WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We are totally incapable of either finding an appropriate limb to hang a bear bag or throwing it in a way that it doesn't get tangled in tree limbs, so we changed to the Ursack three years ago. We added the aluminum liner last year. We also use the Opsak with it. I have been amazed how the Opsak contains food smells, at least to my nose.

We usually wedge it between two small trees and tie it as shown on the Ursack videos. If we can't find two small trees together, we just tie it to one. We've never had an issue with our food...yet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    I live in grizzly country. I wouldn't mind buying the metal insert to use, but I've not really looked at it. If anyone has one, would it be easy enough to insert the metal part after I get to camp, when I'm storing my food, but when hiking have the food in the ursack, but the metal sleeve thing not in the ursack? I was wondering if I could use it to provide stiffness to the pack, like some folks use a pad to add rigidity to their pack? I have a bear canister, but it takes up lots of room in my pack. I'd rather carry an ursack, but I'd also rather not have the protection the metal provides, but not have thing be as bulky in my pack as an usrack is.
    FWIW,mine fits horizontally in my ULA Circuit with all my other gear in the pack except for what goes in those awesome side and stretch pockets.It will also fit under the top strap to carry on top of the pack if you want to carry it that way.I've never done it because it's white but if I did it would go inside another bag of another color.
    Putting a sit pad on top of it makes a handy stool while cooking too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++