WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike Partner Wanted March 2019 NOBO

Hi! I am looking for someone who would maybe want to section hike the Georgia part starting at the approach. I was looking to go in early march 2019, hoping to get it done in 9 or 10 days, shouldn't be that difficult. I'm a 20 y/o college kid, hammock camper, considering hiking with a dog for protection (being a female) on spring break. I have hiked a few trails in my short time. I started exploring my land out in east Texas, then moved on to trails up in Crested Butte, CO. This will be my first part of the AT! Super stoked to go, and even if I don't find anyone, maybe I'll meet some of y'all anyway. PM me if you're interested or just reply to this thread.

Just show up, there will be plenty of others to hike with. Probably too many. 20 to 50 a day start that time of year. 9-10 days should be doable, depending on weather. You don't need a dog for protection and would likey be a liability given the likely cold and wet weather along with the large number of hikers crowding shelters and campsites. And if you hammock, be sure you can be comfortable in it down to at least 20 degrees. Which means a pretty darn good under quilt.

Other then that, have a good time!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Oh man I didn’t know so many people started then. Thanks for the advice! I’m exploring tent options, my dad said I’d freeze my butt off in a hammock so we’ll see what he says thanks! I hope the weather will be good, won’t really know until closer to March.

Yeah there are a bunch of us starting early/mid-March. I'm sure you won't have a problem finding like-minded hikers to fall in with!

There's no reason at all that you can't use a hammock. Lots of people do (including me.) There's a lot to be said for being comfortable and up off the ground. You just need to think about insulation underneath the hammock in cold weather. Check out hammockforums.com for lots of good info on hammocks and I highly recommend Shugemery's youtube videos as well. I would second the advice about not needing to worry about hiking "alone" - especially that time of year. There will be lots of people starting their thru-hikes and hikers are good about looking out for each other.

Default Section Hike Partner Wanted March 2019 NOBO

March is colder in the Georgia mountains than people expect and can be wildly unpredictable. I live between Atlanta and the AT maybe 45 minutes to the trail and even this close it can be 15-20 degrees colder on trail. A few weeks back, I left home at 90 degrees and when I parked at Tesnatee Gap it was 74.

If you want to stick with the hammock, I suggest trying it this winter on some cold nights and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by aashlxy View Post
    \I’m exploring tent options, my dad said I’d freeze my butt off in a hammock so we’ll see what he says :roll\
    No need to freeze if properly equipped but it can get expensive! Everything you need to know about hammocks:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

++ New Posts ++