WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alcohol and white gas resupply

Is denatured alcohol readily available in towns along the Colorado Trail? I know I can get it in the bigger towns like Breck and Salida, but what about the smaller ones? I don't want to sent fuel ahead in maildrops, even assuming the PO would take it (they probably wouldn't).

What about white gas? I may switch to a gas stove on the southern section as the temps up high drop in late September. I'm going next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Dust
    Is denatured alcohol readily available in towns along the Colorado Trail? I know I can get it in the bigger towns like Breck and Salida, but what about the smaller ones? I don't want to sent fuel ahead in maildrops, even assuming the PO would take it (they probably wouldn't).

What about white gas? I may switch to a gas stove on the southern section as the temps up high drop in late September. I'm going next month.
    I'm not sure about denatured alcohol or white gas, but you can find HEET in just about every town along the CT. You can find it in gas stations, convenience stores, hardware stores, just about everywhere. Look for the HEET in the yellow bottle, which burns cleaner than denatured alcohol and works well in pepsi stoves. Avoid the other HEET in the red bottle, which is iso-alcohol and doesn't burn well.

++ New Posts ++