WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Looks like a nice stretch of weather after today (assuming a hurricane doesn't drift west).

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Day 5. Over Moosilauke. Did it in 5 hours. Strong wind and rain on top, tstorm hit us on the way down. It was very sketchy. I wouldn't wish the north side of Moosilauke on my worst enemy.

Tomorrow we slack over the kinsman's. I know its gunna be a long day.
    That's not even the worst you are going to hike compared to what's coming up. You are going to have so much fun!

Apparently my gf and we're a few hours behind you. You may have passed us on Saturday camped on a little island in a stream just outside Hanover.

Day 5. Over Moosilauke. Did it in 5 hours. Strong wind and rain on top, tstorm hit us on the way down. It was very sketchy. I wouldn't wish the north side of Moosilauke on my worst enemy.

Rain makes a big difference, especially if going NoBo.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Ya should have listened to me Once this front pushes through it will get real nippy - into the 30's at night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Kinsmans done. Did wolf and kinsmans 17 miles in 11 hours. Pretty beat. Short day tomorrow up franconia notch
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Kinsmans done. Did wolf and kinsmans 17 miles in 11 hours. Pretty beat. Short day tomorrow up franconia notch
    Nice day for it though. Wish I had been up there.

Snow in the forecast for Washington on Sunday

As of yesterday my hike is over. I am back in Cookeville, TN after about 70 miles in 6 days. The two main contributing factors were 1 listening to my body before I pushed myself too far. And second is my anxiety. My anxiety was so bad on this trip it finally took a toll on my brain and I couldn't keep waking up dry heaving and throwing up and dealing with the mental game my brain goes thru on these trips. I have some work to do to try and resolve this.

Overall I would say the trip was a success, not the original plan of 2 weeks but then again, how often does the original plan stick? Not very often in my world lol I got a good taste of the whites, some 4k footers, some awesome and not so awesome weather, I can say that I have ascended Moosilauke in a thunderstorm, and my biggest day in the Whites is 17 miles. I met some very nice folks and enjoyed my time when the anxiety would let me. Thank you to everyone who helped me prepare for this trip. I will add a thread detailing my trip but here are a couple!

0B486DD1-85A8-4699-B497-E6328257F779.jpeg

44DC3824-A628-45F0-88B0-8F4F105A3A01.jpeg

Where did you finish up? Crawford Notch? That's as good a start/stop point as any.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Where did you finish up? Crawford Notch? That's as good a start/stop point as any.
    Franconia Notch

Franconia Notch
    You got a good taste of the Whites. But the fun really starts on the Franconia/Garfield ridge. It's too bad the weather suddenly turned sour and it looks to stay unsettled for at least most of this coming week.

While this can be the best time to hike around here, it can also be the worst time. I'm keeping an eye out for a decent 3-4 day window before the end of the month to do my fall hike.

I got back from my Hanover to Rattle River Hostel section hike last Tuesday. Great hike, tremendous views, lots of rock climbing and boulder hopping, and some STEEP ups and down. Going over Kinsman 13 miles was probably the toughest day. Had fabulous weather 12 of the 14 days--had rain on days 2 (18 miles) and 14 (15 miles). Big thanks to Peakbagger and Slo-go'en for their advice and guidance in making plans. 298 miles left to Katahdin.

Franconia Notch
    Franconia Notch to Crawford arguably has the best views along the AT. The Pemi Wilderness shouldn't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Franconia Notch to Crawford arguably has the best views along the AT. The Pemi Wilderness shouldn't be missed.
    Provided you have a nice day. Not today for sure.

Sunny here on the coast

I know i was right at the gems of the Appalachian Trail. But I cant explain how much my anxiety consumes me on the trail, it always has but this trip with the added difficulty, it absolutely consumed me. I will be back but I have to fix this brain thing first

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

As of yesterday my hike is over. I am back in Cookeville, TN after about 70 miles in 6 days. The two main contributing factors were 1 listening to my body before I pushed myself too far. And second is my anxiety. My anxiety was so bad on this trip it finally took a toll on my brain and I couldn't keep waking up dry heaving and throwing up and dealing with the mental game my brain goes thru on these trips. I have some work to do to try and resolve this.

Overall I would say the trip was a success, not the original plan of 2 weeks but then again, how often does the original plan stick? Not very often in my world lol I got a good taste of the whites, some 4k footers, some awesome and not so awesome weather, I can say that I have ascended Moosilauke in a thunderstorm, and my biggest day in the Whites is 17 miles. I met some very nice folks and enjoyed my time when the anxiety would let me. Thank you to everyone who helped me prepare for this trip. I will add a thread detailing my trip but here are a couple!
    Sorry to hear that anxiety derailed your trip (I have some experience with this myself). But hey man, look at the bright side at least you knocked out another 70 miles in your quest to finish.

One thing I might suggest is that you rethink your whole strategy for your travel/hike itinerary for each trip, and maybe work in a little down time. I've read all your posts over the years and you are packing a lot of travel/hiking into a small window of time on these trips.

That's one thing I did in the latter half of my completion via sections. I used to have everything planned almost to the minute in the earlier sections, and then I started adding in 1 - 3 days of "float" time in the latter sections. These were days where if I needed a zero, something went wrong during the travel or whatever else came up it left me time to still complete the mileage I had planned.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++