WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Deer Crashes?

Question Deer Crashes?

Deer crashes in North Carolina are increasing according to a UNC study.

http://www.physorg.com/news173631249.html

Any hikers out there ever been hit by a deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Deer crashes in North Carolina are increasing according to a UNC study.

http://www.physorg.com/news173631249.html

An 8 pointer almost got me last year while driving a nice older Nova on the Blueridge Parkway. His little doe buddy beside of him was just laughing away.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Deer crashes in North Carolina

A business group I once belonged to called me The Deerhunter. My cumulative lifetime car damage from deer is still in the not-so-low five figures after many deer collisions and near misses that had sent me into the ditch. One buck charged my car three times in the middle of the night -- frontal into the windshield, then driver's side door and then the back bumper -- on a drive back from Atlanta to Indiana. Went back with the Sheriff at 3:30am to find the deer but it had run off into the woods. I guess it had gotten it's fill of Ford products for the night.

Somewhere out there is a story about my experience after hitting a herd of deer while driving past the front of the Honda Plant in Marysville, Ohio -- that was one of my near-death experiences involving deer. Woo boy, it's dark, there's a small light shining way down there, then you see the deer and in a panic swing the wheel to the right. Next thing you know centrifugal force has your face pinned to the side window while barreling down a tree filled ditch. The really fun part was becoming airborne in a 4200 pound automobile. The people just behind me with the coon dog in the back of their El Camino ran up to my car window a few minutes later saying, "Weez didn't think you was every gonna stop!"

Back then, whenever I'd call my insurance agent he'd answer my calls with, "What have you hit now?" Boy I hated to have to call that guy.

Good to be here.

Datto

Images

My Mom got a deer 3 years in a row with her old Subaru Wagon which became known as The Deer Slayer

My neighbor and I were racing dirt bikes through the woods when we were teenagers. He was about 20 yards ahead of me on a trail when a buck shot out of the woods and hit him and knocked him off the bike. The buck got up and ran away. My neighbor broke his arm. I still can't explain how that one happened...hit and run by a deer...

Images

I had a deer jump over the hood of my car on a state highway late one night. It scared the crap out of me and left a big ding on the top middle of the hood. Lucky me, lucky deer.

I have family that live in the Oxon Hill area of Maryland and when I visit I see more deer on my mom’s street/backyard than anytime or anywhere on the trail. Not an exaggeration, I can see deer everyday at her house by just walking outside, I can also see the U.S. Capitol at the end of her street.

When I walked down to the construction site of the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge I saw 2 deer jumping/running along side the beltway.

Amazing stories all of them!

I had a deer bounce off the front of my car one evening; did about $1,000 in damage. She ran off before I could get her insurance info! Almost as bad, I collected a wild turkey at about 60 mph one day. That did about $500 in damage.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Pennsylvania Game Commission has determined that rocks and rattlesnakes cause some hikers to slow down and watch where they are going. The most effective tools they've found to slow down motorists are the sign and press release.

They might do more by suggesting drivers walk.

Images

When I was attending school at the Presidio of Monterey in 1984 while in the Air Force, we were running at a track at the top of the hill. A deer came running across the track- probably being chased by a dog or something- and ran into a female airman at full bore, breaking her leg. The deer kept on going.

Images

I thought this referred to deer crashing into hikers.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

A couple of nights ago I had a deer running parallel to me in the wrong lane down the main street of Bolivar, WV. I swear all of these deer are drunk.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

A fawn just missed me while day hiking at Big Meadows at SNP a few year back.

This morning while driving to work, I almost hit a cow in the fog. There were several on the road. A fence must be down. The pleasures of living in the country!
    You are never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I thought this referred to deer crashing into hikers.

TW
    About a month ago I was up on Louden Heights during a thunderstorm and a young deer, panicked, I think, by the lightning and the sudden downpour, was running pell mell through the woods and came within two feet of knocking me down before it swerved.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

We need more preditors to keep these beasts in line. People, wolves, cougars, whatever. I take my life in my hands daily going to and from work.

The one time I hit one a genious Idaho State Trooper ticketed me for leaving the scene. Prosecutor rolled his eyes and moved to dismiss. Also $9000 damage.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Young buck charged me on a trail & I stood my ground next to a tree, and yelled. The horns were quite a concern. My thought was to use the hiking pole as a bat.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I need just one more to be an "Ace"......sigh
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I need just one more to be an "Ace"......sigh
    hehehehehehehe............

I was visiting Blacksburg VA once and after a night with a buddy of mine that lives not too far from there Iws coming back into town from the interstate (you folks that have been there know what road I'm talking about) and the road is kind of like a rollercoaster--up and down. Anyway it's about 3AM, I'm tired and just want to get back to the hotel and as I crest one of the little hills all I see is a million points of light--an entire herd of deer are standing in the middle of the road.

I just did my best to bob and weave through them. Not a one of them moved while I was busy swinging the wheel from lock to lock. Somehow I managed to not hit any and I kept the rental out of the ditch and on the road. Needless to say I was wide awake again after that.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Here's a good resource for deer accidents:

Statistics

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++