WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First snow.

Default First snow.

Raf and I climbed Smarts Mountain yesterday and spent the night in the Ranger cabin. This is what we woke up to this morning and that's only at 3200 feet. After a short discussion, we decided it would be best to head back down rather then continue on the Hexacube shelter and spend the night there all wet and cold and freezing. Yep, call us wimps, but we weren't really geared up for this.

Oh and we meet two SOBO flip floppers who hope to make it to Harpers Ferry - good luck!

SAM_4363.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We decided to stay in bed this morning rather than climbing North Twin. Listening to the rain falling was sufficient impetus to roll over and go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    We decided to stay in bed this morning rather than climbing North Twin. Listening to the rain falling was sufficient impetus to roll over and go back to sleep.
    Don't blame you, looks like all the summits got some snow. Adams/Madison should look nice in the morning if the clouds clear.

I would call you wise instead of wimps.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Journal Entries
    Images

It snowed a bit yesterday in West Lafayette, IN.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

looking at the forecast for the next week, it looks like winter is suddenly here to stay.

Yup, a trace of snow outlining the above treeline areas of Madison and Adams this AM. Supposed to warm up so it will melt off. I have been at my house in Gorham since 1988 and for the first 15 years it was pretty predictable that the summits would get a brush of snow at least one night before the end of September. For the last 10 years, its been shifting to mid October. I still have one tomato plant and a pepper plant out in the garden as I havent had a hard freeze yet. Getting close but trying to reduce the amount of green tomatoes I end up with. I cover then on the nights that its expected to go below freezing.

Bah, I was too slow. Had tentatively planned a two day trip up to Gorham on Tuesday/Wednesday to do some hiking. I'm not a big fan of hiking in freezing rain and snow. I'll keep an eye on the weather over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Bah, I was too slow. Had tentatively planned a two day trip up to Gorham on Tuesday/Wednesday to do some hiking. I'm not a big fan of hiking in freezing rain and snow. I'll keep an eye on the weather over the next few days.
    Doesn't look promising. Rain every other day and followed by some real cold temps. I would imagine more snow up high.

May have to start carrying snowshoes

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    May have to start carrying snowshoes
    Maybe I should give it another chance, since the last time I snowshoed I was fat and horribly out of shape. But I remember a lot of sweaty uncomfortable trudging involved, and I gave away the snowshoes.

Snowshoes may not be that useful as opposed to micro-spikes when winter begins and the snow pack is not very deep, however as the snow pack deepens they can be. Much like other foot gear there are different snowshoes for different conditions. Very broad and long shoes for more float on fresh snow (which may account for uncomfortable trudging through fresh snow) to narrow, shorter snowshoes used on groomed trails to avoid postholing and improve traction.

As winter conditions mature, snowshoes should be worn on groomed (traveled) trails especially when the snow pack is deep. Postholing on groomed trails in winter is not only poor form, it can cause injury when postholes catch the edges of snow shoes or are unseen following a light snowfall. There are some areas and parks where not using snowshoes can generate a ticket.

There are some areas and parks where not using snowshoes can generate a ticket.

This is true in the Adirondacks, and regular folks up there are not shy about reminding — if not loudly demanding — that folks should wear snowshoes or skis.

I wish that were true everywhere. A couple of jerks in the Catskills can really decimate what was previously a beautiful, perfect snowshoe/ski trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

This is true in the Adirondacks, and regular folks up there are not shy about reminding — if not loudly demanding — that folks should wear snowshoes or skis.

I wish that were true everywhere. A couple of jerks in the Catskills can really decimate what was previously a beautiful, perfect snowshoe/ski trail.
    i wont pretend to know why or how, or if, this relates to the points raised above. but the one time i used snowshoes in harriman state park i actually got yelled at by a skier FOR wearing snowshoes on the groomed trail.

lol, Harriman is hopeless — far too close to the Big City to expect anything but complete mayhem. Totally avoid Reeves Meadow and pretty much anything on the west side of the park and life will be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i wont pretend to know why or how, or if, this relates to the points raised above. but the one time i used snowshoes in harriman state park i actually got yelled at by a skier FOR wearing snowshoes on the groomed trail.
    Groomed x-country trails usually have two tracks for skies and snowshoes should stay in the middle between the tracks. But if there is no option but to stomp along the ski tracks, well that's just the way it is. At least you weren't postholing.

Good point I forgot to address... no actual "groomed" trails in Harriman AFAIK. And I have the exact same philosophy to avoid set tracks whenever possible, but if there's no option, well, I've done what I can and a good skier can still navigate them no problem.

Funny, I frequently find skiers tracking up my snowshoe track in the winter, it its deep power and flat country they dont mind the help breaking trail.

I broke out a cross country ski track on the Eastern trail one winter. It's a gas pipeline right of way. Next day I went back to ski and somebody snowshoes up my ski track. I broke out another ski track and some moron illegally drove a snowmobile down it. I gave up after that. Too many bidiots in Biddeford.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Groomed x-country trails usually have two tracks for skies and snowshoes should stay in the middle between the tracks. But if there is no option but to stomp along the ski tracks, well that's just the way it is. At least you weren't postholing.
    the snow wasnt deep enough to really post hole, especially not in the "groomed" area. but i will add he didnt say anything to the people hiking in it without snowshoes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++