WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MYT's In Bulk

W8lkinUSA

I agree with all above comments about MRE. I think they are more salty than mountain house. I stay away from saltier items though. You'd also be packing so much MRE trash out.

I have some MRE in my coat closet for the times that my kitchen sink is so full that making Ramen is out of the question. I also keep a couple in the office cabinet in case I'm too busy for lunch.

Grabbing a couple of MREs and no stove for a last minute trip is a great idea since it shortens trip preparation time.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    In Alaska folks recommend throwing some cans of dog food in the trunk. In theory if they are starving they can eat the dog food but normally wouldnt do so.
    Wouldn't canned beans suffice? Or does dog food not freeze?

Wouldn't canned beans suffice? Or does dog food not freeze? I think the goal is to have something revolting enough that its not eaten unless things are desperate. I think canned beans are not revolting enough.

I'd advise you to stay as far away from MREs as possible. Way to heavy and WAAAAY too expensive. Try some dried stuff like rice or couscous mixed with some freeze dried hamburger or chicken or even some tuna packs. Mountain House is pretty good but a bit expensive for a long hike. Check out some videos on youtube and see what thru-hikers are packing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++