WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Packed!!!

Default Packed!!!

I just returned from the GSM and the fall colors were absolutely amazing. We were trying to take in as much of the trails as possible during our stay, but being a hour outside of Gatlinburg, traffic was the worst I've ever seen it. At one point it took us 55 minutes to drive 2 miles. A friend told me that when they were at Cades Cove this past weekend that it took them nearly 4 hours to just drive the loop. Beware if you are heading that way, it is very congested.

Journal Entries

We go to the Smokies all the time, but we NEVER go through Gatlinburg. Forget about getting anywhere fast! And yeah, the 11 mile Cades Cove Loop Road is a 2-3 hour trip most of the time.
    Glad you enjoyed the fall colors! Supposed to get chilly tomorrow.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Planned to go this weekend. Figured traffic might not be as bad as colors start to wane. Most back country campsites are wide open.
    But then the weather turned. My son didn't want to go hiking when the forecast is calling for temps in the low 20s.

And agreed about Gatlinburg. I only enter that way if it's before about 9am.

August this year we went through Cades Cove and saw 8 bear, and also took in Abrams’ Falls, what a beautiful hike! This time, nowehere near getting to Cades. They had snow on Clingmans on Saturday, 2”.

We were married at the Little Log Wedding Chapel, somwe always go to the smokies around August. This was the first year we’ve gotten to go twice since 2013. Hoping more trips will present themselves in 2019.

Images

Fall colors, Dolly is in town, the missing link of the Parkway is opening, home football game-------all of those draw people to the Park.........

As a resident of the Knoxville area, I've always said I'd rather go to the Cumberland Plateau (Frozen Head SP, Big South Fork, etc.) than the Smokies. It's just as pretty, better rock formations, less restrictions, and way less crowded. Don't get me wrong, I love the GSMNP, but during high traffic periods, there are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    As a resident of the Knoxville area, I've always said I'd rather go to the Cumberland Plateau (Frozen Head SP, Big South Fork, etc.) than the Smokies. It's just as pretty, better rock formations, less restrictions, and way less crowded. Don't get me wrong, I love the GSMNP, but during high traffic periods, there are better options.
    Dont be spreading the good word of one of TN hikers best kept secrets (cumberland plat) lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Dont be spreading the good word of one of TN hikers best kept secrets (cumberland plat) lol
    Agreed! ...

++ New Posts ++