WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dropper Bottle for Hand Sanitizer

I have been using the same 1oz container for my hand sanitizer for a few years now. Its the regular $1 travel container found in stores with the snap top. Ive always just kept refillining it from hiker boxes.

I see alot of hikers are using a .5oz dropper bottle for hand sanitizer. Is the sanitizer viscous enough to actually get drops?

Id try it myself, but i dont have any droppers on hand at the moment.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

could always widen the hole little, or snip the tip just a little to open it up, if it isn't

u.w.

People are overthinking their pack weight, and underthinking their sanitation needs.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    People are overthinking their pack weight, and underthinking their sanitation needs.
    Didn’t the CDC say that hand sanitizer was ineffective against norovirous, etc.?
    Why not fill the dispenser with Dr Bronners soap???????
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Didn’t the CDC say that hand sanitizer was ineffective against norovirous, etc.?
    Why not fill the dispenser with Dr Bronners soap???????
    Wayne
    The CDC actually said that soap and water is MORE effective, which can be said about any bacteria, virus, germ, whatever. They also say that hand sanitizer is a suitable substitute when soap and water are not available. Dr Bronners would be wonderful, but some people don't want to waste their drinking water to wash their hands before eating a snack or lunch when they are not near a water source. I usually carry a bit of both anyways.

Exactly. Ditch the hand sanitizer and get Dr. Bronner's!!
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    Exactly. Ditch the hand sanitizer and get Dr. Bronner's!!
    In three thru hikes. Ive never been sick once using only hand sanitizer. I dont see a need to use soap.

Sanitizer is also more LNT than soap. Unless you wipe your soapy hands off on a bandana and let it dry.

My question also had nothing to do with norovirus. Which is easy to avoid and the only trail Ive truly experienced the wake of a noro bubble is on the AT. Ive never heard it anywhere else ive hiked.

Dont sleep in shelters or grimy hostel bunks. Dont share food. Dont touch log books or brooms in shelters. Dont use privvies, etc.

Those are way more effective than sanitizer vs soap debate. Which also was not my question.

And... a half oz of sanitizer is plenty for two weeks on trail. For me. Why carry a months worth of sanitizer if I dont need to. I didnt ask how much I should be carrying. I know how much I need.

Im not underestimating my sanitation needs. Your making assumptions.

What if my plan was just to go on overnighters? A half ounce of soap isnt enough for an overnighter? Thats what your saying.

I asked if dropper bottles worked for dispensing hand sanitizer. That is all.

It does work. I transfer my sanitizer into small dropper bottles & stash them throughout my pack. One in my toilet kit, one in my cooking kit, one in the hip pocket of my pack, and an extra one in my first aid kit. I like always being able to find one.

[QUOTE=fastfoxengineering;2225823]In three thru hikes. Ive never been sick once using only hand sanitizer. I dont see a need to use soap.

That's like saying I've been driving for decades and never needed my seatbelt so I don't see a need to wear one.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

[QUOTE=The Kisco Kid;2225857]
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    In three thru hikes. Ive never been sick once using only hand sanitizer. I dont see a need to use soap.
    That's like saying I've been driving for decades and never needed my seatbelt so I don't see a need to wear one.
    Just finished a thruhike. Nobody used soap. Everyone used sanitizer and then wet wipes before bed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just finished a thruhike. Nobody used soap. Everyone used sanitizer and then wet wipes before bed.
    Seems like a bit of a bold statement as I assume you didn't see EVERYONE who was thru hiking nor watched all those around you as they went about their sanitation needs.

I know that when I thru hiked the JMT, I carried soap... I used it for washing cloths and washing my arms and legs to remove sunscreen residue before climbing into my sleeping bag.
    However, hand sanitizer IS all I used after digging a cat hole.

I used wet wipes in place of TP as I found I could get cleaner for less weight and bulk.

Images

Since the active ingredient in most hand sanitizers is ethyl alcohol/ethanol, I just cut out the middle man and pack my dropper bottle with 90% or higher rubbing ethyl alcohol.

Also, I use a 30 ML/0.5 oz bottle because it is what was there when I reached out my hand for one. No special reason other than convenience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Seems like a bit of a bold statement as I assume you didn't see EVERYONE ...
    Christ. Really? Let me rephrase - "Nobody I know or talked to or camped with ever mentioned soap, nor did I ever see them using soap."

just fill the bottle up with grain alcohol. that way you can drink it if you don't put it on your hands. LOL

hey, I just figured out. that would make it ultralite. the grain alcohol would have more than one use.

would that mean that people would bring a fifth of sanitizer?

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    just fill the bottle up with grain alcohol. that way you can drink it if you don't put it on your hands. LOL
    Fire starter in an emergency.
    Wayne

Fuel for the alcohol burner. See how useful grain alcohol is.And you thought it was only to make Purple Passion.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I have been using the same 1oz container for my hand sanitizer for a few years now. Its the regular $1 travel container found in stores with the snap top. Ive always just kept refillining it from hiker boxes.

I see alot of hikers are using a .5oz dropper bottle for hand sanitizer. Is the sanitizer viscous enough to actually get drops?

Id try it myself, but i dont have any droppers on hand at the moment.

On the microdopper bottles I have, the little nose piece comes out to fill it up, so not an issue if it doesn't come out with that piece attached, just remove. Overnight they are ok but a couple days tends to use it up so I tend to use the travel size container. If you are comfortable estimating use and find a dropper with the desired mls, it'll work.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Take an empty nasal spray bottle and pop the round applicator head off. Remove the tube attached to the applicator and clean out the bottle. Fill the bottle with soap, alcohol, Purell, or whatever. Put the applicator head back on the bottle and put the screw cap back on over the applicator head. Tighten the cap and the head will snap back into the bottle. Just don't spray your nose with it!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++