WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: ideas about CO

Default ideas about CO

I'm going to Breckenridge for a week on June 18, 2006. I've never been out west and would like ideas about neat places to visit while I'm there. I'd at least like to take a couple of day hikes, maybe even on the CT. Any ideas?
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

You could take the CT from Breckenridge (w) to Copper Mountain, then the CDT (n) through the Eagle Nest Wilderness to Silverthorne and free public transportation back to Breckenridge.

It's probably less than 30 miles but best be in shape for that one.

The section from Brek to Copper is really awesome. You will definitely hit snow that time of year but should be able to get through. I am pretty sure the free transportation also will get you from Copper to Brek via Frisco. Cool places for sure. I think you will be impressed with the scenery. Have fun.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Free Bus Service

Summit Stage: Summit Stage is the free bus service that goes along the various mountain towns. You could catch a Greyhound bus to Frisco and from there take the free Summit Stage Bus to the trailhead just outside of Breck/Frisco or to Copper Mountain. Naturally, you can reverse the route and take the Summit Stage from the trailheads at Breck/Frisco or Copper and go to Frisco and catch a Greyhound back to Denver (or Durango). http://www.summitstage.com/

SOOOOOOOOO...you can easily do a trek from Breck to Copper (or visa versa) along the CT/CDT with the free bus service. Get back via the bus again.

For doing the Wolf CDT route, you can take the Summit Stage to Silverthorne as well.

If you rent a bike and want a break for hiking, the bike path is really nice. Many places in Breck rent bikes (IIRC).

The Trails Illustrated maps of of #108 Vail/Frisco/Dillon
    #109 Breckenridge/Tennessee Pass should do the trick.

My personal choice for larger day hike (~13 miles) is to take the Summit Stage to copper and hike NoBo on the CT (and the CDTA CDT route..wow lots of letters! ) and end at Breck's TH on CO 9. You will go through Georgia Pass and be above treeline. Very nice! Acclimate a day or two before doing this trek. When you end the trek, take the bus back into Breck.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++