WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Top Quilt recommendations?

Just purchased a Mt. Washington 3 underquilt from Jacksrbetter. It will be used with my Hennessy Expedition Asym.

Now, I need a top quilt. Looking for down, 3 season (or better). I'm not an ultralight purist.

Any suggestions?

Seakayaker

Are you unhappy with the Jacksrbetter underquilt? They make top quilts as well. Other good options would be Enlightened Equipment or Hammock Gear (their econ line is a pretty good deal.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Are you unhappy with the Jacksrbetter underquilt? They make top quilts as well. Other good options would be Enlightened Equipment or Hammock Gear (their econ line is a pretty good deal.)
    Definitely not unhappy with them. I called them and spoke with them for 45 minutes before ordering the underquilt. It arrived 2 days later. Haven't used it yet but it looks good. Their customer service is definitely excellent. I'll definitely consider them for the top quilt as well. Just considering all options. New to this.

Hammock Gear, UGQ, Arrowhead Quilts, Warbonnet Equipment, Dutchware, LocoLibre...

JRB Sierra series for the down poncho capability - leave the idle-time/campsite insulating jacket home. When sitting around camp on an insulated pad, a down poncho is much warmer than an equivalent weight down jacket due to the 'mitten effect' of having all limbs inside. Down hood is great too and works in poncho or quilt modes.

I absolutely LOVED my Loco Libre Ghost Pepper top quilt. I only sold it because I moved internationally and had to limit what I brought...and I'm a ground dweller more than a hammocker. What sold me on the Ghost Pepper (and the Carolina Reaper) were the chevron baffles that prevent down shift...and they definitely work. They do run on the small size as they seem to measure differently than other companies do...so a short length/ regular wide quilt for a 5'6" tall person (I'm 5'5") was actually too short and narrow for me (too narrow on the ground, would have been fine in a hammock). Their quality is awesome and George has great customer service.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

have top quilt posted on this site like to sell if you are interested
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Just purchased a Mt. Washington 3 underquilt from Jacksrbetter. It will be used with my Hennessy Expedition Asym.

Now, I need a top quilt. Looking for down, 3 season (or better). I'm not an ultralight purist.

Any suggestions?

Seakayaker
    Have top quilt I would like to sell if interested send me an email. This top quilt is posted on this site
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

I ended up getting the Zefabak Black 500 from Amazon. Price was about 1/2 or less of what many others I saw elsewhere. Tried it out last weekend. It got down to 43F and that was my only top cover. I was toasty warm and slept like a rock all night. I don't usually go with the lowest bidder but this one had good reviews and I knew that I could repurpose it if I found it unsuitable for hammock use. Seems its going to do well though.

I like my UGQ (Underground Quilt). Like most of the cottage quilt makers, you can order it the way you want it. (color, loft, overstuff, fabric, footbox style, etc...).

++ New Posts ++