WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need fabric advice, something strong, waterproof and lightweight

Hello everyone, it’s my first time on here so be gentle with me. I come seeking the wisdom of those more experienced than myself.

This winter I am hoping to make a gear sling/sit hammock that can also be worn as a rain skirt. I’m still in the early stages of planning so I’m open to ideas. But specifically does anyone have a suggestion for a good fabric to use? It would need to be able to be strong enough to be used as a sit hammock to support ~200lbs, waterproof enough to be used as rain gear, preferably breathable, and obviously lightweight.

When you figure out what you need, you can find what you need here:
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com

Good luck!
    Wayne

Breathable really limits the fabric choices to Gortex or something similar. Rain skirts are usually made of Sil-nylon. It's more important to be waterproof then breathable. I haven't had good luck with Sil-nylon skirts, it helps but tends to bleed through where the knees press against the material.

I've often thought that Tyvak would make a good skirt. And it is a little breathable. Its probably strong enough to make a sitting hammock out of. If you have a way to sew strong seams to thread the rope though. But you'd need to be able to do that regardless of material.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I looked around on the ripstop website and I sent them an email to see what they would suggest.

When you say tyvek do you mean the standard house wrap? It’s like a woven polypropylene tarp. I have worked with that stuff often building houses and it gets degraded by sunlight rather quickly. Or is there a different tyvek that people always reference for backpacking gear?

Tyvek isn't totally waterproof. Also as stated above, breathability is less of a priority in a rain skirt. You could probably try a totally unbreathable fabric for an initial test, then proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger.Snap View Post
    I looked around on the ripstop website and I sent them an email to see what they would suggest.
    When you say tyvek do you mean the standard house wrap? It’s like a woven polypropylene tarp. I have worked with that stuff often building houses and it gets degraded by sunlight rather quickly. Or is there a different tyvek that people always reference for backpacking gear?
    Yes, the house wrap stuff. Mostly it's used as tent footprint/ground cloth so it doesn't see much sun. It's not like it's on the side of a house getting 12-14 hours of sun everyday. Same would be true of a rain skirt (the suns not out when it's raining).
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Need fabric advice, something strong, waterproof and lightweight

you could contact Dutchware about his xenon sil fabric. It is pretty cheap, so a good material to experiment with.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I already contacted Dutch and he recommended a silnylon that they use for a similar application.

RSBTR however recommended this
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...ant=7580593409

They put a waterproof coating on a Hexon ripstop fabric. I’m leaning toward the hexon as i think it’s a slightly heavier weight fabric so for my first time it would probably be easier to work with.

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++