WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    From the descent off Mooselauke to, probably, the ascent to the Height of the Land in Rangely is some of the toughest hiking on the AT. It has the 4/5 of the steepest one and two mile sections of the trail according to Guthook. The descent down Moose, the ascent up South twin, the ascent up Garfield, the ascent up the Wildcats. From Zealand hut to Crawford Notch is a nice hike. Pretty area.

The section between Gorham and Gentian pond is pretty nice. After that pray for good weather. I had Hurricane Harvey and it's aftermath to deal with until I got to Rt 26 so that added a day to that section.
    i've heard otherwise from so many people so many times that i've almost convinced myself i'm delusional or something, but i'm still hanging on to the idea that grafton notch to rangely is actually substantially easier than rangely to east flagstaff rd. the treadway may not be as difficult but the amount of times descent inverts upon ascent and back again (and many thousand feet each time) killed me.

frankly the mahoosucs from rt 2 until just a bit before carlo col are easier too i think, in some sense. again, treadway is more difficult but you aren't climbing uphill steadily for 3 miles to just go straight back down the other side and back up again.

Grafton notch to Rangeley isn't too bad. Excpet for the climb up Baldpate, and the little bump called Moody mountain and the climb up Mt Blue. But other then that, yea easy pezzy. I really like the Bemis range once you get up on to it. ME17 the rest of the way to Rangeley is the easy bit.

It's not until you get past the Bigelow's that Maine gets easy. Saddleback and the Crocker's are pretty tough.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    17 as an average from hanover to lincoln seems fine with me, though the "i'm only willing to tent" angle complicates things (ive forgotten that a couple times when i've chimed in). for reference, kinsman notch to franconia notch is about 17 miles and ive done in a day with no problem.

franconia to gorham his proposing an average of 12.5 MPD, thats perhaps a little light. some days will be that short, but others can go longer.

again, the inflexibility on where to camp is a mokey wrench though. but as far as covering the terrain its possible.
    tdoczi let me clarify the only willing to tent. I will not pay to hop from hut to hut every night. I will stay at shelters, or tentsites. I would prefer to sleep in my tent every night, but if logistically a shelter space is the only space, I am not above it, I just really prefer my tent. I am open to spending 1 night in a hut and figured from others comments that Lake of the clouds hut is the hut you wanna pick logistically.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    tdoczi let me clarify the only willing to tent. I will not pay to hop from hut to hut every night. I will stay at shelters, or tentsites. I would prefer to sleep in my tent every night, but if logistically a shelter space is the only space, I am not above it, I just really prefer my tent. I am open to spending 1 night in a hut and figured from others comments that Lake of the clouds hut is the hut you wanna pick logistically.
    well i dont think theres any shelters you can't tent at so thats sort of moot. well, maybe the perch and those places.

lakes definitely makes things easier. so would carter notch or at least joe dodge lodge/ getting off trail for the night at pinkham.

the other big hurdle is crawford notch. ive often wondered but dont think i've ever seen an answer- is it legal to tent anywhere within a mile or two of either side of 302?

the other big hurdle is crawford notch. ive often wondered but dont think i've ever seen an answer- is it legal to tent anywhere within a mile or two of either side of 302?
    Well yea, Ethan pond. It's an easy 2.5 miles to the road. The only easy bit on this whole trip. A big chunk of that 2.5 miles is tacking across a giant rock slide overlooking a ravine and the notch. Once you cross the road you start climbing pretty much right away. Plus the whole area is state park with no camping allowed.

You can tent at The Perch, there are 4 platforms and a shelter. If you tent at the Perch, I helped build those platforms Problem is, it's a very popular place and will fill up early in the afternoon with people hiking up from the valley, especially weekends.

Staying at Lakes is pretty much a given. I managed the perch to Neuman in one day, but I had a 10 pound pack and it was around the summer solace with perfect weather and had just came back from doing 300 miles of Virginia. Even so, almost didn't make it before dark.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well yea, Ethan pond. It's an easy 2.5 miles to the road. The only easy bit on this whole trip. A big chunk of that 2.5 miles is tacking across a giant rock slide overlooking a ravine and the notch. Once you cross the road you start climbing pretty much right away. Plus the whole area is state park with no camping allowed.

You can tent at The Perch, there are 4 platforms and a shelter. If you tent at the Perch, I helped build those platforms Problem is, it's a very popular place and will fill up early in the afternoon with people hiking up from the valley, especially weekends.

Staying at Lakes is pretty much a given. I managed the perch to Neuman in one day, but I had a 10 pound pack and it was around the summer solace with perfect weather and had just came back from doing 300 miles of Virginia. Even so, almost didn't make it before dark.
    i just dont know how hard ethan pond to lakes would be. ive done crawford notch to lakes and it was one of those weird white mountain hikes where even though a good part of it (ie once youre on the ridgeline) doesnt seem particularly hard it somehow seems to take forever anyway. and that was in absolute stellar weather. ethan pond to neuman seems like a waste of a day to me, especially if you are going to stay at lakes.

as silly as it might seem to think an easy extra 2.5 miles is a deal breaker it might be. i think i'd try and find myself some way to stay in crawford notch. get up to the highland center somehow or isnt there a developed commercial campground and a motel south of the AT crossing a few miles?

Yes there are two developed campgrounds south of the AT crossing at Crawford Notch. The state of NH owned Dry River Campground is about 1.6 miles. It has showers but no store. There is commercial campground with a very basic store/snackbar about 3 miles south. The state facility is far nicer. There is also the Willey House historic site about a mile north. It has a snack bar and ice cream. Good place to hitch as it has lots of tourists stop there. Plenty of places to camp in the woods down near the highway. Its open hardwoods on both sides. Just no facilities.

Keep in mind if you go to Highland center, you want to stay in the Shapleigh, its lower cost but has access to all the facilities. The complaint I have heard from folks is the AYCE breakfast starts too late in the AM for hiker to be able to use it unless they are zeroing or just running a short hike like Crawford to Nauman tentsite (next to Mitzpah hut).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Yes there are two developed campgrounds south of the AT crossing at Crawford Notch. The state of NH owned Dry River Campground is about 1.6 miles. It has showers but no store. There is commercial campground with a very basic store/snackbar about 3 miles south. The state facility is far nicer. There is also the Willey House historic site about a mile north. It has a snack bar and ice cream. Good place to hitch as it has lots of tourists stop there. Plenty of places to camp in the woods down near the highway. Its open hardwoods on both sides. Just no facilities.
    i dont think of you as one to recommend illegal campsites so i assume those are legal? the ones you describe as "in the woods down near the highway?"

if so i think i'd go for that were i just hiking through. that or the dry river campground, assuming the walk down to it isnt terrible.

Technically, it's illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of the road, which probably puts you where the trail starts climbing. But if you want to camp that close to the road, go ahead.

Going down to the campground really doesn't save you much vs staying at Ethan.

Breaking up that section to get to lakes without staying at Neuman is tough. Ethan to Neuman might look short, but the climb up Webster Cliffs is a grunt (and scary in places), but once on top of Jackson, not so bad the rest of the way. At that point in the trip, you'd probably appreciate a "short" day anyway.

Images

if you find a ride back to the trail in the morning it does.

its been a long time and my memory is fuzzy but as your hiking NOBO after you cross the road dont you walk through an open field for what must be more than 1/4 mile before you get to anything like a climb?

Images

Technically, it's illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of the road, which probably puts you where the trail starts climbing. But if you want to camp that close to the road, go ahead.

Breaking up that section to get to lakes without staying at Neuman is tough. Ethan to Neuman might look short, but the climb up Webster Cliffs is a grunt (and scary in places), but once on top of Jackson, not so bad the rest of the way. At that point in the trip, you'd probably appreciate a "short" day anyway.
    oh and as far as the short day thing... ok now youre at neuman, and then you do what the next day? lakes? too short again, now youve made 1 day hike into a 2 day hike.

madison is probably doable but a haul. the perch is off trail a bit.

if it can be done camping in the notch is the way to do it.

I don't know, camping at the notch doesn't look promising with Google Earth. A short distance from the road you cross the river and then start climbing right away. Maybe near the parking lot just off the road walk. It's a steady, but reasonably gentile down hill on the west side until just before the parking lot.

I'd have to take a ride down there to check it out and refresh my memory. That is, once all the snow melts and I find a nice day.

You know you are right the 1/4 mile rule pretty well cut out the actual notch. The legal option would be between the intersection of the Willey trail and where it drops down towards Ripley Falls. Somewhere upslope of the Flume trail. The Wilderness area boundary stops just after Ethan Pond so from there someone could camp on the trail. as long as they stay 1/4 of mile from a highway which doesn't happen until it tuns steep downhill.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Just end in Gorham. Southern Maine is like one of those Saw movies. Finish this trip on a high note in the lovely Whites and tackle psychotic Maine on its own.

Journal Entries
    Images

The Wilderness area boundary stops just after Ethan Pond so from there someone could camp on the trail. as long as they stay 1/4 of mile from a highway which doesn't happen until it tuns steep downhill.
    State Park regs?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    State Park regs?
    i see theres a trail from the AT to the dry river campground? whats that trail like? 2.5 miles versus 1.6 miles might seem like not a big difference but ethan pond is a lot higher than the notch so that extra mile is all steep downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Been thinking about this thread some more...

Are my 2 options thru the whites to either shuck out big bucks every night and stay in the hut or to take a big elevation hit to go off trail to campsites?

Is there not tenting options along the AT through here due to terrain?

One can organize their days to not always take that big a elev hit by camping at the routes low elev profile pts or where legally, camp high.

Good tip you received organizing your trip using a hang as shelter. +1 Makes it much easier with some forethought to find camping spots. You will not continually be above treeline. When I first saw a hanger carrying a hammock I knee jerk thought he was crazy until I spent some poor nights with rocks in my back, more $$, and being among the other smelly tin packed sardines.

You have your getting to the trail and out logistically nicely laid out. FWIW, I've taken Amtrak into and from White River Junction in VT transferring to a NH Bus to Hanover which provided stops at greater access to resupply and outfitters. It's a short bus ride. WRJ/White river is on the NH/VT border. The bus into Hanover is fine though too. The Amtrak Vermonter has many connections to a wider number of AP's than Logan. You can go all the way to Wash DC. I used it when living in southern NJ. This was awhile ago though. Jus offering if you want an option to $ compare.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    State Park regs?
    I don't see any state specific regulations listed for Crawford Notch State Park with respect to camping. My experience several years ago with undeveloped state park lands in other parts of the state was that dispersed camping was allowed unless specific noticed. Camp fires on the other hand were not. Given that Crawford Notch State Park is entirely within the declaration boundary of the WMNF. It would be interesting to see if the WMNF 1/4 mile from roads rule would apply as the land is actually owned byt . I am unsure if I have seen the typical WMNF RUA sign on trails in Crawford Notch State Park although its not something I actively look for. I have see RUA signs on Old Bridal Path at the boundary between Franconia State Park and WMNF. I expect the state has rule somewhere they can use if it becomes and issue.

i see theres a trail from the AT to the dry river campground? whats that trail like? 2.5 miles versus 1.6 miles might seem like not a big difference but ethan pond is a lot higher than the notch so that extra mile is all steep downhill.
    I have not hiked it but expect it just roughly parallels the highway. That stretch of woods has had some serious flooding events in the last few years so I don't know the current status
    https://www.nhstateparks.org/getmedi...Hiking-Map.pdf

Yes Ethan Pond is on a relatively flat bench. The AT runs east a short distance and intersects the Willey Range Trail (which is a steep climb including several ladders) and it then runs south along a fairly flat slope. Once it hits the edge of the Ripley Falls drainage it turns east again goes directly down slope on a combination of rock steps water bars and eroded trench.

AMC had proposed building a full service Hut in the area north of the AT pushed up against the WMNF boundary and right at the top of the slope above Ripley Falls. They had the cash and plans in hands and it looked to be an easy build on state land but local ice climbers and folks who had no love for AMC started a petition and the project got canceled.

Images

I have not hiked it but expect it just roughly parallels the highway. That stretch of woods has had some serious flooding events in the last few years so I don't know the current status
    https://www.nhstateparks.org/getmedi...Hiking-Map.pdf

Yes Ethan Pond is on a relatively flat bench. The AT runs east a short distance and intersects the Willey Range Trail (which is a steep climb including several ladders) and it then runs south along a fairly flat slope. Once it hits the edge of the Ripley Falls drainage it turns east again goes directly down slope on a combination of rock steps water bars and eroded trench.

AMC had proposed building a full service Hut in the area north of the AT pushed up against the WMNF boundary and right at the top of the slope above Ripley Falls. They had the cash and plans in hands and it looked to be an easy build on state land but local ice climbers and folks who had no love for AMC started a petition and the project got canceled.
    i was wondering what happened with that. seemed sort of unnecessary to me and for purposes of this discussion wouldnt really help what i'm thinking (starting a day with the climb of webster cliff rather than the descent from the other side of the notch followed by the climb)

my sense (grounded in nothing much concrete at all) is that the trail to campground is probably a very easy walk. i guess the other question would be how difficult getting a site as a walk in an hour before sundown would be.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++