WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default Non-AT Day Hike Suggestions - Pennsylvania

I was planning to do a late season section hike next week from Palmerton to DWG, but the short days, cold weather, and rain forecast have me reconsidering. I'm still flying up, but am thinking about doing some day hikes instead. I would prefer out and backs, 10-12 miles tops, and not on the AT, which I either have done already, or will do eventually. Anyway, any suggestions for cool hikes or views in the northeastern PA / New Jersey area?
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

NJ. Ringwood SP Loops, Ramapo Mt, and loops in the Greenwood Lake area(Bearfort Ridge/Surprise Lake. Black River County Park - Cooper Mill/Hacklebarney SP.

When in Philly area I liked day hiking around historical sites combined with walking trails in Wissahickon Valley Park/Fairmont Park. I tried to include walking along the Schuykill River to make it a hybrid urban and wooded trails affair. A short but view rewarding urban hike is walking across the Ben Franklin Bridge between PA and NJ. The pedestrian walkway is above the traffic level. I still aimed for non rush hr timeframes. I often combined it with romps along the Delaware River waterfront in both states but I usually liked the PA waterfront more.

Images

Cool, I'll check them out. Thanks for the ideas.

Glen Onoko Falls is pretty popular. A short day hike though, you can extend it through the State Game Lands, but careful as I believe that is the start of deer season. Hickory Run SP has some nice trails, nothing that interesting though. Trexler Nature Preserve is a unique 9 mile loop. Some great areas in Central PA, but that is 3 hours away. Those Northern NJ areas are pretty nice. Are you flying into Allentown?

Images

Yep - Allentown Friday afternoon. Thanks for the ideas, I'll check them out.

Cool, safe travels. Trexler is definitely the closest interesting place. It is tough because most of the best local places are on the AT...DWG, Lehigh Gap, Bake Oven Knob and the Pinnacle are the best. Hawk Mountain is near the Pinnacle, but not actually on the AT. It has a fee though. One of the few non AT places with a view nearby. Big Pocono State Park has a great view, but you can drive right up to the best spot. Lots of neat rail trail easy hiking all the rivers, like the D&L Trail. That goes almost the entire 165 miles now, so you could do a lot of easy miles.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I was planning to do a late season section hike next week from Palmerton to DWG, but the short days, cold weather, and rain forecast have me reconsidering. I'm still flying up, but am thinking about doing some day hikes instead. I would prefer out and backs, 10-12 miles tops, and not on the AT, which I either have done already, or will do eventually. Anyway, any suggestions for cool hikes or views in the northeastern PA / New Jersey area?
    Rocks, rocks, more rocks, and then some rocks.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Images

I found a rock covered with ice today...OW Alt.JPG

Ouch! Where did that happen at and where have you been? It has been cold lately, so lots of stuff froze.

there's the Delaware Watergap loop. it connects to the trail for about 1/10 of a mile. parking lot is off 80 on the jersey side. great views.

Check out The General
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++