WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help me upgrade rain fly for Hennessy hammock, please!

I've been looking for a fly with more coverage/simple set up for my 2019 thru hike attempt. Does anyone have experience with "The Journey" from Hammock Gear? Any other suggestions? I've been out camping with my hammock and standard fly quite a bit, but never in heavy rain or many days in a row. Looking for something I don't have to think too hard about setting up when it's pouring and also looking for the option of a little more "standing" privacy. Thanks for your help!

Check out Warbonnet’s Superfly - they occasionally go on sale - usually around Black Friday.. that’s a full coverage tarp. Recommend the sil-poly for no stretch. Sold my sil-nylon for that reason.

Also - UGQ Winter Dream. I have the 13’ Sil-Poly XL width - hard to beat for coverage— a little on the heavy side because of size.

Want lightweight and coverage— get the Winter Palace from Hammock Gear. You’re talking $$$$ though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I have one of the OEM Maccat tarps for my HH. I got it years ago, but I think it's the mid-sized one. It sets up nice and tight. Not too expensive.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ccat_tarps.php
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have an old 9x9 JRB silnylon tarp which packs down small and keeps the rain out just fine; unfortunately, it is no longer sold. Just mentioning it for the size; you don't need something huge and complicated to do the job.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

What you need is any decent-sized hex fly (at least 12' in length). The lighter the better, of course, so go for the lightest material you can afford. Mine is DIY, made from an off-brand Icarex kite fabric that is unfortunately no longer available. The best commercial options are Cuben, but really anything light and waterproof will do. The other thing to keep in mind is that the best way to deploy a fly for a Hennessy is to hang it separately from the hammock by its own ridgeline. That means you can depend on keeping it taut during the night, even when the hammock changes its configuration.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Yes, I hang my tarp on a separate ridgeline, too, It's square, and designed to hang on the diagonal.

++ New Posts ++