WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Hostel and shuttle recommended from Amicalola to Woody or Neel Gap

Planning a 3 day hike with 2 resting days this month (Nov.). Drive up on a Friday (9 hr drive), start the hike Saturday morning ish and end it on a Monday evening. Leave/Drive back on a Tuesday.

What hostel do you recommend to stay at Friday night/Saturday morning and Monday night? If the hostel did not have a shuttle service, I was planning to reach out to Ron (I've heard good things about him).

Parking on site would be helpful.

I really don't want to stay at the "The Lodge"

Thank you for your suggestions...

It seems to me that I read somewhere that one of the favorites in that area closed, that being the Hiker Hostel. It's been about five years since I hiked that area so I don't know about any under the radar places but here is what's listed for hostels and shuttles for the entire trail:
    Hostels and Lodgings: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-hostels.php
    Shuttle Providers: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php
    Also, I agree with your choice of Ron Brown for your shuttles. I (and most everyone else on here) highly recommend him. Great guy in general and very dependable.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Call Ron Brown to shuttle for sure.

The Hiker Hostel did get sold and is now (or was last I checked) way more expensive and not catered to hikers nearly as much.

There are hostels at Neel and Woody Gap. Both are decent.

It costs to park at Amicalola Falls State Park, should be $5 for less than a week. You cannot park at Neel Gap, but there is a parking lot down the hill where you can park. Woody has a decent parking lot.

Personally I would park at the lot down the hill from Neel Gap (Byron Reese Trailhead) and stay at Mountain Crossings hostel, shuttle back to Amicalola with Ron, and then hike back to Neel and you car.

Call Ron brown
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Why not stay at the Lodge? It's no more expensive then a motel room in Dahlonega and your right where you want to be in the morning. Plus you get a decent free breakfast. If you want to save money and stay at the Mountain crossings hostel, better call them first. You may have to show up before the store closes.

With the shorter hours of daylight, going from Amicalola to Neel gap in 3 days might be a bit of a push. Woody Gap is more likely.

If left home really, really early you could possibly drive up to the parking lot at FS42 and hike over to the Springer Mountain shelter that day.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Mate- not exactly true. Stayed twice since new management took over. They call it Hiker Hostel at Barefoot Hills Hotel now. So by name, you can probably guess there is still a hostel onsite but now also a more regular hotel too. I heard they own another hostel closer to town now too but dont know.

The still do shuttles in Josh's old van and $25 bunks in a new hostel setup which I didn't think was too much. Still seem focused on us lowly hikers from what I saw but u r right cabins and main house are more- mostly on weekends though. M-F week still seems about what Josh charged. House layout completely changed. They put money into the place defintely and it now has a bare and restaurant so it gets people up from the city too. Was told now an investor type in Atlanta who I didn't meet owns it now but new manager is named Justin. Very knowledgeable local fella. They seem to be doing right- both times there place was loaded up.

Change is the only constant. Not what it was but still relaxed family feel. I think it has made the place lots more fun, or maybe thats just the alcohol. Anyway, there you go.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Call Ron Brown to shuttle for sure.

The Hiker Hostel did get sold and is now (or was last I checked) way more expensive and not catered to hikers nearly as much.

There are hostels at Neel and Woody Gap. Both are decent.

It costs to park at Amicalola Falls State Park, should be $5 for less than a week. You cannot park at Neel Gap, but there is a parking lot down the hill where you can park. Woody has a decent parking lot.

Personally I would park at the lot down the hill from Neel Gap (Byron Reese Trailhead) and stay at Mountain Crossings hostel, shuttle back to Amicalola with Ron, and then hike back to Neel and you car.

ron brown X3

Journal Entries

Also plenty hotels in gainesville.
    I like to eat decent couple meals before starting hike.

mountain crossings can give you list of shuttlers
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-08-2018 at 18:24.

Thank you for all the suggestion and info...

We find a sweet deal in Canton, Ga. and we have a parking spot at the lodge. At the moment I am waiting for Ron to respond back.

Any suggestions or recommendations for that short hike?

Ron was fantastic and very knowledgeable. I will use him again if I'm in the area again.

It was a beautiful hike and the skies were clear. Meteor showers that weekend were amazing. Temps were fantastic. No accident or injures and that was a blessing. Pictures to come soon...

++ New Posts ++