WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gear

Default Gear

So Im trying to decide on some gear, since I have close to none being so inexperienced (am I crazy being so ambitious?) And I was wondering if any one had heard of the new Nemo Morpho Tent? It has airbeams that are inflated using a foot pump, and it only takes 45 seconds! Its a little heavier that Id like at 4.8lbs but wow! you can check it out at www.nemoequipment.com . It is a little pricy!
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Also, what do you all recommend using for camp shoes that are kinda light?
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

Are you for real? My pack, sleeping bag, and tarp, weigh just under 4lbs. You will figure it out, just stick around.

4.8lbs does seem a little heavy (especially if it is just you) and it will only get heavier the more you hike! Personally the simpler it is the more I like it.

Images

Love my Crocs for light camp shoes - find 'em at Campmor. Alternatively Waldies may be found on the web. The Crocs have a back strap which I prefer - the Waldies are backless.
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

or get the fake crocs at Payless - I got mine for $6 on clearance and so far they are holding up.

As for tents - get a tarp tent from Henry Shire.

And best idea of all - get out there and hike / backpack all you can in all kinds of conditions this spring / summer to see what it's like. Don't try to thru hike without finding out how to deal with the hard stuff - like being cold, wet, hot, dehydrated, hungry, achy, angry, etc. Most of this is mental.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Smile

Thanks guys this is helpful! im not going alone, I will be going with my husband so the weight will be shared... though I think I will look into the cheaper, lighter options....

What is it specifically that you like so much about the crocs? Are they light weight?

i'm bringing aquasocks with me for camp shoes. they're cheap and light. basically just thin rubber soles with mesh nylon for the rest of the shoe. [:

i can't help you with the tent because i'm doing the hammock thing.

Ditto on the Henry Shires's Tarp Tent.. less than two lb's. Watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves....
    I used flip flops from Walmart.. Almost five pounds for a tent? Who else is going with you?

Roxy, you can check out Jesse Browns and Great Outdoor Provision Co for the Crocs and other gear (you might already have) and I know GOP will try their best to match prices and give discounts. That nemo tent does look cool though. Some of their tents seem to be light enough for two. Kel and I are bringing a Northface Tadpole, just under 5 pounds but about 3.5 pounds lighter than my old tent. You could Contact that company and see if they would give you one for their first tent on a through hike.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Nice thing aobut crocs or croc lookalikes for me is that they are extremely light and can be worn with socks (like Acorn socks) to keep your feet semi-warm in the colder months. I was going to bring just sandals myself but decided the crocs were good as all around foot protection while in camp. Also, they are awesome for river crossings and dry super quick.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The Nemo Burrito looks great for a single. I looked it up recently too after seeing it in Backpacker magazine. I wish I could get it!! But it's way too expensive for me. I'd be interested in hearing some more reviews on the Nemos once they are out for a while. Right now I'm leaning towards the MSR Hubba for myself.
    Mindi

Images

For camp shoes and town shoes, I just had a cheap, lightweight pair of Tevas and they were just fine. It seemed everyone in 2003 went crazy for these shoes called Waldies (basically crocs) but I was perfectly happy with what I had.

Honestly, I just don't know about the whole inflatable tent thing, I've not seen one in person so I'm sort of dubious about them. How easily is it punctured and if it is are you stuck without shelter?

Default nemo

Quote Originally Posted by Singe03
    For camp shoes and town shoes, I just had a cheap, lightweight pair of Tevas and they were just fine. It seemed everyone in 2003 went crazy for these shoes called Waldies (basically crocs) but I was perfectly happy with what I had.

Honestly, I just don't know about the whole inflatable tent thing, I've not seen one in person so I'm sort of dubious about them. How easily is it punctured and if it is are you stuck without shelter?
    From the content of their website I think that they have that issue covered. It seems that they use two tubes for what would normally use one pole. So if one gets punctured the integrity of the tent isn't completely lost. I'd imagine hard core users might even remove a tube to save weight

I am also a fan of Crocs for camp shoes. I have even been taking them on winter trips recently. When there is snow on the ground I wrap my gaiters around the front so no snow gets in the holes.

This whole blow up tent thing is interesting, but a bit on the heavy side. I would wait for a while to see how trail worthy they are. Let other people be the guinea pigs.

:banana inflatable tents...ohh my...

....I was reading backpacking mag while passing thru pensacola fla. a few weeks back and read a little about the infatable tent you are refering to...sounded interesting...I wonder if I could float it down the "gully" like a house boat.

I backpack..trainhop, hike etc everywhere I go anymore; on my recent excursion to NOLA I invested in a North Face Rock 22...a bit hefty at 5 pounds but the situation called for a tent if I wasn't in a squat...I plan to use it on my return to the AT...perhaps only using the rain fly...

I like the luxury of the tent...I know that airbag thing was designed for Nasa and what not but hey...isn't it uber expensive?

no matter where ya go
    there ya are

Carolinahikers Profile

crocs huh we call them waterdogs for some reason good ole wally world purchase cheap and light.

Default Shelter

You'll learn real quick that lighter is better. Luxury items do not last very long out on the trail. Though I have seen a man run screaming into the night after being woke up by an insect the size of a large iguana (no, I'm not joking), and he never went back to his tarp again. So you may want four walls, floor, roof, and such for a tent. Just try to keep it light.

Shelters aren't a bad alternative. The company is usually good. It can even be warmer, if you aren't unlucky with the wind. If you have poles, food, cord, and a few other oddities you can make a nice mouse circus of sorts -- they can be entertaining.

Be wary of the Crocs. They gave my friends and I quite a bit of pain. Try them first if you can.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by roxy33x
    What is it specifically that you like so much about the crocs? Are they light weight?
    My XL Crocs are 12.3 oz. I like them better than open toe sandals because of the extra protection around the toes - I've had my share of branches in between my toes! They also stay on better in water crossing.
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++