WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where to live

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    I will be leaving Florida in May or June to finish the AT. I have hiked to Pawling, NY in two different LASH. Might start back at DWG just to give myself a little more time before the Whites.

Then after that I will decide. Florida has become my home but at the same time I wish i could be hiking right now in the mountains. I just feel better when i am.

What's funny....to me anyway.....is that I'm thinking about basically retiring in the mountains when most people come to Florida to retire.
    Great thread. I too live in Florida and have lived here for 45 years, but in the last year, I have been contemplating a move to somewhere where there is better hiking. Thanks for starting the thread.

Good luck finishing the AT next year. That's my goal, too. All I have left is Maine.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Perrymk mentioned state income tax. New York, Georgia, Alabama and Virginia have state income tax.

Tennessee does not have a state income tax on earned income but does have a tax on unearned income ( interest and dividends). There is a rather hefty sales tax. Property tax and wheel taxes vary widely from county to county.

Not sure about North Carolina or others.

[QUOTE=Wesgoat;2228576]I got into backpacking 3 years ago. I live in South Florida and there are not alot of opportunities for hiking here. Yes, i know about the Florida trail and have hiked a small portion of it. But, it's not the same as being in the mountains.
    Wesgoat,
    I lived on Ft Myers Beach for 10 years, Punta Gorda for a couple years, and have been in the northern Florida area(not far from Alabama) for 17 years. I have recently retired and, like yourself, would like to be nearer to or in mountains. But, living on a fixed income, I need to keep the finances in mind. Were I to sell my home, I'd have enough to purchase a smaller home on a good sized lot in or near mountains. Florida is one of only 9 states that don't tax Social Security. Every other state at which I've looked taxes SS and that is a good portion of my income, covering most of my "nut". I'd have to live more frugally elsewhere, but haven't checked out relative property tax rates yet. I would love to be able to not worry about hurricanes, formosan termites, and a long drive or flight to mountain hiking!
    good luck in your decision!

]
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    Virginia, young man, Virginia!
    +1
    Also some very affordable small towns to live in

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Big Cranky says it best. We all tend to favor the places where we live, but really ANYWHERE in the Southern Appalachians is hiker heaven. So make your decision based on proximity to other stuff: family, work, whatever.
    Craft beer. Food Trucks. Live music.
    Asheville. Definitely Asheville!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Perrymk mentioned state income tax. New York, Georgia, Alabama and Virginia have state income tax.

Tennessee does not have a state income tax on earned income but does have a tax on unearned income ( interest and dividends). There is a rather hefty sales tax. Property tax and wheel taxes vary widely from county to county.

Not sure about North Carolina or others.
    Somewhere online is a 50 state list of total tax bight.
    Wayne

You could think outside the box and go to Sweden or Norway. These countries have constitutionally guaranteed right to hike and camp on all undeveloped land.

Hey guys appreciate all the responses. Can you guys get a little more specific about why and where. Methodman.....crushed grapes.....you guys say virginia......which i loved hiking thru couple years ago. Why? Where? Wayne you mentioned asheville.....which is definetly on my radar.....why? Other than food trucks and music. I live in Naples and i get that here.

Anything more specific would be appreciated. Dan roper talking about chattanooga was great.

Yes, taxes are a thought but not the end of the world. I have lived in Florida for 35 years.....other than 2 years in Vegas. No state income tax is nice. Tennessee, North Florida, fits that.....but at same time that is not the first thing I'm looking for. I want to be close to backpacking opportunities. Interesting and different types of hikes. I just want to explore. It's all about experiences.

Once again, i appreciate all the info and i am already learning more. Thanks to all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Odd man out......actually I have a friend that lives in Scotland. That is a thought, but probably at least 3-5 years away. Want to explore more of the USA first

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Somewhere online is a 50 state list of total tax bight.
    Wayne
    Looking at "taxes" is like looking at only half of a math equation. To do it right, gotta look at both sides. What services does the jurisdiction offer (or fail to provide/offer) its residents?

To the OP, you've gotten lots of good suggestions. Per your post request, I'll second the suggestion of Chattanooga. I live in Nashville, which is somewhat centrally-located for good weekend hiking trips all over the Southeast, but Chattanooga is even better-located. It's a happenin' town (a la Asheville), with city-owned high-speed Internet system, plus a big river and plenty of TVA lakes if that's your thing too. It's not too big, not too small, but is close to Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham. And it now has its very own REI.

Chattanooga is also in TAG Country for cavers. That's Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia. Some of the most-caves-per-square-mile of any area of the world.

Finally, not far from several cities on the Atlantic Ocean nor the Gulf of Mexico.

A downside is I-75 traffic (all those Yankees retiring to Florida clog it up).
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Craft beer. Food Trucks. Live music.
    Asheville. Definitely Asheville!
    Wayne
    I love Asheville, maybe cuz I was born there!
    The Smokies, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah, Chimney Rock.
    Beautiful place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You could think outside the box and go to Sweden or Norway. These countries have constitutionally guaranteed right to hike and camp on all undeveloped land.
    Only problem with the Scandinavian countries is the possible high cost of living, but I'm sure with much research you could live on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The area between Asheville NC, Brevard NC, and Greenville SC. Hiking and a variety of outdoor activities and lifestyle options. In this area many full lifetimes of basically an infinite number of options exist...well beyond just the AT. I live in the Hotlanta area and most times go here regionally.
    These areas are primo!!!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I lived in Knoxville for a bit. Fell in love with the Smokys.. But then I lived near Lake Superior for a couple of decades, and added sea kayaking to my backpacking addiction. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore was busy in the summer, but the shoulder seasons were fantastic. Now I live in a basin/valley, between Yellowstone and the Beartooths and the Bighorn’s and the Absarokas and within weekend paddling in the Tetons. Pick a spot. Enjoy an extended “vacation” or “work stay,” and move along.

Take a look at Ashe County, NC in the Lansing area. Low property taxes, very affordable housing, 15 minute drive to Greyson Highlands, New River for canoeing, 60 minutes to Boone & Abingdon, VA, 45 from Damascus. Beautiful area but the winters can be cold and wet.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesgoat View Post
    Hey guys appreciate all the responses. Can you guys get a little more specific about why and where. Methodman.....crushed grapes.....you guys say virginia......which i loved hiking thru couple years ago. Why? Where? Wayne you mentioned asheville.....which is definetly on my radar.....why? Other than food trucks and music. I live in Naples and i get that here.

Anything more specific would be appreciated. Dan roper talking about chattanooga was great.

Yes, taxes are a thought but not the end of the world. I have lived in Florida for 35 years.....other than 2 years in Vegas. No state income tax is nice. Tennessee, North Florida, fits that.....but at same time that is not the first thing I'm looking for. I want to be close to backpacking opportunities. Interesting and different types of hikes. I just want to explore. It's all about experiences.

Once again, i appreciate all the info and i am already learning more. Thanks to all

I lived in Knoxville for many years, and I think it is perfectly situated for what you say you want. I hiked and paddled all the areas folks have described here, for years.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Take a look at Ashe County, NC in the Lansing area. Low property taxes, very affordable housing, 15 minute drive to Greyson Highlands, New River for canoeing, 60 minutes to Boone & Abingdon, VA, 45 from Damascus. Beautiful area but the winters can be cold and wet.
    Shhhhhhhh! If you tell them they will come. 😄
    Cold. Wet. Colder! Wetter! An understatement. But you get used to it. I suppose. The recent ice storm was beautiful. I’m glad it happened after we left West Jefferson. Someday the rebuilding of US 221 will be completed. Cheers!
    Wayne

Chattanooga needs to be your western boundry! I am looking to relocate to parts north and east of here. I may stay as close as Cleveland TN but I sure love the real Trail corridor soo.... Chattanooga looks good on a map but I'm 2 hrs from the bottom 150 trail miles.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I spent a great summer living in a Tipi in Laurel Springs next to a little creek---I called it Medicine Creek---and not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway. This was around 1994. We set up "Tribal Grounds" of the Southern Metis and had pow wows by the creek and even ran sweat lodges. One time in a rainstorm the little creek jumped its banks and my tent got swamped under 2 feet of water . . . so I bailed.

With apologies to Hikermiker in Post #5, I'm afraid Connecticut eliminates itself on the tax front. All income, including Social Security, is taxed. No realistic change is on the horizon.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++