WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mlk vii

AT 2012

so, with snow forecast for Sunday, not sure that the Inn brunch will be that crowded...anyway, I just bumped our reservation to ten. That should get us a big enough table to crowd in more, or sit a few less...

AND, with snow predicted Saturday night and Sunday, with temps well above zero, I am hoping it makes this trip more of an attractive adventure than not. I am definitely planning on staying out Saturday and Sunday night, so I can avoid snowstorm driving on Sunday. I might even throw my snow shoes in the back of the car just in case...

This may be the MLK winter condition trip we have long been dreaming of...
    Lazarus

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    We have discussed the impending storm for Saturday. The forecast is 'Heavy snow', we aren't worried about the camping and hiking part.....but the roads in harriman Park will be the last plowed. So we will keep and eye on the storm and we will make THE prudent decision with enough time for folks to adjust.
    hey Coach -- do you want to adjust our campsite choice to make parking easier, or is it already a good location? I definitely think the two night out solution makes the most sense for anyone who can plan that. It would be a waste to miss the snow...
    Lazarus

Arriving Friday noonish. I’ll try to bring extra snow . But no promises .

thom

Images

Big Hill Shelter is within 2 miles (less) of 2 road side lots. One north on a Suffern/Bear Mtn. Trail, and one east on the Long Path. Skannatatti Lake Lot is not quite 3 miles west on the Long Path. Again, I'm not so concerned for us IN the park......it's getting to the Inn Sunday morning and out of the area afterwards. We will know for sure(kinda) by Wednesday/Thursday.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Arriving Friday noonish. I’ll try to bring extra snow . But no promises .

thom
    Sure storms no biggy for you! I googled your Hometown!!!!

AT 2012

Big Hill Shelter is within 2 miles (less) of 2 road side lots. One north on a Suffern/Bear Mtn. Trail, and one east on the Long Path. Skannatatti Lake Lot is not quite 3 miles west on the Long Path. Again, I'm not so concerned for us IN the park......it's getting to the Inn Sunday morning and out of the area afterwards. We will know for sure(kinda) by Wednesday/Thursday.
    who sez "no snivelling?"
    Lazarus

Not looking good for Gumball and me. The last I read was 3" Saturday and 5" Sunday? If that forecast holds, we'll be taking a pass.....again
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

AT 2012

maybe a bit early to call the game... but it is starting to look like Friday night is our only good time out. Would anyone else (yes, Cheyou -- I see you will be there!) be interested in meeting at the Big Hill Shelter Friday afternoon or evening, doing some hiking on Saturday, and calling it quits Saturday afternoon? Starting to look like Sunday brunch is, well, maybe next year...

I did look at meeting up further north to avoid rain, but even into MASS they are predicting a wet wintry mix/rain on Sunday morning, with -4 Sunday night. wow.

comments?
    Lazarus

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I'd like to point out that, in this one case, I've learned a lesson: WE NEED TO MAKE BRUNCH RESERVATIONS FOR SUNDAY THE 20TH IF WE EXPECT TO GET IN. THE RESERVATION SHOULD BE FOR 11AM. WE NEED A COUNT PRETTY MUCH NOW!!!

1AZARUS - I'M IN. THAT'S 1.
    OUCH - I'm late answering. Cathy and I are in!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    OUCH - I'm late answering. Cathy and I are in!
    But not if you're calling the game! (Still, she and I have camped in snow before.)
    Can't make it Friday night, sorry! Will monitor this thread and the one in the other place.

Images

HB and I have discussed moving it to 8,9,10 Feb, but let's wait and see. I won't be able to be there until Friday afternoon anyway.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

HB and I have discussed moving it to 8,9,10 Feb, but let's wait and see. I won't be able to be there until Friday afternoon anyway.
    OK, shoot me an email or PM if we're taking a wave-off.

I’ll go with whatever works best for all.

Thom

Images

I’ll go with whatever works best for all.

Thom
    Aren't you coming in from waaaaaaaaaaay upstate?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm holding back on making the call. Looks as if Saturday night/Sunday might get bad enough for getting home to be a real problem. Tomorrow the forecast should be a little less ambiguous.

Also, I haven't been hiking near enough. A blizzard isn't the right time to get back into things when you're horribly out of shape.

Unfortunately the current forecast is worst-case, going from heavy-ish snow Saturday afternoon over to heavy (freezing!) rain Sunday. The technical term for that is 'icky'...

I'd be for a re-sked Feb if that forecast holds, as it seems to be firming up.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-16-2019 at 12:32.

Yes I live St Lawrence river area Not upstate Northern NY . Looks like bad weather to drive for me

thom

Yes I live St Lawrence river area Not upstate Northern NY . Looks like bad weather to drive for me

thom
    Yeah, I hear ya... I didn't see the "freezing" rain before, and that is the nastiest stuff imaginable to drive in.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya... I didn't see the "freezing" rain before, and that is the nastiest stuff imaginable to drive in.
    It's one thing to be caught by epic weather - and that's happened on a couple of MLK trips.

Going into it deliberately when it's forecast is another matter entirely. I didn't live long enough to be one of the Gaggle of Geriatric Gypsies by doing things like that. I'd probably be seriously hurt if I took a fall like the one Malto had on Pyngyp! (Of course, that's why I bring traction gear...)

The 8-10th isn't great for me. Cathy's b'day is the 8th, plus I see the eye surgeon on the 8th, and I'm always shot for the day when he examines me. He has to anaesthetize the eyeballs to do the exam. I might be able to show up for the 9-10th, but I'm pretty sure Cathy won't. She has a 3-day weekend the 16-18th, though. Still, don't let us throw a wrench in the plans. We'll be there or we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    It's one thing to be caught by epic weather - and that's happened on a couple of MLK trips.

Going into it deliberately when it's forecast is another matter entirely. I didn't live long enough to be one of the Gaggle of Geriatric Gypsies by doing things like that. I'd probably be seriously hurt if I took a fall like the one Malto had on Pyngyp! (Of course, that's why I bring traction gear...)

The 8-10th isn't great for me. Cathy's b'day is the 8th, plus I see the eye surgeon on the 8th, and I'm always shot for the day when he examines me. He has to anaesthetize the eyeballs to do the exam. I might be able to show up for the 9-10th, but I'm pretty sure Cathy won't. She has a 3-day weekend the 16-18th, though. Still, don't let us throw a wrench in the plans. We'll be there or we won't.
    I'd be up for the 9th/10th no problem. Didn't have birthday plans anyway!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++