WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Dec hike

Default Dec hike

Hi I'm planning a Dec hike from Sams Gap NC to the I40 crossing in Tn. Has anyone experienced a Dec hike in that are? Any weather, hostels that stay open year round or any general knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is a hostel AT sams Gap - not sure if they are open year round..

Laughing heart in Hot springs is open Year round and has always been empty when I go to HS in January.

Weather I would be aware of would be coming over Max Patch and SnowBird Mountain and not camping in those locations due to possibility of snow/ winter storms
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks Gambit,

Natures Inn Hostel? That's where I plan to leave my vehicle if they are open..

Leonidas

Nature's Inn and Mother Marian's are at/near Sam's Gap.
    Hot Springs you have: Elmer's Sunnybank, Laughing Heart and the Spring Creek Tavern rents rooms as well.
    On the I-40 end you have Standing Bear.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'm not aware of any hostel at Sams Gap, and none is listed in the AT Guide.

There is a hostel at mile 289.7, Hemlock Hollow Inn, that is listed as open year round.

Hot Springs has a couple of options. I enjoyed Laughing Heart when I stayed there in 2016.

Standing Bear is right at I-40, so probably not much use. The 2017 AT Guide says open year round.

I would recommend picking up a guidebook. The AT Guide lists nearly everything you need to know about a section.

Weather wise, I would be prepared for almost any weather for a section that long. Below freezing, rain, snow, ice.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Nature's Inn and Mother Marian's are at/near Sam's Gap.
    Are those new? I don't see them in the 2017 Guide.

When in December will have an impact on the weather. The later in the month you go, the greater the chance of encountering a winter storm. It's really hard to predict what you'll have until you get to within a week or so of the trip, then plan accordingly. If they forecast nice sunny weather, pack for a blizzard
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You will need to check the weather a few days out. We have anything from 20* with a blizzard to mid-50s & sunny with an overnight low around 30. This far out it is a crap shoot to predict.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Thanks for the input

I've got my winter setup and have hiked in winter conditions so that's not an issue (until it is an issue) My time frame is 20-27 Dec. I imagine the trail traffic is scarce that time of year.

Leonidas

Nature's Inn is incorrectly listed as Spivey Gap in the 2018 guide, not sure on the 2017. Marion's is new as it wasn't there when I was planning in 2017. I show both as Sam's in Guthook.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++