WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Underground quilts 20 degree Bandit paired with a Therma-rest pad and Proton blanket can get me into the 20s fairly comfortably.
    I would also recommend trying a Boston S hand warmer

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I pulled the trigger and bought the Antelope. Hopefully, as a cold-sleeping female, it will keep me warm to 15*. Can’t wait to try it out.
    Use the collar and hood to keep all the warm air.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Do you have the WM Antelope? Like many people before me, I’m struggling to choose between an Antelope with overfill and a Versalite with overfill.
    Versalite is my winter bag, when temp is under 20 ish it comes along. Unless im just playing with stacking quilts.

With down clothing, i wouldnt hesitate to take it to 0.

To keep my bag on my pad, I use two Sea-to-Summit straps around my pad and bag. I tightened them loose enough to be comfortable and to keep the pad and bag together. One strap near the hallow of the knee, and the second one at the waist area. https://www.rei.com/product/813688/s...s-package-of-2

Thats a good idea to use straps.
    I just ordered a Hyke & Byke Eolus 0 degree bag so that should keep me much warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by jungleland1972 View Post
    Thats a good idea to use straps.
    I just ordered a Hyke & Byke Eolus 0 degree bag so that should keep me much warmer.
    Let us know how this bag works between 0 & 15 degrees.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Let us know how this bag works between 0 & 15 degrees.
    Wayne
    It's unlikely to be that cold but I will let everyone know how it goes. Probably do a test run next weekend.

The rating on a bag is the temp at which you will suffer. You need a 15 degree bag if you want to be warm at 30. Ask me how I know...
    Also, what are your thermals? Merino wool head to toe is our go to sleeping clothes for cold. Include a balaclava and wear it while you sleep. Icebreaker is nice stuff.

It's unlikely to be that cold but I will let everyone know how it goes. Probably do a test run next weekend.
    You said you bought a 0 F degree bag.
    I’m skeptical without real world testing. I test my stuff. So far my 20F bag has worked well at 15F. I’m sad to say that I wasn’t paying attention to the forecast and missed a 12-6-15 degree weekend. I’m paying closer attention this year.
    Wayne

Just buy a S-Boston hand warmer...You get about 18 hrs of 160 degree warmth from one of these... put it inside your sleeping socks then throw it into the foot of your bag before you get into it to preheat your socks and the bag. Once in the warm bag/quilt put on those toasty warm socks then for safety put the hand warmer outside your sleeping bag or quilt perhaps in your sneakers to dry them out. you could put those sneakers under the head or foot of your pad which may add additional warmth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7c887EoG8

Images

Shug has tons of cold weather experience, watch some of his videos for some top notch ideas:

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post

Shug has tons of cold weather experience, watch some of his videos for some top notch ideas:

Zelph, thanks for the links, those videos were really good. I tested my gear (Hyke & Byke zero degree down bag) in my backyard at about 30 degrees and was a bit cold but not freezing. With better sleep clothes and some hand warmers I should be good to go. I think the most challenging thing may be trying to get warm prior to getting in the tent for the night.

Zelph, thanks for the links, those videos were really good. I tested my gear (Hyke & Byke zero degree down bag) in my backyard at about 30 degrees and was a bit cold but not freezing. With better sleep clothes and some hand warmers I should be good to go. I think the most challenging thing may be trying to get warm prior to getting in the tent for the night.
    Hot drinks and sugary foods. If not hypothermic you should warm up in little time. Have fun!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

jungleland1972, have you tested your 0* degree bag yet? In the above video it shows Shug wrapping an extra jacket around the bottom of his bag to be sure to keep his feet warm. He also uses Possum down socks for sleeping. And he keeps his head wraped up good also to get a good nights sleep. He said he slept about 12 hours that night.

Awrap feet.JPGkeep warm.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post

jungleland1972, have you tested your 0* degree bag yet? In the above video it shows Shug wrapping an extra jacket around the bottom of his bag to be sure to keep his feet warm. He also uses Possum down socks for sleeping. And he keeps his head wraped up good also to get a good nights sleep. He said he slept about 12 hours that night.

Awrap feet.JPGkeep warm.JPG
    Yep, I posted above but I did test it in my backyard at about 30 degrees and was a bit cold but not freezing. With better sleep clothes and some hand warmers I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    The rating on a bag is the temp at which you will suffer. You need a 15 degree bag if you want to be warm at 30. Ask me how I know...
    This isn't true with the better brands. Among others, Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering in particular stand out as using very reasonable temp ratings.

Tested my WM Antelope to 16* and stayed warm but I still need to work on keeping my face warm. I’m used to the BA Roxy Ann that stays in place while I rotate inside of it. Thinkin this bag is going to require a new strategy and have to rotate with me so I can keep the hood cinched.

Tickled pink...have no doubt that it can handle down to 10*, maybe less.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    This isn't true with the better brands. Among others, Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering in particular stand out as using very reasonable temp ratings.
    It is true for most brands, however, and especially true of those using EN ratings, since the EN "Lower" rating is the one most often prominently advertised, to give the impression that a bag of a surprisingly low weight, bulk, and price, will keep you warm down to the indicated degree. That, of course, is not what an EN Lower rating means, but that is the initial impression (at least) of advertising copy. The harsh reality is that a heavier, bulkier, more expensive bag is needed to keep you warm at the indicated temperature. For MOST brands.

It's wonderful that WM and FF etc. over-deliver, but their non-use of a standard reference makes comparisons more difficult, not to mention undercutting consistency and objectivity. For instance if I know EN (lower) of 20F means I'm good to 40F, and I want a similarly warm WM bag, do I buy a 40F WM bag? 35F? 45F? Who knows.

Will they always over-deliver, or when the business passes on to another owner, might they start cutting back on the margin in their own ratings? And how would we know?

Tested my WM Antelope to 16* and stayed warm but I still need to work on keeping my face warm. I’m used to the BA Roxy Ann that stays in place while I rotate inside of it. Thinkin this bag is going to require a new strategy and have to rotate with me so I can keep the hood cinched.

Tickled pink...have no doubt that it can handle down to 10*, maybe less.
    Kudos!

Out of curiosity, what was your pad and sleepwear, if you don't mind sharing with the rest of the class?
    Seems that knowing the full sleep system is helpful in putting it into context.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Also, what are your thermals? Merino wool head to toe is our go to sleeping clothes for cold. Include a balaclava and wear it while you sleep. Icebreaker is nice stuff.
    This hasn't been the case for me. I've had the same 30 degree mont bell bag for 15 years. It keeps me warm right down to the rating paired with an insulated exped pad. Also, some people are cold sleepers so the ratings may not be accurate for them. I've also found that, with age, I'm losing a bit of cold tolerance so I sleep with full merino underwear on if the temps dip below 35.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++