WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A trail way of life - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (blog)

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (blog)

A trail way of life
    Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (blog)
    Schaefer headed east for another marathon trek this year, covering all 2,200 miles of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. That hike started on April 27 at Springer Mountain in Georgia and finished at Mt. Katahdin in Maine on Sept. 9. A couple ...

and more »

More...

Journal Entries

Here is another example of someone who is not content to just pose behind or beside the marker at the top of Mt. Katahdin, no he needs to stand on it. If every thru-hiker did this, I am almost positive Baxter State Park would take action. We really need to start policing ourselves and end conduct that is detrimental to the trail and those of us that give a rat's a** about preserving nature for future generations.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Here is another example of someone who is not content to just pose behind or beside the marker at the top of Mt. Katahdin, no he needs to stand on it. If every thru-hiker did this, I am almost positive Baxter State Park would take action. We really need to start policing ourselves and end conduct that is detrimental to the trail and those of us that give a rat's a** about preserving nature for future generations.
    much ado over nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I support almost every Baxter State Park policy that a lot of people whine about. I'm bias to seeing things the park's way. I don't think the park gives a **** about people standing on the sign. If they did, they could just return to constructing it the pre2009 way - which didn't have the 2x4 to stand on, near the top of the legs behind the sign face. You used to have to balance on the 2 inches of the sign face itself. These people aren't tagging the sign or causing deterioration in any way. It's not any more unsafe to climb the sign than the mountain itself.

I'm behind you on the idea that self centered hikers need to consider that their actions affect those after them. There are so many examples. I don't think that standing on the Katahdin sign is one of them.

*I didn't read the article. Just responding to the comments.

The sign does not belong to the park the MATC places the sign and maintains it. As to the complaint it’s overblown the pic is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++