WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defense?

Default Self Defense?

I was just wondering if anyone here carries any form of self defense from wildlife while on the AT? I completely understand that the chances of ever being attacked by anything are very low, but I am sure there are some who just feel more comfortable with some form of protection. From reading some of the posts on these forums, I have seen some mentions of bear deterrent spray. I personally carry a can of Guard Alaska, and I will admit that I just have it to make myself feel more comfortable - I know the chances of ever having to use it are almost non-existent. So, who else here carries some form of protection, and what do you carry? Also, has anyone ever encountered a situation where you actually had to use it?

Dave, leave the mace at home; it's no replacement for common sense.

Wanna carry something useful?? DEET!
    Roland

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your input. I completely agree with you that it is no replacement for common sense, but it definitely makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable. Running from a bear, for example, is a very bad idea, since it could trigger a predatory response. However, I'd personally find it much easier to stand my ground against a bear if I knew I had some sort of "Plan B".

Images

Honestly, as a solo hikier, I am more worried about the humans that I may run across on any trail than any critter that is out there. 1/2 that fret comes from being in law enforcement for most of my adult life, and now working privately doing employment background checks.... there's a lot of freaks out there!! Half my fear is alleved by working with wild critters on a daily basis... I work with a wildlife rescue agency and foster several odds and ends at home...even skunks!
    I agree w/ Roland, take DEET! The skeeters in AL & FL can be mistake for mini F-16's!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

i've thought about carrying "Halt!" It's more for bikers to carry and use against dogs.

If it makes you feel better knowing there is a plan B then I think it's worth it.

With that said, I don't think that your average joe/jane from Big City, USA should carry this and be the most confident person in the woods. You seem to be realistic in what it can do for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

it's not the animals that live in the woods that you need to worry about but occasionally the animals from our society show up out there and a can of mace might come in handy...........

I have carried pepper spray for the 6 years I have been hiking on the AT and never had to pull it out of my pack. But I will still carry it this year. Better safe than sorry on some things.

I carry firecrackers sometimes to scare off bears and dogs. The mace I carry is for people....

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Dave, leave the mace at home; it's no replacement for common sense.
    Sadly, common sense does not always allow us to avoid conflict. If only everyone ELSE on the trail had common sense too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave568
    Hi Roland,

Thanks for your input. I completely agree with you that it is no replacement for common sense, but it definitely makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable. Running from a bear, for example, is a very bad idea, since it could trigger a predatory response. However, I'd personally find it much easier to stand my ground against a bear if I knew I had some sort of "Plan B".
    dave, if you see a black bear, chances are, it will be running from you. people scare the hell out of black bears, because they usually hear gun fire shortly there after. any bear that was close enough to smell me couldn't get away fast enough. no need for the mace. you've got a better chance of accidently peppering yourself or someone else than the bear. most pepper spray has a range of 12 to 20 feet and that's it. no chance of being that close to a black bear unless you've slathered yourself in peanut butter and chocolate bars.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

if some try,s to rob me,they will be sorry for a very short time,thats a promise neo

Images

The most dangerous place I ever hiked was in Washington, DC. Mace is no protection against politicians - the most vicious life-form on this planet. (I use the term "life-form" in the same sense that zombies are life-forms).

That pepper-spray just makes you taste a little spicier....

That can of mace isn't going to do much good against the swarm of yellow jackets coming out of the nest you just walked across.

I was just as happy to carry nothing. Less weight!

No defense would have saved me from the mice eating my glasses and socks or the skunk from laying siege to my tent or even the fleas from once infesting my sleeping bag. The bearpole-climbing racoon was defeated by smearing the pole with neosporin gel. Those were the only time I was really bothered the whole thruhike.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker
    Sadly, common sense does not always allow us to avoid conflict. If only everyone ELSE on the trail had common sense too.
    Dave568 asked for advice about self-defense against wildlife, not people.
    Roland

1. Mace, pepper, or other "bear sprays" are illegal in many areas. By
    carrying them, many folks break the law.

2. They are almost never used.

3. Most folks don't know how to use them properly, and frequently end up
    spraying themselves or others.

4. If a large animal (like a charging bear) is really pissed off, your spray
    will accomplish nothing, even if you have time to reach and use it.

5. The majority of folks on the A.T. don't feel that these items are
    necessary. The best defense against problems with animals in the
    backcountry is prudence and common sense.

{Hit by a large prudence, the bear was dazed and staggered backwards. Another, and the bear turned and high-tailed it to the land where common sense never goes!}

Agree with Jack, 350 lbs of bear running 20mph is not going be be turned back by a little squirt when he's within 15 feet of closure. Actually it's probably going to be a "she" because this probably will only happen if you try to play with the cubs!

Just take a buddy with you that you can beat in a 50 yd dash; then you only have to outrun him instead of the bear

A hiking pole(s) or hiking staff, a loud voice, and a grapefruit sized rock (found alongside the trail) should be enough to deter most any animal. Chances are, it'll be a dog if anything chases after you. Happened to me in PA.

No worries.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++