WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Self Defense?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I just want to point out that the person you are accusing of being a troll has only been a member here for two days. There is a very good chance that they are simply unaware of the fact that we have beaten the subject of guns on the trail into the ground on this site.
    Really? the fact that we are on page 17 of a zombi thread didn't give it away? Or the other thread that had 11 pages? That sounds like beaten to death to me.

You don't run into 5 year old threads by accident. You have to go back something like 10 pages in this forum just to find 2008, and then with all the other topics that someone could bring back to life it was two topics about guns?

Having said all that, you are right. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-06-2014 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave568 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone here carries any form of self defense from wildlife while on the AT? I completely understand that the chances of ever being attacked by anything are very low, but I am sure there are some who just feel more comfortable with some form of protection. From reading some of the posts on these forums, I have seen some mentions of bear deterrent spray. I personally carry a can of Guard Alaska, and I will admit that I just have it to make myself feel more comfortable - I know the chances of ever having to use it are almost non-existent. So, who else here carries some form of protection, and what do you carry? Also, has anyone ever encountered a situation where you actually had to use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Dave568 asked for advice about self-defense against wildlife, not people.

This thread is eight years old.

Images

I have encountered 47 bears on the AT and other trails. (yes I keep count) and every one ran away as soon as I made myself known. In fact I have never even had time to get my camera out.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    ...You don't run into 5 year old threads by accident. You have to go back something like 10 pages in this forum just to find 2008, and then with all the other topics that someone could bring back to life it was two topics about guns?
    This would be really easy to do if he was searching the forum about guns and simply didn't notice the date.

I'm new and I did not pay attention to the date, I posted after the first one once I saw that I had posted on an old page. I joined this site because I've always wanted to hike the AT and this year I finally have the chance to do it. I was expecting to get a lot of good information, tips, advice, etc. not the replies I have gotten. It was an honest mistake, for that I apologize. As for repeatedly being called a troll...I'm a combat veteran, I'm not politically correct and I won't put up with being talked down to. Either be helpful or keep your trap shut. I will no longer post on this page and I'll move on to more helpful people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    This would be really easy to do if he was searching the forum about guns and simply didn't notice the date.
    Why would someone search for guns on a hiking forum and then post telling people to they need to be responsible? Of all the things a new member could post about?

Like I said I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    I'm not politically correct and I won't put up with being talked down to. Either be helpful or keep your trap shut. I will no longer post on this page and I'll move on to more helpful people.
    Then why do you expect anyone else to be politically correct. As for being helpful, your post did not ask a question or require anything to be helpful with. Ask question, people including myself will be helpful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    I'm new and I did not pay attention to the date, I posted after the first one once I saw that I had posted on an old page. I joined this site because I've always wanted to hike the AT and this year I finally have the chance to do it. I was expecting to get a lot of good information, tips, advice, etc. not the replies I have gotten. It was an honest mistake, for that I apologize. As for repeatedly being called a troll...I'm a combat veteran, I'm not politically correct and I won't put up with being talked down to. Either be helpful or keep your trap shut. I will no longer post on this page and I'll move on to more helpful people.
    I just take everyone at face value and not assume nefarious motives. So Gus, welcome to Whiteblaze. You'll find lot's of useful information here.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Then why do you expect anyone else to be politically correct. As for being helpful, your post did not ask a question or require anything to be helpful with. Ask question, people including myself will be helpful.
    Odd, when I read his post it provided information that some will find useful and wise. Isn't it a shame that even today people make assumptions and are not tolerant of different opinions. So much for hope and change.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Odd, when I read his post it provided information that some will find useful and wise. Isn't it a shame that even today people make assumptions and are not tolerant of different opinions. So much for hope and change.
    Who had a problem with his opinion, I had a problem with his actions, I agree with his opinion.

I'm tolerant of any opinion I agree with. My wife told me if she wanted my opinion she'd give it to me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm tolerant of any opinion I agree with. My wife told me if she wanted my opinion she'd give it to me.
    Does your wife know my wife?

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Who had a problem with his opinion, I had a problem with his actions...
    OK, if there is no problem with opinion, what is the problem with "actions" ?

Does your wife know my wife?
    We are all married to the same women, they may look different, but it's a food chain thing.

Images

OK, if there is no problem with opinion, what is the problem with "actions" ?
    If you go back and read my post #323, I thought I explained it. Digging up controversial necro-posts, double posting about them, starting the posts with a straw man argument, and never asking a question. That all adds up to troll like behavior. He may not have intended it, but that is what he did. Most folks that are new to forums want to know when they are stirring the pot and don't get defensive about it when it's pointed out.

You have been around this place long enough to know that WB has a very diverse membership and the one thing that binds us together is our love for the outdoors and hiking. There are folks out there however, that love to see us go at each other over issues we don't see eye to eye on. Anyone that does a quick search for guns on here, and reads for a few minutes, should know that guns is one of those issues. That doesn't mean gun topics are off limits, but just bringing up guns to lecture folks on their responsibilities is not the best way to win hearts and minds around here.

I don't have a problem with anyone's opinions. In fact I greatly respect the diversity of opinions on here. But lets keep this in perspective, it was my opinion that the OP was acting like a troll, and you and the OP had a problem with that, but it was just my opinion. Like I said, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in his future posts.

If you go back and read my post #323, I thought I explained it. Digging up controversial necro-posts, double posting about them, starting the posts with a straw man argument, and never asking a question. That all adds up to troll like behavior. He may not have intended it, but that is what he did. Most folks that are new to forums want to know when they are stirring the pot and don't get defensive about it when it's pointed out.

You have been around this place long enough to know that WB has a very diverse membership and the one thing that binds us together is our love for the outdoors and hiking. There are folks out there however, that love to see us go at each other over issues we don't see eye to eye on. Anyone that does a quick search for guns on here, and reads for a few minutes, should know that guns is one of those issues. That doesn't mean gun topics are off limits, but just bringing up guns to lecture folks on their responsibilities is not the best way to win hearts and minds around here.

I don't have a problem with anyone's opinions. In fact I greatly respect the diversity of opinions on here. But lets keep this in perspective, it was my opinion that the OP was acting like a troll, and you and the OP had a problem with that, but it was just my opinion. Like I said, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in his future posts.
    You're doing a good job of making this point...cut the guy some slack.

Images

You're doing a good job of making this point...cut the guy some slack.
    I was just answering Roche's question, but your point is taken.

The only critter you need to fear along the AT is humans, Nothing in the woods will hurt you if you use common sense. I carry a Glock pistol , pepper spray, Taser, 2 pairs of handcuffs, and it's not for the wildlife.

Journal Entries
    Images

My experience is clear excess weight. If you wanna carry make it a wheelgun. The otherstuff just clogges up without other excess weight.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest View Post
    It is important to note that statistics reflect what HAS happened, not what WILL happen. It was statistically improbable that two girls would be killed on the A.T, in 1993, but they did, now the 'statistics' reflect slightly better odds of that happening. When your talking about huge feral predators, anyone with basic brain function will recognize the danger element.
    Hmm. Can you show your work on that? It never was statistically improbable, in that there is a definite probability that can be assigned to the occurrence of two independent events of known probability within a given interval. And, assuming that the events are indeed independent, one such occurrence has no effect on the likelihood of others. Everyone knows that Walt is the danger.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobp View Post
    Hmm. Can you show your work on that? It never was statistically improbable, in that there is a definite probability that can be assigned to the occurrence of two independent events of known probability within a given interval. And, assuming that the events are indeed independent, one such occurrence has no effect on the likelihood of others. Everyone knows that Walt is the danger.
    post was over 8 years ago. i think they even forgot they posted it
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
++ New Posts ++