WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does an esbit tray save fuel ?

Like a BGET tray. UST fuel cubes are $ 2.50 at local store. I made a tray to fit that size. I place the tray on a Zelph stove using Zelph cone and 750 pot with ridge. I looks like they burn slower more controlled . Does a tray offer any fuel savings ?

thom

By tray, do you mean like a cup that encloses the cube? Or just a flat piece of metal you place the cube on?

I would guess that a cube mostly enclosed by a holder has less surface area exposed, so it only burns from the top. An unenclosed one could burn on all sides, accelerating the burn, which would also be hotter due to the additional flame. So that maybe a factor in how long it takes to boil 2 cups of water.

Since it's impossible to put one of these out once lit, any fuel savings would be if you can use half a cube vs a full one to do what you need to do. The only way to find out is to do some experiments.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Since it's impossible to put one of these out once lit, any fuel savings would be if you can use half a cube vs a full one to do what you need to do. The only way to find out is to do some experiments.
    Why can't you put them out? Other comments about them in the past certainly indicated that people were saving unused fuel and lighting it again later.

Images

The UST are flat so if the tray is made so that it's twice as deep as the fuel tab is high, it may slow the burn rate down to increase burn time to insure a boil (2 cup) is achieved. The design of a tray can save fuel. I have read numerous times that some people can't get their water(2cups) to boil with one 14 gram Esbit cube. Lots of factors get into play as we know when it comes to getting a stove to boil. One of the best helps is to use a windscreen of some type. The windscreen helps keep the flames centered around the bottom of the pot. It's ok that some flame goes up the sides of the pot. Those flames on the sides still heat the pot/water. The sides of a pot are always absorbing heat up until the water boils.

Read about the stove that heats only the sides of the pot. Doohdah-Man-Special , also known as the Ring Of Fire stove. Stove was made back in the year 2007.

The ring of fire is my wife's favorite stove. Very stable, sits flat on the ground.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...ah-Man-Special
    Last edited by zelph; 11-09-2018 at 11:43.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Why can't you put them out? Other comments about them in the past certainly indicated that people were saving unused fuel and lighting it again later.

Sorry, my mistake. The Ebit box says they can be put out and re-lit. Never tried to do that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

No worries, just startled me to see that. It's been probably 20 years since I messed with an esbit tab so I wasn't sure one way or the other outside of previous comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. The Ebit box says they can be put out and re-lit. Never tried to do that.
    Yep, done it many (many!) times. After blowing them out they have these fuzzy little crystals that are easier to re-ignite than the original tab.

Many factors in the fuel efficiency equation, but the windscreen is a big one. When you think about it, fuel efficiency is really a combination of system efficiency, ambient conditions and water start temp.

The original Esbit foldable stove is built to host any partially used tablet. After blowing out the flame when finished with the heating job, just let the stove cool down a bit and fold it close. The partially used tablet will show this fur-like crystals which make it easy to re-ignite later, plus, it will stick to the stove by a thin layer of paraffin-like stuff.
    I'm doing this since ever I started using Esbit. I usually slip the closed stove back into the original cardbox.

And yes, a windscreen (a really good one) makes a really big difference, way bigger than the tray etc.

Agree with Zelph that a good windscreen is absolutely essential to Esbit efficiency. A tab exposed to air on all sides will take less time to burn but will burn hotter; a tab with some sides covered will burn more slowly but will not burn as hot. What suits your cooking will vary based on size and shape and material of pot and what type of cooking you are doing (quick water boil, simmering, dry baking). There is no substitute for testing different options using your own kit.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++