Default PCT NOBO LASH start in January?

I'm looking for feedback on starting the PCT NOBO in early January. I'm only planning to go to Kennedy Meadows South before I pull out since I only have about 6 weeks to hike. Was hoping the daily temp would be somewhere in the 50-60 degree range with night temps around freezing at worst. Am I in the ballpark or crazy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some issues at higher elevations, potentially with water,....

January and February are when Socal gets most of it's rain which brings snow to the mountains. If we get a very dry winter, you'll be fine. But much more likely, you'll need to skip around the higher mountain sections. Trail goes over 9000ft more than once while passing even taller peaks. Lower more deserty sections are very hikeable in winter, but a continuous hike to Kennedy Meadows is very iffy for the skills of most hikers in most years.

Journal Entries

There's two points that may set you back depending on the snow. The first is Idyllwild and the second was Mount Baden Powell. Lots of snow on those two sections. In 2017 the rest of the trail was a bit windy in some places. There wasn't any serious water problems.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    There's two points that may set you back depending on the snow. The first is Idyllwild and the second was Mount Baden Powell. Lots of snow on those two sections. In 2017 the rest of the trail was a bit windy in some places. There wasn't any serious water problems.
    Though my hike started in late April.

Historical averages and record high and low for Idyllwild. Single digit lows can happen in January and February.
    http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=1
    Be dry. Be warm. Be safe.
    Wayne

Mudslides are a serious risk on the PCT in SoCal during the rainy season. Many areas have recently burned and are dangerous when/if it rains a lot.

++ New Posts ++