WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Instant grits and Instant oatmeal

Can instant grits and instant oatmeal be "cooked" directly in their bags?

Sorry for such a simpleton question!

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Can instant grits and instant oatmeal be "cooked" directly in their bags?

Sorry for such a simpleton question!
    When I lost my cup that I eat my oatmeal in, I did some quaker oatmeal in the package a few times and it was fine. Worked best when you turn it upside down and open the bottom instead of the top.
    Since the packaging isn't designed to have boiling water in it... not sure if it's safe to eat that way repeatedly
    This was around 2009 or 2010.... so I provide no guarantees!

Leaks will be a problem. The oatmeal bags are marked for measuring the water required for preparation. In my experience on an almost daily occurrence, the bags drip with cold water in the time required to fill and dump in a microwave safe bowl. That’s with new bags straight from the box. I wouldn’t trust them after days in a backpack.
    Wayne

I think if you were careful and only added a little water at a time you'd be fine. Give the wallpaper paste time to absorb some water before adding more. I don't think you need boiling water, just sort of hot water would do. I guess this could save cleaning a cup or pot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Just bring a zip lock bag with you. The water does not even need to be heated if you want to go stoveless, just let it sit long enough and it will hydrate.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Just bring a zip lock bag with you. The water does not even need to be heated if you want to go stoveless, just let it sit long enough and it will hydrate.
    Leave the ziplock at home and save the planet. Cook in the oatmeal bag or cold soak, it works really well.

I have eaten oatmeal out of the bag for years. No need for boiling water,you just have to let it cool before you eat it. Add a little less than a cup of hot water right into the pouch,stir and eat. Try it in your kitchen to gauge the right amount of water. Why dirty a pot or your cup?

I’ll be preparing grits in the morning.
    In the interest of science I’ll give the cook in the bag method a try. I’ll put the package of grits in a bowl large enough to contain the mess. Stand by.
    Wayne

Images

I opened a small paper bag of instant oatmeal, added water till half the bag was filled and then stirred until well blended and then let sit for 5 min. The water had no effect on the paper. The oatmeal never thickened and so I drank it.....tasted like instant oatmeal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zelph; 11-12-2018 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’ll be preparing grits in the morning.
    In the interest of science I’ll give the cook in the bag method a try. I’ll put the package of grits in a bowl large enough to contain the mess. Stand by.
    Wayne
    The product: Quaker Grits.
    The results: Technically successful. Barely.
    A Ziplock 1 pint freezer bag would work better. The paper envelope that the grits come in was barely large enough to hold the recommended water. The spoon I used wasn’t able to wet out the corners of the paper bag.
    Practice in a backpacking setting without tables or kitchen utensils, etc.
    Conclusion: Yes. It can be done.
    However, I won’t be doing it.
    I have my own homemade recipe for instant oatmeal. I will continue to carry my GSI Insulated mug for hot food.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Thanks for the science experiment!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    ... Why dirty a pot or your cup?
    ...but that's how I get "body" in my coffee!

I have seen one of my hiking friends eat it that way.He also eats Ramen out of its own bag.I won't do it for fear of pouring hot scalding water on myself in the back country.Not worth the 2 or 3 oz you might save on bags.

Save the planet,use those used freezer bags to pack out your trash and toilet paper............We saw some really gross toilet paper last Thursday at Dockery Lake.(note:the deluxe water privy there is inoperable and apparently someone did not know the definition of "cat hole".)

A *LOT* of the scouts I go camping with make their oatmeal right in the bag. It's absolutely baffling behavior to myself and the other scoutmasters, but they seem to like it. I can't imagine it hydrates nearly as well as it would if you put it in a bowl, but it's their life.

If one wants to go freezer bag cooking on this, It is easy to use old fashioned oatmeal (5 cook minute cook time) as instant. I use 2/3 cup oats, a spoonful of brown sugar and 1/3 cup Craisons in a bowl. Add 2/3 cub boiling water and wait 5-10 minutes and your done. At home I add a splash of milk. I'd add milk powder and a bit more water in the field. Much better than instant packets. In cold conditions I suppose a cozy would be a good idea.

a. A 1/3 cup measurer was handy in my kitchen.
    b. I have excess iron in my system, so eat this at home most mornings. Not field tested yet.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've seen lots of folks eat instant oats right out of the pouch. Tried it myself a time or two, successfully....but personally I find eating out of a bag...well I guess uncouth.... I just don't care for doing it. Would rather eat it out of a dish even if that means I have to wipe the dish and clean it after.....same for any other eating out of the bag ideas that I've tried...tacos in a bag, eggs in a bag, mountain house meals in a bag, etc...

Images

Today I did an experiment. Soaked 1 cup steel cut oats in 2 cups water for 3 hours and they softened up to a chew-able state. Added some sugar and consumed.....success. Soaked them in a stainless steel z-bot.

DSCF3792.JPG

++ New Posts ++