one on here has ever told anyone that they are not "ultimately responsible" that statement was needed by you as stepping off point to build your argument. It is a classic troll way to start a fight on the internet.

What I am trying to say is, don't be a troll.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

I don't post much on this forum, but...........+1 on bfayer's response!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Posting like this is called being a troll, Only a troll joins a forum and digs up ancient controversial posts with no particular reason to do so, and then cross posts to get a bigger bang for their buck.

What I am trying to say is, don't be a troll.
    SO PLEASE someone close this thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    SO PLEASE someone close this thread.
    I don't always agree with Tipi Walter, but when I do....

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Close every thread that contains a difference of opinion.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Now how he heck does he expect me to carry my Hawken's concealed?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Close every thread that contains a difference of opinion.
    Not at all, just the ones that have no purpose but to cause hate and discontent. This forum is not a freedom of speech free fire zone, there are plenty of other forums that specialize in such stuff. WB is about hiking not pointless arguing.

I understand this, like many other sites have their "troll" issues. No need for the rudeness, I was trying to be helpful without being pro or anti gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    I understand this, like many other sites have their "troll" issues. No need for the rudeness, I was trying to be helpful without being pro or anti gun.
    You did good.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Not at all, just the ones that have no purpose but to cause hate and discontent. This forum is not a freedom of speech free fire zone, there are plenty of other forums that specialize in such stuff. WB is about hiking not pointless arguing.
    Yes, why are some so intolerant of the items people carry on the trail? I don't understand the "freedom of speech" line. Again, are we not calmly discussing items some people prefer to carry on the trail?

I just found this. It takes skilzz that, after reading through the link, I don't have. I want to have them though. I couldn't listen to the entire monotone style video at the end...

http://www.wikihow.com/Argue

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Yes, why are some so intolerant of the items people carry on the trail? I don't understand the "freedom of speech" line. Again, are we not calmly discussing items some people prefer to carry on the trail?
    I think the problem with this and other topics like this is people feel passionate about the subject. So now you've got emotions involved. When emotions are involved, things get "heated". Also, if you already have certain feeling or emotions towards the person you are "talking" with, that adds another level of tension sometimes.

Images

Bayer said all that was needed. If there ever was an example of deliberate trolling, this is it. When you consider the guy has made only 11 other posts and 2 of them are identical and pertain to a very heated topic, I think the intent is pretty clear. My apologies if I'm wrong

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I think the problem with this and other topics like this is people feel passionate about the subject. So now you've got emotions involved. When emotions are involved, things get "heated". Also, if you already have certain feeling or emotions towards the person you are "talking" with, that adds another level of tension sometimes.
    Very much so HikerMom. That said, there are very few people who could legally carry a firearm for the entire length of the AT given all the different federal, state, and local authorities that govern the lands it passes through, and especially given that the trail passes through several jurisdictions and states with very restrictive gun laws (especially New Jersey and New York). For the most part, only active and retired law enforcement officers (LEOSA) could, again legally, do so. Whether or not people need to, or should be able to, is pretty much an unresolvable and very passionate debate.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I just want to point out that the person you are accusing of being a troll has only been a member here for two days. There is a very good chance that they are simply unaware of the fact that we have beaten the subject of guns on the trail into the ground on this site.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Coming to terms with my own mortality, has provided me with a sense of serenity. Any foe human or animal, all as I ask is that they take it all the way to the end with me, so I can awaken in my reward.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    Any foe human or animal, all as I ask is that they take it all the way to the end with me, so I can awaken in my reward.
    Quite.

"We'll not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Here we are trying to learn a few opinions and confirming them with facts from other sources to form logical choices. Yet there are these passionate/emotional types that have an issue with choices that differ from their own - not exactly HYOH tolerant - are they a concern on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Bayer said all that was needed. If there ever was an example of deliberate trolling, this is it. When you consider the guy has made only 11 other posts and 2 of them are identical and pertain to a very heated topic, I think the intent is pretty clear. My apologies if I'm wrong
    The guy that joined 2 days ago? And what makes a thread "a very heated topic" - certainly not a difference of opinion.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
++ New Posts ++