WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The app: Databook, Elevation, Topos, Reference Map, Compass, Journal Entry, Weather

There's a new app that may be of interest.

No cost for data, no advertisements, no in-app purchases.

It's available for 6 trails (and counting), AT, CDT, PCT, LT, CT and JMT. Manual and tracking GPS features, add way points, SI or Standard, reverse data book trail direction, filter way points, way point alarms and tons of other cool features.

You'll love 'sim mode'. You can hike the trail in the comfort of your arm chair on a rainy winter evening.

Downloading topo maps is solid and reliable. Download a single topo section or the whole trail. Check it out (PCT shown):

I've used the older Postholer Trails and found it had lots of good information. It will be interesting to explore this new product.
    Trail name Catnapper

Images

I'm sorry, did I miss the NAME of the app? Where to get it? Other?

I can be dense.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

It's called Postholer Trails GPS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.postholer.trailsgps

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm sorry, did I miss the NAME of the app? Where to get it? Other?

I can be dense.
    LOL. No, I was dense. If you click the image it will take you to the app page. I did omit an actual link or name.

Soooo, it is the Postholer Trails +GPS app found at: https://www.postholer.com/theApp

Sorry about that!

I hate to show my ignorance but... is this just available for Android or will it work with iPhone? Yeah, I'm pretty ignorant about apps and such.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

Looks like Android only for now, no mention of an iPhone version and it’s not on the App Store

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's what I thought. Thanks!
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

The info at the app store gives us a pretty good idea of whats in the app etc but I for one would like to test drive the app...perhaps you could offer a trial. Time limited would be the nicest, sim mode or no GPS input perhaps. Looks nice to me but like many I'm pretty happy with Guthooks, but not adversed to buying an alternative if its useful enough.

Quote Originally Posted by postholer.com View Post
    LOL. No, I was dense. If you click the image it will take you to the app page. I did omit an actual link or name.

Soooo, it is the Postholer Trails +GPS app found at: https://www.postholer.com/theApp

Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    ...but I for one would like to test drive the app...perhaps you could offer a trial. Time limited would be the nicest, sim mode or no GPS input perhaps. Looks nice to me but like many I'm pretty happy with Guthooks, but not adversed to buying an alternative if its useful enough.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Gotcha. Why spend $10 when it may not be what you want?

That $10 gets you track data, way point data and topo maps for 6 trails. For Guthooks at $60 for data, per trail, that's $360.

Most importantly, postholer.com has always been about data, first and foremost. It was never a case of, "Let's build an app, and hey, we need data".

Given the free online data books, one of the free topo maps sets, the free google maps, free elevation charts, free planner, free snow analysis, etc, etc, on the web site we think it's $10 well spent.

You make a good point however since I'm only $8.99 into Guthooks and that covers at least next seasons hikes, it really comes down to functionality for me. But I'm sure someone will eventually make a comparision between the two so I'll just wait till I see what others think.

Interesting, does this app show water sources as well? That was very useful in the Guthook app. ( including user feedback from the field)

Quote Originally Posted by letstieoneon View Post
    Interesting, does this app show water sources as well? That was very useful in the Guthook app. ( including user feedback from the field)
    Natural water sources, not caches. Caches and the user field reports are fleeting and misleading. Many hikers might rely on a single hiker report, that may be outdated.

Nice, thanks for the quick reply. I was actually referring to the natural water sources and their "seasonal" flows and availability. If your app provides this information then it will meet my needs.

AT 2012

anybody know how to move up the trail when in sim mode to a specific point (even roughly...) without hitting the compass to advance from the start of the trail?
    Lazarus

++ New Posts ++