WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Good watch for the trail - need recommendation

Until the Fitbit craze I always wore Casio G-Shock watches. Super durable except for the dang watchbands.

Anyway, today my Garmin Vivofit fell into the Wadmalaw River never to be seen or heard from again.

I'm considering purchase of a watch this time. Want something durable, digital, has a backlight. Prefer one that is KNOWN to have easily replaceable watchband.

No way would I consider spending $400 or $500 unless someone can convince me that is has a "SUPER KILLER FEATURE THAT I MUST HAVE". That's a high bar.

I'm thinking price range from $80 to about $250, roughly. Might consider a little more for good quality, features, warranty, etc.

What features should I consider for hiking/backpacking?

What watch do YOU recommend?

Thanks!

Seakayaker

Journal Entries

A watches feature....is to show you what time it is, conveniently.

If u spend more than $40 for watch, your just throwing money away. Everyday watches/ work watches are plastic and disposeable. Last about 2 yrs, when batt dies, watch is scratched up enough to replace. Timex ironman works fine. Indiglo backlight is good for time at night. I get new one in christmas stocking every other year. My good watches never get worn anymore, even when dress up.

An important aspect is low profile, smoith transition from band to watch so not to catch bad on pack strap when putting on/off.

IMG_20181024_103733959.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-24-2018 at 11:40.

I buy a cheap small one, take the bands off and throw the watch itself no bigger round then a quarter right in my hip belt pocket. Almost as convenient as wearing one and I never liked wearing them.

Timex Ironman, $37 at Walmart.

For my LASH this year, I wanted a multi-function watch. So I bought a [LAD WEATHER] Multi-functional Watch Altimeter/ Barometer/ Compass/ Heart Rate Monitor/ Weather Forecast Sports/ Outdoor/ Fitness. It reports the barometric pressure, which tells you what kind of weather to expect. It has an accurate compass, a thermometer (have to take the watch off for at least 15 minutes to get an accurate ambient temperature), a step counter, mileage recorder, stopwatch, alarm, records heart rate and pulse, etc., etc.

Well my phone has a barometer (most phones do), a compass (most phones do), an app for a step counter, mileage recorder, stop watch, alarm, records heart rate and pulse, etc., etc. My phone does not have an internal thermometer, but it has the Weather Underground app. Except for the weather app, I can leave the phone in airplane mode and everything else work - I just can't get an accurate, current, local temperature

The watch cost $100 from Amazon. It was a waste of money. I still can't figure out why i believed it so important to have it. Before this year's LASH, I wore a $20 cheapo from Walmart during my 2016 and 2017 LASH's and never noticed that I was missing all the neat little gizmos a $100 watch provides.

If you don't have a smart phone, I guess a watch would be a good alternative and so I recommend the one I have. Otherwise, buy a cheapo that is water resistant. It'll do the job.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Cheap, durable, no need to charge. I like having an alarm on trail to start the day at dawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Garmin VivoSmart that I wear normally since the step count reminds me to get up and move more (not really a concern when I'm hiking).
    I left it at home during my last long backpack because it is one more thing to charge every few days and it does not count steps accurately when I use trekking poles. I have also tried a Fitbit and found the same limitations.
    For my hike, I dug my old Timex Expedition (~$35) out my dresser draw and used that. It tells the time, it has a good light, and an alarm that can wake me up for the few days I want to do get going early.

Another Ironman vote.

Joining the Ironman watch group too. Wonderful watch for the money with some usable features too boot!

Images

I cannot say enough good things about this inexpensive, but very useful watch:

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Sensor-...43CMEN5Q93RGH3

I buy one every couple years, that's about how long they last basically being worn every day, on the trail or off (except on dates with wife, where I wear a fancy watch!). After two years, the battery needs replacing, then it's no longer waterproof, despite all the care taken to replace the gasket....

The altimeter is very useful for navigating, and seems to be fairly accurate. Then, of course, the overnight barometer readings are useful. I say "overnight", because a barometer is only useful when you're in one place, at one altitude (the baro change is nice to know for weather prediction).

Forty bucks, nice watch, great altimeter, alarm, waterproof, etc, etc. Way better than just the ironman (because of the altimeter/barometer). Zero need for $400 watches these days, with smart phone navigation apps (unless the $400 watch is also your smart phone, I guess) and way cheaper heart rate monitors, if you feel the need for one of those.

One feature I value for hiking/backpacking is a stopwatch, which helps me figure my pace/progress against landmarks (marked to the tenth of a mile) in the trail description.

To a lesser degree, I also like an altimeter for similar reasons - gives me an idea of how close I am to the top. Must be calibrated though - it relies on barometric pressure to estimate altitude change (thus, weather change can make even a calibrated altimeter inaccurate).

I found these in a Casio watch with fabric (not thermoplastic) band, about $40 on the Amazon. Model QW3202. I didn't get one with compass - already have an analog compass, and heard that on a watch, a compass can be a battery drain anyway.

Once, I misplaced the watch and bought a VERY cheap Casio Illuminator to replace it, feeling that I didn't really need the altimeter and barometer - a stopwatch sufficed. Well, that cheapie's stopwatch rolled over after 59 min 59s! Not very useful for hiking! Later, I found my better Casio and have been happy since.

The watch has several other features that are helpful in the non-hiking world, like world time (choose an alternate time zone), countdown timer, 5 alarms, DST, etc.

The one feature that I've found not very useful is the thermometer. It is not at all accurate if the watch is on your wrist. You would have to remove it and hang it from your pack or set it aside for 20-30 minutes before it settles down to the true ambient temperature.
    casio QW3202 watch.jpg

Cheap Walmart watch. My only criteria is that the numbers are large enough to be seen when blurry eyed in the middle of the night.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    One feature I value for hiking/backpacking is a stopwatch, which helps me figure my pace/progress against landmarks (marked to the tenth of a mile) in the trail description.

To a lesser degree, I also like an altimeter for similar reasons - gives me an idea of how close I am to the top. Must be calibrated though - it relies on barometric pressure to estimate altitude change (thus, weather change can make even a calibrated altimeter inaccurate).

I found these in a Casio watch with fabric (not thermoplastic) band, about $40 on the Amazon. Model QW3202. I didn't get one with compass - already have an analog compass, and heard that on a watch, a compass can be a battery drain anyway.

Once, I misplaced the watch and bought a VERY cheap Casio Illuminator to replace it, feeling that I didn't really need the altimeter and barometer - a stopwatch sufficed. Well, that cheapie's stopwatch rolled over after 59 min 59s! Not very useful for hiking! Later, I found my better Casio and have been happy since.

The watch has several other features that are helpful in the non-hiking world, like world time (choose an alternate time zone), countdown timer, 5 alarms, DST, etc.

The one feature that I've found not very useful is the thermometer. It is not at all accurate if the watch is on your wrist. You would have to remove it and hang it from your pack or set it aside for 20-30 minutes before it settles down to the true ambient temperature.
    Pretty much the same watch I hawked earlier. All those features are useful, and I agree, except the thermometer. I suppose if you took the watch off and set it aside, the temperature reading would be reasonable though. I find myself rarely calibrating this watch, I've kinda found a middle-ground calibration, runs a bit low in elevation on high pressure days, a bit high on low pressure days. I find it's really more useful for altitude change rather than absolute altitude. Easy to calibrate though, when you do get to a known altitude, if you care to do so. Takes 30 seconds.

Great, cheap watch. I used to own and extensively use that old Suunto Vector that was popular 10-15 years ago. This cheap-o watch seems to actually work better.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    That's the ticket. Why spend hundreds or more? When it's done, replace it. Mine last for many years. You can easily replace the band on some models, but you can replace the whole shebang for a few bucks anyhow.

El Cheapo Grande Casio de Amazon. No need for anything more. I think I paid $15 tops and we’re on season two already. Like the others have said nothing more is needed, is it? But hike your own hike (hyoh) with your own wallet (wyow)

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Until the Fitbit craze I always wore Casio G-Shock watches. Super durable except for the dang watchbands.

Anyway, today my Garmin Vivofit fell into the Wadmalaw River never to be seen or heard from again.

I'm considering purchase of a watch this time. Want something durable, digital, has a backlight. Prefer one that is KNOWN to have easily replaceable watchband.

No way would I consider spending $400 or $500 unless someone can convince me that is has a "SUPER KILLER FEATURE THAT I MUST HAVE". That's a high bar.

I'm thinking price range from $80 to about $250, roughly. Might consider a little more for good quality, features, warranty, etc.

What features should I consider for hiking/backpacking?

What watch do YOU recommend?

Thanks!

Seakayaker
    Currently I've got a Casio Waveceptor (200M illuminator) that has a metal watchband. I've had it a year, and haven't noticed any wear and tear. Its as tough as a G-shock--I'm rough on watches, and this is my second Waveceptor (the first, of course, had the watchband problem). IIRC it was less than $80. I
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I'm partial to analog watches rather than digital. I like the Timex Expedition watches with just a plain watch face and nylon straps. They also have the Indiglo feature so the light up when you push the set button. This is a useful feature when you are looking for something in your tent when its dark and you don't want to or dan't use a flashlight.

I no longer carry a watch. On the rare occasions I want to know what time it is I look at my phone. Although if I were to get a new watch, one with the altimeter function would be nice to have, except knowing how much farther you need to climb can be depressing...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Another vote for Timex Ironman! I read about it either here or on Hammock Forums.It's perfect for me because it does not do "too much" like my Casio did.I just want time,date,timer,and a back light,all in an inexpensive reliable package.Ironman Delivers and beats dealing with a phone which I may have turned off anyway.

Whatever watch you get (I have an unnecessarily costly Seiko), you could consider getting a one piece nylon band that goes under both pins. When one pin goes, the watch stays. I consult my watch often, so I get annoyed when it's not there, even if it's cheap.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++