WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Keeping pack, boots, etc dry whem hammock camping

How do you keep your pack, boots, etc dry when hammock camping?

Are there better means of doing this than sitting them on the ground beneath the hammock and hoping for the best?

Seakayaker

I almost always have mine directly under my hammock. The tarp provides a lot of coverage so things stay dry underneath. I know some people have a small piece of a ground cloth they set gear on. But unless you are hanging over a stream, under the tarp is fine.

Default Keeping pack, boots, etc dry whem hammock camping

I keep everything under my hammock as well and cover with my rain jacket or poncho if I'm expecting heavy rain
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

On top of a 3x3 plastic sheet under the tarp. If it is raining, I put the pack cover on also.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Some people will keep their gear in their pack and hang it off the hammock suspension. Same for boots.

Everything is on the ground under the hammock, starting with hiking poles (parallel to each other), boots (on their sides), and last, the pack, with a rain cover. This setup has worked well for me.

Images

Using a caribiner hang your backpack from your suspension with rain cover over top of it.
    Boots on the ground turned inward on their sides to keep insects and critters from crawling inside.
    Trekking poles are within reach just in case they're needed as objects of defense or retaliation .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Using a caribiner hang your backpack from your suspension with rain cover over top of it.
    Boots on the ground turned inward on their sides to keep insects and critters from crawling inside.
    Trekking poles are within reach just in case they're needed as objects of defense or retaliation .

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Like a lot of people, I hang my pack from the foot-end suspension strap with a carabiner and the pack cover over it (in reverse, since the straps are facing out) to protect it from rain and damp. I hang my boots on another carabiner at the bottom end of the ridgeline and hanging outside the hammock where I can get to them easily when I need to get up (all too often, since I'm an old coot.) With my large fly hung separately, this keeps everything nicely dry and I can get to it all easily without getting out of the hammock.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Like others, I use a piece of polycro that I got from Gossamer Gear. I just use rocks or whatever to hold the corners down and rely on my tarp to keep it all out of the rain. Anything important, like my electronics and sleep system, to include sleeping clothes are in my hammock with me anyway. I also cover my pack with the rain cover just in case there is a blowing sideways rain.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I’ve done a couple things, nothing real fancy.
    Tie the shoes together and thrown them over my hammock ridgeline under the tarp. Mostly they just go right under me under the hammock and tarp. Same for the pack. Sometimes I’ll lay the pack on top of my hiking poles, and sometimes the poles get propped up some on a stick or water bottle to elevate it. I could put the pack on my ridgeline if there was a stream under the tarp.

I've actually been thinking about this. I usually hang my pack from my suspension as others have said. I've been thinking of a way to use a ground sheet but slightly suspended. I haven't tried it, mind you, but have been mulling it over. My idea would be to have a ground sheet slightly raised at the corners using my tarp's guide outs or some shock cord. You could walk on it and let it press to the ground but the edges would be raised enough to keep water that might run along the ground from getting over the edges. This way just about anything could be placed on it and stay dry, being under the tarp.

Another thought is a smaller hammock to sling under the existing hammock strictly for keeping gear in. That would be adding a bit more weight, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post

Another thought is a smaller hammock to sling under the existing hammock strictly for keeping gear in. That would be adding a bit more weight, of course.
    I was wondering if anybody would recommend a gear hammock. I have seen them advertised. Never seen one in use though.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I've actually been thinking about this. I usually hang my pack from my suspension as others have said. I've been thinking of a way to use a ground sheet but slightly suspended. I haven't tried it, mind you, but have been mulling it over. My idea would be to have a ground sheet slightly raised at the corners using my tarp's guide outs or some shock cord. You could walk on it and let it press to the ground but the edges would be raised enough to keep water that might run along the ground from getting over the edges. This way just about anything could be placed on it and stay dry, being under the tarp.

It sounds like it could turn into an unexpected bathtub

Images

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I was wondering if anybody would recommend a gear hammock. I have seen them advertised. Never seen one in use though.
    Clark Jungle Hammocks have pouches underneath for gear storage . The Jungle Hammocks aren't the lightest but do provide those sizable storage pouches.

I’m a little more basic. I just carry a big black garbage back and put the whole pack, shoes, etc in the bag and kinda tie the end up - since it sits under the hammock. I always seem to get splatter from heavy rain pouring off the tarp. This seems to keep everything in the bag dry. Pretty basic, but it works well.

Shoes and trekking poles go under the hammock on a 3x6 piece of tyvex. Pack is usually hung on a nearby tree but if it's raining i often put it the empty pack liner under the hammock unless the pack is already wet. I've also hung the pack and food in the pack liner using my bear bag line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    It sounds like it could turn into an unexpected bathtub
    Yeah you’d definitely have to keep it well under the tarp.

I usually just hang everything off the suspension and load my shelf with stuff (warbonnet). I also usually carry a small piece of foam to sit on but when I go sleep I place it underneath my hammock so that I can step on dry and insulated ground when I need to get into and out of my hammock. When it is really cold I place the backpack under my feet to further insulate.
    Let me go

There are several cottage companies that make gear slings/storage hammocks that fit under the hammock so ts elevated. Some hammocks are being designed to have more storage space as well (Sheltowee, SMD, etc).

I just set mine on some Tyvek and put the pack inside my rain kilt if it’s going to be extra nasty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++