WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Stover Creek Shelter (GA)

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Stover Creek Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Default What about the haints?

I really wanted to hear about the haints at Stover Creek! Hacksaw, did you ever post the "mini" version of the story on the old forum? If you did, I missed it! I'm dying here, I've just gotta know!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Love a good campfire story...

Ditto HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

There was a problem bear at Stover this spring. Got several hikers food from a tree a few days before I arrived. The hanging wasn't done too
    wisely, as it was off of a very thin, young tree. The bear appeared to have broken it in two and gotten the food that way.

Well, I stayed there and hung my food without incident. I saw the bear claw marks in the tree from a few days earlier. I suspect that those hikers didn't hang their food high enough, or far enough out from the trunk.

Incidentally, up in the Adirondacks (Lake Colden), there are some bear cables that the bears have been able to get the food off. The theory is that the cables were attached to spruce trees that flexed when the bears hung on them, and that way, the bags got close enough to the ground where another could bear could stand up and swipe at the food bags. The trees have recently been tied back so they don't flex anymore, and that has solved the problem, at least for now.

So, if you are going to bear bag, then put it up in a sturdy tree, not one that is going to bend.

Chris, you must have stayed at Stover Creek about the same time I did last spring.

Images

I was at Stover on, I believe, the night of April 30th. The bear had gotten the food just a few days earlier. Around the same time a bear was able to get food from the bear lines at the Springer shelter as well. Presumably the same bear.

Images

Bluebearee had all of food stolen by a Yogi at Springer on 4-18-02. You can read about it in her journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/

Spent the night at Stover Creek shelter 10/17/03. Table is pretty beat up but functional. Hammocked about 30 yds past the shelter, didn't have any rodent problems.

There are four bear cables installed down behind the shelter -- two were hung up on themselves. Where usually s-hooks are used for hanging, here they'd used snap-hooks and they'd snap-hooked onto the other side of the cable. We were able to free one of the two cables but couldn't get the other free.

Default Stover Creek Shelter

For all you fans of Stover Creek Shelter, you might be interested to know that the GATC will have a new shelter constructed, and that the old shelter will be dimantled.

The new shelter will be within a mile of the old shelter, and will be part of a fairly major trail relocation project that will be completed in about a year. It will continue to function as an alternative to or overflow to the Springer shelter.

The new shelter will be post and beam contruction, will be pre-cut in North Carolina, and assembled in the new location. It will feature a state of the art moldering privy and a water source about 100 yards away.

Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier
    For all you fans of Stover Creek Shelter, you might be interested to know that the GATC will have a new shelter constructed, and that the old shelter will be dimantled.

The new shelter will be within a mile of the old shelter, and will be part of a fairly major trail relocation project that will be completed in about a year. It will continue to function as an alternative to or overflow to the Springer shelter.

The new shelter will be post and beam contruction, will be pre-cut in North Carolina, and assembled in the new location. It will feature a state of the art moldering privy and a water source about 100 yards away.
    Will Stover get the special handicapped ramp access treatment a la Springer? Sue
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Roswell,GA- Wishing I was still living in NH
    Images

I enjoy staying at stover. Every time I stay, there has never been anybody else there. It's quiet, and a stream real close. The picinic table really has seen better days, never heard a peep from a mouse or a snort from a bear. I did have a deer hang out for about 5 minutes one full moon night.
    While you were waiting to be created, I was evolving.

Just what the trail needs. Another big, gawdy shelter. Friggin ridiculous.

Default Stover Creek Shelter was the only place...

...where the mice or raccoons or something got into a food bag on the steel cables. Occurred the night of Feb. 29, 2004 on Northern Harrier's first night of his thruhike. There were 5 of us at the shelter plus 2 others in tents. We all used the bear cables but only Harrier's bag was violated. Made him wonder what else would happen the rest of his hike. But he finished.

Roswell,GA- Wishing I was still living in NH
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Just what the trail needs. Another big, gawdy shelter. Friggin ridiculous.
    Agreed! Could be worse, could be managed by the AMC.
    While you were waiting to be created, I was evolving.

The Stover Creek shelter has actually been in 2 other locations prior to its current spot. I'll always remember a time back in the early 80s when it was just a few steps from the FS road. I was sleeping at the shelter with 5 friends -- 4 of whom were on their first backpacking trip -- when we heard a car stop around midnight and a couple of guys who had obviously been drinking got out, walked to the shelter, and asked if anyone knew "how to get to Doraville (a suburb of Atlanta) from here." Really weird.

Don't know if one of the guys was Youngblood.

I'm glad they're replacing the old shelter at Stover. When Fanny and I hiked from Springer to Woody in late November we stopped there for a break. It was really showing its age. I'm glad we'd stayed at Springer shelter the night before. We loved the loft construction and had the whole place to ourselves.

I stayed there on 13-April-2005 and I don't remember it being that bad. The main problem is that it is too close to the start of the trail. As I recall, it was at least 1/3 full with discarded "crap" that some idiot hiked in with and left. Tons of large batteries, and other non-hiking crud.

There were a whole five of us, two in the shelter and a group of three tenting out, so it sure didn't seem high use that day...

How about some nice tent sites instead of another rat infested mega-shelter?

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I remember last year when I went through there and there was an economy sized plastic tub of mayonaisse in the shelter.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    I remember last year when I went through there and there was an economy sized plastic tub of mayonaisse in the shelter.
    Last fall I found and carried out the same thing at Hawk Mtn. Shelter (about 6 miles ups the trail for those not familiar with GA). Strange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++