WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Am I the jerk?

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    Funny...I was on a canoe trip with my son a few months ago when, I hear from behind me, in a heavily intoxicated voice, a man yelling for people to wait! "I want to tell you about my Lord and savior, I'm a pastor." All the while his friends were laughing at him. He didn't seem legit to me but, it sure made me chuckle.
    I wonder if he's any relation to my previous neighbor who kept introducing herself as Reverend Rose after taking Ambien.

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    I hear from behind me, in a heavily intoxicated voice, a man yelling for people to wait! "I want to tell you about my Lord ...
    Lord Calvert, perhaps?

I get it though Pony. I wouldn't want an escalating grab for my attention for a LNT Pow wow if I was stressing to pack up to beat the approaching rain. LOL. It would have been drip drip pit pat pat. I gotta go. They usually hand you a LNT card. I'd have thanked them and been on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Ha ha, I have been wondering this as well.

I know that I gave them permission to check out my camp site, but in retrospect, I think I was unclear about what they were doing. I think where it went wrong was when dude put his head into my tarp and started looking at my belongings. I thought they were just making sure I wasn't leaving trash laying around but it felt like they were inspecting my gear.
    As said they probably were inspecting. BUT I operate under the etiquette one should always ask first to look under your tarp, inside your tent, unzip a hammock fly, pick up anything, touch any of your gear, etc. And, I behave likewise.

TIP: Learn the LNT Principles. Apply them. Be conscientious of others. Good intentions shouldn't excuse questionable judgement. Feeling people out and being acutely aware of situations with greater sensitivity would have gone a long way for everyone involved.

BTW, I don't know if this applies in every state but legally an enclosed tent or hammock is a dwelling afforded the same privacy rights as those that live in houses. If one steals from inside your tent or under your tarp that can be burglary...of a dwelling.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can only imagine the uproar if the AMC sent volunteers to inspect people’s campsites.

Especially if they wore nothing to identify themselves and the organization they were representing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    As said they probably were inspecting. BUT I operate under the etiquette one should always ask first to look under your tarp, inside your tent, unzip a hammock fly, pick up anything, touch any of your gear, etc.
    If there are any law enforcement officers on this list, I bet they would tell you even guilty people consent to searches all the time—- simply because of the way they asked.

Just human nature.

It’s almost a given that.a hiker would allow two self-identified volunteers into their camp if asked, right?

The questions should not be whether the inspectors asked, though, but rather why that boundary was not respected in the first place.

Should've just said, Sorry, No, I'd love to help out but I want to get packed before the rain hits. Sorry, No is a polite and quick way out of a lot of situations.

Yeah watch out for those tech savvy organized tribe of Dolly Sod Gear bandits on the loose. Wonder if they have IR?
    Have you been there? A dismembered (IIRC) corpse was found there a few years ago and I've read multiple reports of vehicles broken into. It's one of the more sketchy places in the mid Atlantic area hike, though I've never had any problems myself.

We have different ways of agreeably describing what happened based on what was shared. Educating or teaching or simply communicating often does involve a give and take including inquiry among participants. Knowing one's audience is fundamental to communicating. How does a teacher get to know their audience unless inquiry occurs? Should that be deemed a search or interrogation? It seems like simple LNT educator inquiry that was invited.

I don't have issue with someone attempting to cordially asking questions after stating their intent or coming to my camp after they asked if it was OK and I invited them. I don't see where anyone pushed themselves on anyone given what was shared. Maybe it's the outdoors environment or culture where some feel threatened being approached? Maybe, it involves push back against the surveillance state? Maybe, interpersonal real physical person to physical person interaction is becoming a lost social skill - a reason for feeling threatened when confronted in the flesh? OR, MAYBE it's were so self absorbed, self concerned, easily offended and filled with hubris? This comes from someone who can get very uppity about protecting his privacy.

If you think this event was pushy I find leaving a pile of improperly undisposed of human excrement with a soiled TP flower at a CS behind and left over Spaghetti O's and vienna sausage cans and in fire rings and mangled foilage and human contaminated water much more pushy...in what is supposed to be Dolly Sods Wilderness. Has everyone posting been to DS WA established CS's during high use periods like fall? I have. These are just some of the things experienced that can be addressed by knowing and applying LNT ethics.
    Again, you fall back to non-existent greivances. OP didn't leave TP and "spaghetti O's". If you see someone doing something wrong, feel free to kindly point it out. If not, MYOB. This board has enough of it's own folks who like to give unsolicited advice. HYOH.

I don't think you were a "jerk," although sarcasm is never good. Sounds like they wanted to check the campsite for cleanliness, not necessarily if you were violating LNT. If you were, I'm sure they would have been polite about educating you, as the man sounded friendly and complimentary. Also, unlike what other commenters have attributed, they didn't handle your gear, they just poked in your fire ring...correct?

The AT is getting more and more crowded, and more hikers means more indifference and ignorance. Many hikers, unfortunately, have no compunction about leaving trash behind. It's good to hear there are volunteers who are spreading the gospel of LNT, which for many is the preferable alternative to government restrictions. That being said, you weren't a jerk, and the fact you posted this shows that you don't want to be one, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Images

I think by your side of the story, the one was a little overzealous about her new 'save the planet' job, which we all were in our youth. Her co-volunteer recognized your annoyance and level of experience by then and moved on. People skilz have to be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I think by your side of the story, the one was a little overzealous about her new 'save the planet' job, which we all were in our youth. Her co-volunteer recognized your annoyance and level of experience by then and moved on. People skilz have to be developed.
    As do spelling skills. (sorry, I couldn't resist)
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by feral bill View Post
    as do spelling skills. (sorry, i couldn't resist)
    :d..................!

If a couple of young guys ride up to your house on bicycles, wearing dress shirts with black ties and carrying pamphlets proclaiming some good news they'd like to share with you, and the knock on your door catches you off guard so you invite them in for a few minutes, you shouldn't be surprised if they start asking questions about your spiritual beliefs.

That being said, once you've realized your mistake, you're entitled to be as much (or as little) of a jerk as you deem necessary to put an end to it. If you're wondering if you were a jerk, it's because your conscience is telling you that you were, so you probably were. But ultimately it doesn't matter, because you're allowed to be. I'm sure your family and friends still like you haha.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    So, a couple of weeks ago, I was at Dolly Sods Wilderness. As I was breaking camp on my first morning, I noticed a couple in their early twenties approaching my campsite. I'll admit, I wasn't paying much attention, but I'm pretty sure they told me that they were volunteering for the Forest Service and they were educating hikers about Leave No Trace, though they showed me no credentials. They asked if they could check out my campsite. I said that's fine, but I'm trying to get packed up before the rain hits. So they followed me back to my campsite and started snooping around. Then they started to ask me about packing out my trash and digging cat holes. Then she asked me if I carry a shovel to bury my poop. I told her no, that I used my hiking pole. By this time, I am thoroughly annoyed, so I asked her if she was the poop police. Failing to grasp my sarcasm, she then explains, again, that she is volunteering to spread the word about LNT. At this point I was pissed so I stopped packing and just stared at them. The guy then commented that he liked my tarp set up, dug around in my fire pit with a stick, told me that my campsite was exceptionally clean, and proclaimed that I appeared to know what I was doing. Apparently my demeanor caused them to move on and they then found a group of five or six hikers that they talked to for over twenty minutes.

So, did they overstep their bounds, or am I the jerk for getting annoyed by this?

Several years ago, I had a similar experience in New Hampshire. A young woman was trying to educate us (my wife and I) on everything in the vicinity of her tenting area. She drove us nuts. I think it goes back to the old idea that, "it's not what you say but how you say it."

The content of her comments were quite reasonable but the way she delivered them made us feel that we were being scolded every time she opened her mouth. We couldn't pack up soon enough the following morning.

They asked...you consented. We, as individuals, choose how we react.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

All he had to do was say “No”. If he is irritated, he should be irritated at himself for saying “Yes”.

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    If a couple of young guys ride up to your house on bicycles, wearing dress shirts with black ties and carrying pamphlets proclaiming some good news they'd like to share with you, and the knock on your door catches you off guard so you invite them in for a few minutes, you shouldn't be surprised if they start asking questions about your spiritual beliefs.

That being said, once you've realized your mistake, you're entitled to be as much (or as little) of a jerk as you deem necessary to put an end to it. If you're wondering if you were a jerk, it's because your conscience is telling you that you were, so you probably were. But ultimately it doesn't matter, because you're allowed to be. I'm sure your family and friends still like you haha.
    That's the post that hits the nail on the head IMO.

Having not even been packed up and had two individuals regardless of age/physical ability want to invite themselves into what I've deemed my personal space is a no go from the beginning. But my personal safety radar is turned up to 11 when I'm out on the trail as is everyone's that I encounter. Being a large framed male leads to many hi-and-bye interactions with single traveling individuals, whereas groups of two or more will be significantly more willing to chat for a few seconds with me. Human nature, interestingly keeping self preservation a high priority.

A time and place for everything, even being a jerk. Don't sweat it.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post

Hey,I know those guys!My brother and I rode all night on a commercial overseas flight with them and they never shut up.Apparently,they get around.......

It's obvious OP was taken off guard by the initial request.I'm glad this incident was shared on WB so anyone else will be ready if queried by the trash and poop police.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    They asked...you consented. We, as individuals, choose how we react.
    Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    All he had to do was say “No”. If he is irritated, he should be irritated at himself for saying “Yes”.
    Well, I think the OP explained that he was caught off guard and that his initial response was just being considerate to what initially seemed like just some folks trying to help - in what way, he could not exactly be sure. IMO, they were then inconsiderate, and probably unknowingly so but still. In hindsight, they would show more tact, and OP would show more patience. He need not be irritated at himself.

And if we're going to hold a line on "they asked, you consented", then I'm saying No to everything.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++